[JP] Lt. Sienelis & PO1 Johns - Under the Moonlit Sky (Part I)

Jo Marshall

Aug 7, 2021, 4:17:45 PM8/7/21
to UFOP: StarBase 118: USS Gorkon

((Beach, Cochtois Lagoon, Deluvia IV))

Several bonfires lit along the edge of the beach as the dusk drifted across the sky of Cochtois Lagoon. The shore became a humble hero of the setting, with sand a delicate honey and verbena shade, earthen and subdued. Under the dazzling and gorgeous moon, the luminous lifeforms danced like blue sapphires in the indigo sea. In the distance, pinpricks of stars glistened like precious stones embedded into a mosaic, waiting to be noticed. The ever-warm waters and briny waves lathered the dunes in white lace, while sea glass gleamed in the softly golden sands. The tropical paradise sang its soul so brightly, its people blessed to call it home.

Under the glimmering glow of starlight and firelight, Chris twirled the band of silver glinting around his right third finger as he stood beside a roaring bonfire. Deluvia IV's tenderness had crept into his soul from the first time they'd sat on the beach, beneath the glow of the fire, with sea salt crunching through their hair strands and a bottle of tequila slowly going down, laughing and eager for the future; a big, open, shining galaxy ahead of them.

Valesha caught his eye, and his fingers intertwined with hers. The love of his human existence, and now his wife, in partnership on the trip of a lifetime. As dusk and flames flickered across Valesha's face, evoking a contented and bright grin, his heart sprang in his chest, and he felt the muscle beneath his breastbone throb.

C. Sienelis: It hardly seems real that it was two years ago, does it?

Sienelis: No. ::She returned his grin, radiant and bright.:: But I think I’m going to prefer how this evening turns out.

Buoyed by the events of their special day, even the memory of that incident couldn’t diminish her smile. Tonight was theirs, shared with family and friends, a celebration under the stars they lived their lives between. Small lanterns made of thin gossamer paper floated across the sky, and similar lights drifted over the surface of the bay, where they'd dived into the beautiful waters on their maiden nautical adventure together.

C. Sienelis: I hope so. I'm trying to make your heart skip a beat by doing anything other than being incarcerated.

Sienelis: You’ve already managed it a few times today.

The sea breeze caught the diaphanous fabrics of her dress; shades of ivory and rose to honour the traditions of Chris’ home, and cut in a fashion reminiscent of Rihan wedding robes to honour hers. She looked down at her hands, a band of silver on her right ring finger, a bracelet glittering on her left wrist, and once again, her heart thumped against her ribs. Eyes bright, she smiled and turned her gaze back toward him.

Sienelis: Muzh

C. Sienelis: Ailhun.²

He revelled in the shine of her emerald eyes, the exchange of words, and the sharing of the most intimate aspects of one another. Their wedding occurred earlier in the afternoon, as the midday sun slowed in the sky, dropping toward the horizon line.

((Flashback: earlier that day))

Flowers created two rings on the sand, local petals from the nearby forests and palms elegantly set out to create two spaces in communion with nature. One smaller than the other, in the centre for the couple and their familiar officiant, the other shaped like a hexagon for their family and friends to surround. The sun raced over an azure sky, leaving behind streaks of gold, crimson, orange, and lavender. A mirror to the morning, and a promise of rising light after a velvety night.

Reynolds: ...before you declare your vows to one another, I ask you to confirm it is your intention to be married today. ::She paused.:: Valesha ir-Jhianhre t'Sienelis, do you come here freely and without reservation to give yourself to Krištof Thierevich Yanovna in marriage? If so, answer “I do.”

Valesha grinned at the Admiral, wondering how long she’d spent practising the pair of names to pull them off without hesitation or stumble. But the thought was just a flicker in her mind, lasting only as long as a few racing heartbeats, more pressing matters demanding her attention. She glanced toward the Russian at her side, the sunset dancing in his sparkling hazel eyes.

