[JP] RAdml Reynolds & Lt. Cmdr Marshall - Dude, Where’s My Ribbon? (Part I)

Quinn Reynolds

Jul 24, 2019, 9:46:21 PM7/24/19
to Gorkon (IC)

((Sto'Vo'Kor, USS Gorkon))

::The sparkling blue marble of Earth revolved below them, sunlight dancing on the oceans and cotton wool clouds drifting through the atmosphere. The tall windows of the crew lounge offered a spectacular view of the planet, the cradle of human civilisation and of course, the Federation itself. Ships buzzed about in orbit like bees searching for nectar, and the spacedocks of McKinley Station twinkled in the distance.

::It was morning, at least by the ship's internal chronometers, and many of the Gorkon's officers had assembled at the request of the captain, as well as a wide variety of the ship's senior ratings. Quinn often left the presentation of service ribbons and promotions until the end of shore leave, but there were a variety of reasons — mostly professional, one personal — that she thought it best to attend to it at the beginning, for once. And so she and Jo Marshall were stood on the small stage in Sto'Vo'Kor, a table behind them bearing a rainbow of ribbons and a small assortment of rank pips.::

Reynolds: Thank you all for coming. I'm sure you're all eager to get out of here and enjoy your shore leave, so I'll try not to take up too much of your time. ::She said it lightly, a wry twist to her words.:: But we thought, at least for those of you who have family on Earth, you might want to take some good news home to them.

Marshall: Not to mention, get started on the usual intemperance. ::The blonde standing beside the Admiral slipped her hands out of her pockets, with a grin that showed she was already looking forward to partaking in some of the wonders waiting for them down on the planet.:: It’s been a hard mission, with many unexpected events, so it’s good to see everyone here looking something like fresh-faced.

Reynolds: Which does bring me somewhat neatly to the first of the ribbons I have to present today. Starfleet awards the Purple Heart to those injured in the course of performing their duties; our recognition for the sacrifice made in service to the Federation. ::Her hazel eyes swept around the room, pausing on a few individuals, some less hale than others.:: Lieutenant Commander Joceyln Marshall, Lieutenants Junior Grade Valesha Sienelis and Groznin Smith, Ensign Kyrrha Tereen, would you please step forward?

::Jo was by her side, of course, and so she waited for the others to make their toward the raised platform. Her eyes lingered on Valesha; the Romulan was still pallid, her eyes rimmed with shadows, and there was a heaviness to her gait that Quinn had not seen before. But she was up and about, and back in her uniform, with no tedious JAG officers daring to trespass. The other two officers seemed less troubled by the injuries they had taken as they made their way up.

::With the four officers now on stage, Quinn plucked a small tray of ribbons from the table. The first of the purple bands was pinned to Jo's chest with a light touch, with a murmured "don't do it again," and a wry smile. Then she passed the tray to the Lieutenant Commander, stepping out of the way as Jo grinned furtively in response.

::The second of the bands Jo pinned to Groznin's chest, with a parting solid pat on the Denobulan's bicep. His efforts had prevented her from becoming one with the choir invisible, or at least prevented a heavy injury from a heavier Nausicaan, receiving a ruptured intestine in the process. However, it seemed as though he had begun to come into his own in his duty post, protecting her without a care for himself.

::The third she pinned onto Tereen for her shoulder dislocation sustained in the Vortex. Working through it, swallowing down that pain and maintaining her awareness of the needs of her team had paid off, and Jo smiled at the hybrid Ensign, pride threading through it. The woman had courage, brains and will, in spades. Starfleet really did take the best, and in those moments, it was easy to see why.

::The last, however, was for the Romulan, who stood a few inches taller than she did. The Admiral had filled her in on the role Valesha had played in the undercover operation, and the betrayal she had felt so deeply from both her and her walking nightmare sibling had been an elaborate illusion, one she still wasn't particularly joyful about, but that paled in comparison to what the two had endured. For it, Valesha had come away on the precipice between life and death, poisoned by a pollen of her own home. As Jo pinned the ribbon to her jacket, she quietly spoke her appreciation and gratitude for what Valesha had done, words meant only for the Romulan, who answered with a swallow and a small nod.::

Marshall: Congratulations, all. We're keeping our medical staff in work and stars know, they need the distraction.

::As the crew put their hands together for the solemn celebration that was that particular ribbon and the recipients stepped back into the gathered officers to receive their individual congratulations, Jo picked up the next rack. Only two golden bands lay inside, though the names on both made her grin.::

Marshall: In recognition and reward for individuals who have sustained, organised and run a department with ruthless and maniacal efficiency, ::her eyebrows flit upwards to show where the joke was,:: Starfleet marks this incredibly significant milestone achievement with the Department Chief Ribbon. Lieutenant Commander Reynolds and Lieutenant MacFarlane, please step up.

