Mikali sh'Shar - Mikali sh'Shar? Taking On Extra Work? Captain Vetri Might Have A Heart Attack If She Found Out...

David Adams

Oct 22, 2020, 8:09:00 AM10/22/20
to Gorkon

((Deja Brew Cafe, Iana Station))

Mikali sh'Shar had met up with her contact, Tasha MacFarlane, at a whimsically named coffee shop on Iana station as part of her preparation for working with the ReachOut program.

Tasha had, very reasonably, asked why sh'Shar was doing this. So she told her the truth as best she could. That Benna was a smart child, struggling in school, and perhaps a more stimulating environment would be better for her.

sh'Shar: That's why I'm back. Because I promised the smartest nine-year-old girl in the galaxy that she could have her tenth birthday on a starship. ::she smiled a little:: If it works out, you are more than welcome to come. There's a big piece of cake in it for you for taking the time out of your busy day to help me.

MacFarlane: ::Smiling warmly:: It would be an honour.

Mikali returned that smile with a warm one of her own, her antenna wiggling happily on top of her head.

sh’Shar: A'right then. One slice of cake for you.

Tasha slipped a PADD out of an inner pocket and passed it across the table to sh’Shar. She took it cautiously, turning it on.

MacFarlane: They gave me th’ schedule f’ yer first week. There are a couple o’ shuttles due f’ general maintenance tomorrow. They’re expectin’ yeh at oh-eight-hundred hours in maintenance three. If yeh want more work after yer first shift, I ‘ave a Barzan Feighter due in at fifteen-hundred tomorrow. They reported an issue with their long range sensors tha’ needs t’ be checked out.

Shifts on the Avandar were different, as Alpha shift started at 0600, but she could adjust to a different schedule. Mikali skimmed through the shuttles maintenance requirements, noting nothing there out of the ordinary. Standard yearly services. Checks on the hull strength and wear. Download and store the system logs. Filter changes.

The Barzan freighter, however, snagged her attention. Tasha's suggestion, complete with accent, rattled around inside her head. If yeh want more work...

If her shift was at 0800, finishing at 1600, and the Freighter came in at 1500... a long-range sensor overhaul would take another five hours, at least, depending on the issue. If she worked a double shift, she could put in the extra time, be in bed before 2400 hours and snag at least seven hours of sleep. She would even have time to have a shower, have a meal, and do some preparation for the next day.

Achievable.

sh’Shar: ::firmly:: I'll do it. And I'll check back in with you when it's done.

MacFarlane: But tha’ is tomorrow, today is f’ meetin’ people an’ settlin’ in. ‘ave yeh found yer bearin’s on th’ station yet? I’d be ‘appy t’ give yeh a tour.

sh’Shar: That would actually be good, thank you. I've studied the station layout but I... would appreciate that, if you have the time.

She finished up her water, waiting politely until Tasha was ready, then followed her out for a tour of the station.

Mikali asked questions where appropriate, trying to match the schematics and guide information she had been provided with the visual map of the station. She took note of her quarters -- a shared domicile with other participants -- and several local cafes and eateries, in case she wanted to splurge and have dinner out of her quarters. There were holodecks, there were storage units for parts, industrial replicators, and of course, the shuttlebays where most of her work would be performed.

With everything out of the way, she had time to go have a quick sonic shower, get dressed into her work uniform, chow down some toast and ice water, and make sure she was presentable and early for her first shift.

Today was the start of a long, long year.

fin

--

Civilian

ReachOut Project