Sienelis: I do.

Reynolds: Krištof Thierevich Yanovna, do you come here freely and without reservation to give yourself to Valesha ir-Jhianhre t'Sienelis in marriage? If so, answer “I do.”

Johns: I do.

He answered without hesitation, casting a glance at the Romulan beside him. She looked stunning in her dress, the slight tan from sunbathing contrasting with the vivid colours; the light to his dark blue Romulan shirt, viridian and cuprous flecks in the material shining through under the sun. His pulse pounded in a familiar rhythm, his grin wide and happy, trying to hold itself together long enough to wrap around the words he wanted to say.

Reynolds: Valesha, Chris; having heard that it is your intention to marry one another, I now ask you to declare your marriage vows. Please face each other and hold hands.

With a smile, the slim hybrid officiating their ceremony gestured toward Valesha, indicating she should go first. If the Romulan had thought her heart was thumping before, it now broke all records. She slipped her hands into his, took a breath to steel her nerves, and spoke aloud the promises she’d been waiting two years to make.

Sienelis: I vow to share my life with you, to be your best friend, your devoted partner and your Faehht Rrhasi.³ You have my love and my loyalty, and I will be by your side to share in times of joy and sorrow, triumph and failure, plenty and want. Whether our future is easy or hard, I promise to cherish you always; to laugh and dance with you, to support and comfort you, to build our dreams together, and to share all my secrets.

She took a deep breath, gently squeezing his fingers. Try as she might, she couldn’t slow her fluttering heart—but did she want to? The heady race of her pulse was part of the magic, more so for knowing that Chris’ was in a similar dash.

Sienelis: I promise this with all my heart, for all the days we have in front of us; a vow I make and keep with love and honour, and make new with each day we share.

Valesha fell quiet, cheeks aflame in olive, and the Admiral lifted an open hand toward Chris. His gaze remained unbroken as the Russian stammered, cheeks turning cherry beneath his dark bristles as words stuck in his throat. A warmth spread behind his eyes. He swallowed, his hands clasped in hers, heartbeats like the strings of a duet.

Johns: I promise to share my life with you honestly. Though all the changes our hectic life can bring, ::he flicked a cheeky look to Quinn, smile growing as he returned his gaze to Valesha,:: I promise to honour and care for you, to appreciate and encourage your own fulfilment as an individual. I promise to share your hopes and dreams, celebrate with you in your joys, and comfort you in your sorrows. You’ll be on my mind even if you’re not with me. I promise I’ll always be there for you, Valesha, today and every day after. I’ll be your companion, friend, and your lover. Ya predlagayu tebe svoyu ruku i serdtse⁴.

Promises made in the presence of their friends and family, vows of commitment and trust, honesty and love. As he took a deep breath, his thumb stroked across the back of hers.

Johns: I love you, Valesha, as I did yesterday and will tomorrow. However long we have, ::he gripped his hands with a firm squeeze,:: it’ll be a thrilling journey with you.

He felt his heartbeat beneath his sternum and quietened as his gaze lingered between hazel and green. Valesha swallowed, her gaze dipping for a moment, eyes shining when she looked back up. Their officiant gave them a moment, a zephyr rippling through the light fabrics of her sleeveless jumpsuit, and then she continued.

Reynolds: Chris and Valesha have chosen to exchange rings to honour human tradition, and bracelets to honour the Romulan. Both represent completeness with neither beginning nor end, much like the love today’s ceremony recognises. ::She looked back toward the couple.:: As you wear these gifts to one another, may they remind you of the promises you made today, and all the reasons you made them.

She beckoned. Emerging from the front of the small crowd in attendance, Taeval stepped up to his sister and pressed the jewellery pieces into her hand, followed by a kiss to her cheek. She beamed back at him, barely able to contain her delight that he was there, witness to her marrying the person she loved and had chosen for a partner.