::There was no small amount of pride in the grin she tried to suppress and failed terribly to do so at her partner as Erin and Tasha approached, and with a nod, she handed the rack to the Admiral. She approached MacFarlane first, pinning the ribbon that matched the colours of her uniform to her chest and offering a faint smile. Their recent skirmish on the bridge notwithstanding, the engineer had held her own as chief; adapting and learning as every day passed. Given some time, she could be among the best that Quinn had had the privilege of serving with.

::Then it was the other Reynolds, one who probably should have earned the ribbon already, had the universe she spent most of her years in not been such a ruin. She seemed almost as awkward receiving the honour as Quinn did presenting it, and both women were glad to get the exchange over as quickly as possible.::

Reynolds: Congratulations to you both, and thank you for everything that you do.

::She led the applause, the celebration somewhat lighter and more jubilant than the previous award. While it faded away, she nodded to her new yeoman, who held a sizeable presentation box filled identical, green and black slashed ribbons. As Quinn started talking, the young woman began to wind her way through the crew lounge, pinning the ribbons to chests of the many officers who had earned them.::

Reynolds: I hope you'll forgive me for presenting this one out in the crowds; there's a few too many of us to all get up on stage. As many of you are all too painfully aware, after years in the shadows, the Orion Syndicate has once again risen to be one of the most prominent threats against the safety and security of the Federation and its citizens. And so myself, Lieutenant Commanders Marshall, Sevo and Nkai; Lieutenants Adea, Stoyer, MacFarlane and L'rann; Lieutenants Junior Grade Neathler, Smith, Xerix, Fortune, Sevo, Marshall and Sienelis; Ensigns Cayne, Tereen, Namura, Keretene and Namura, Petty Officer First Class Johns and Crewman First Class Roshier Jackson are all awarded the Orion Syndicate Service Medal for our contributions to the ongoing efforts to combat them.

::Rattling off the names without missing a beat, the hearty sounds of clapping hands and spoken approval washed over the inhabitants of the crew lounge once she had finished. It continued until the yeoman finished her rounds, returning to the side of the stage with her tray of ribbons dispensed. That left the two senior officers free to move on to the next; a single banded ribbon in shades of blue and grey, and Quinn yielded the floor once again to her First Officer.::

Marshall: Einstein's Parable of Quantum Insanity tells us that in order to achieve a different outcome; you have to be willing to change the method of application. Starfleet prides itself on those officers who demonstrate improvement and invention in the application of science and technology, and in doing so, awards the Innovation Ribbon to those who distinguish themselves in this arena. ::Her eyes searched the gathered officers until she found the one she looked for.:: Ensign Kyrrha Tereen, won’t you please stand up.

::The two command officers waited as the young hybrid woman made her way up to the stage. The Admiral welcomed her with a typical muted smile, pleased that the new addition to the crew had so quickly proven exactly why she belonged there. Her fingers light and deft, she pinned the service ribbon just underneath Tereen's combadge, and offered a few words before stepping back.::

Reynolds: Quite the first impression you made, Ensign. ::Her smile turned a little impish, and she nodded her approval.:: Congratulations.

::The assembled crew brought their hands together once again for the remarkable new ensign, lasting longer than it took for the young woman to return to her place among the crowd.

Reynolds: We all know the motto "ex astris, scientia", but sometimes I really think it should be "expect the unexpected". During the course of the Gorkon's mission, we received a distress call and a brave few souls answered its call. Despite the unusual and trying circumstances inside and outside the Whydah, they were able to rescue several of its crew — who, I'm told, are starting to recover in the care of Starfleet Medical. Lieutenant Commander Nkai, Lieutenant Junior Grade Sevo, and Ensigns Keretene and Gnaxac, would you please come forward?

::The four approached and stood upon the platform. From the average height and slightly buff Rodulan, the moderately taller and broad-shouldered Trill, traditionally tattooed face of their Maori scientist, to the diminutive in stature but not in spirit Ferengi, Jo considered that the scene would make for a wonderful Starfleet recruitment poster for diversity among officers.::

Marshall: For your bravery and accomplishment in preserving the lives of those on the Whydah, Starfleet awards you the Lifesaving Ribbon. ::She held the four boxes containing the silver and red material, but didn’t pin them just yet.:: However, considering those same actions were performed entirely honourably under intense pressure, our Admiral has also awarded you the Captain’s Commendation.

::Considering there were two of them, and four for ribbons, Jo tossed two of each underarm to Quinn and pinned the received awards onto Keretene and Gnaxac. The Admiral neatly caught them, and with a small smile, pinned two ribbons to each of the taller men's chests.::

Reynolds: Whatever we might have thought of them, you did the brave and right thing in bringing them back. Congratulations, and thank you.

::There was a hearty ovation from their audience, an appreciation of a job well done under difficult circumstances. Quinn happily participated, as proud of her officers as anyone else might be. When the noise quietened, she spoke again.::

TBC...

--

Rear Admiral Quinn Reynolds

Commanding Officer