Reynolds: Valesha, please give your gifts to Chris and repeat after me: I give you these as symbols of my vows—

The Romulan echoed the Admiral’s words as she slipped the bracelet around his left wrist. Her fingers trembled slightly as she closed the clasp and completed the circle of Rihan filigree, the precious metals shining in shades of emerald and copper in the last golden rays of the day.

Sienelis: Ahr’draellra rhssiiy nnea kinaenr arhem daehp shad elet.⁵ ::She brushed her thumb across the back of his forearm, eliciting a rush of tingles across his skin, then slid the silver ring onto the ring finger of his right hand.:: This ring is a sign of my faithfulness and love.

With a slight smile, Reynolds beckoned someone from the crowd once again. Caedan moved forward, smiling and with undisguised cheer, coming to a stop beside his Russian friend. No worse the wear for their antics of yesterday, almost bursting with pride and happiness for his friends.

Reynolds: Chris, please give your gifts to Valesha and repeat after me: I give you these as symbols of my vows—

He turned to his side, to Caedan, his svideteli,⁶ bearing the offerings made to match Valesha, and with a smile and a nervous nod to the beaming Rodulan, Chris took them in his hands. Following the Admiral’s direction, he slid the shining bracelet over Valesha’s wrist and closed the clasp, his heart hammering through his collarbones. A full circle that never ends.

Johns: Ahr’draellra rhssiiy nnea kinaenr arhem daehp shad elet.⁵ ::He tried and failed to suppress a smile at the practised words, the accent still a little loose. Taking her finger in his hand, he gently slipped the ring on and took her hand again as he spoke the final vow.:: This ring is a sign of my faithfulness and love.

With rings and bracelets exchanged, the ceremony was almost complete, just as the sun had almost completed its journey across the sky. Light spilled like liquid gold across the horizon, the sea painted in indigo and amber, stars peeking out through the deepening blue above. The waifish hybrid officiating smiled at them both, exhaling a contented breath before she spoke again.

Reynolds: Valesha, Chris; you’ve come here today of your own free will, and in the presence of family and friends, you’ve declared your love and commitment to each other, and exchanged gifts as symbols of your promises. ::She smiled, clearly enjoying her role in the proceedings.:: And so, by the power vested in me as captain of the Gorkon, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may seal this declaration with a kiss.

Her face lighting up like the promised dawn of tomorrow, a blush laid claim to Valesha’s cheeks once more. She stepped closer, her hand sliding across his shoulders until her fingers came to rest on the back of his neck. Her husband met her in the middle, flattening his hand on her back as he drew her into him; a warm and yearned for embrace shared surrounded by their celebrating friends and family, and one or two whistles likely from the Marshalls.

Though they had each observed aspects of their respective cultural rites, their marriage had occurred much earlier, somewhere in the peaceful moments of star-crossed lovers, before all the accoutrements to announce it. A union written in their eyes, etched by the cosmos as if the universe had drawn together two souls destined to dance.

Chris ran his hand down Valesha's arm, weaving their fingers together as their palms touched; the feel of a ring where before there had been none. As their friends and family formed two columns with a line in between, hands loaded with flower petals, her Russian grinned at his bride and she beamed back at him in turn.

Johns: Ready to take on the rest of the universe, e’lev?⁷

Sienelis: With you, lyubimyy?⁸ Absolutely.

TBC

¹ Russian: Husband.

2 Romulan: Wife.

³ Romulan: Secret Keeper.

⁴ Russian: I offer you my hand and my heart.

⁵ Romulan: This bracelet is a sign of the oaths I make today.

⁶ Russian: Best man

⁷ Romulan: my love

⁸ Russian: my love

--

Lieutenant Valesha Sienelis

Science Officer

USS Gorkon

T238401QR0

&

PO First-Class Christopher Sienelis (née Johns)

Operations Officer

USS Gorkon

G239304JM0