Ensign Doz Finch - A Wing and a Prayer

Message has been deleted

Doz Finch

Dec 16, 2022, 10:40:34 PM12/16/22
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com, Doz Finch
((The Brew Continuum, Deck 9, USS Gorkon))

Ensign T’Lar had just left the Brew Continuum, leaving Bendyn and Finch behind just as soon as she had arrived. Not that this surprised Finch in the slightest - Vulcan’s notoriously loathed small-talk. So once the woman had pillaged the fruit bowl buoyantly supplied to her by the Bolian barista, she was off faster than you could say microelectromechanical.

As Finch fiddled with and dissected the thermistor she had been focused on for the last half hour, that was a word that echoed gently in the crevices and crannies of her mind.

((FLASHBACK))

((Main Engineering, USS Bonestell))

Finch: Murphy! ::she shouted:: Heads up!

Finch threw her spanner from the upper balcony of Main Engineering, and Murphy caught it with one hand, throwing himself backwards against a console, gasping for air and feigning a slow and terrible death.

Murphy: Doz! my… my chest! You got me in my chest! how could you…I can see the end… I can see… I can see the light!

Finch: ::she rolled her eyes and laughed:: Give over, will you, the thing's as light as air!

Murphy, pulling himself up with a mischievous smirk of his own, sauntered over to a sparking panel that another human crewman was up against, enacting repairs. He propped a rough hand onto their colleague's shoulder, giving him the tool.

His hands had the texture of sandpaper, Finch felt. The likes of which you found at the bottom of a bird's cage, amidst the fallen feathers and white sludge. The thought of which made her fondly laugh. Whether a cage containing the gentlest, most nervous of birds, or one that housed a monstrosity with claws from Earth to Mars, you could guarantee that Murphy would somehow find a way to befriend it. Everyone seemed to love him.

Yet he seemed to love Finch.

Finch: Just let me know if you need my help, boys. I know you both only got through the Tech Academy on a wing and a prayer! ::her tongue rested on her bottom lip, satisfied::

Murphy: Give us a chance, Doz! ::he said, in mock offence::It is microelectromechanical after all.

Finch: Micro what!?

Murphy: Needs a soft touch!

Finch: A soft touch!? Leave it to the professionals then, eh, Murph!

Finch, Murphy and their colleague ruptured into laughter, and other engineers - crewman and officers alike - looked on, shaking their heads amusedly in the convivial atmosphere.

((END FLASHBACK))

Bendyn: I have made so many friends here over the years. It would be difficult to say goodbye to all of them. And it would mean having to start all over again, barely knowing anyone. Do you remember what it was like? Coming out of the academy, leaving all your friends, to join a ship where everyone knows everyone and you are the new person?

Finch: ::she went to sip her tea, but only a shallow beige puddle remained:: I do remember it, actually. We’re talking forty odd years ago though now. I remember thinking, god, what am I doing here, what have I got myself into. But really, I was one of the lucky ones. A lot of the crewmen I trained with joined me on the Bonestell.

Finch had put the thermistor down on the table, and adjusted her posture to properly listen to Bendyn, eyes narrowed in concentration. Here Bendyn was, as a young Lieutenant Junior Grade, entrenched in worry about something that could happen, not something that necessarily would happen.

She wanted to snap the girl out of it. Nothing good ever came from what ifs. If she carried on like that, she’d become steeped in it. And if left unchecked, worry was thicker than tar. Finch was something of an expert in keeping busy, staying distracted. It was her invisible armour: the work.

Finch looked down at the circuit again, and then glanced over at a replicator. Finally, her beady brown eyes refixed themselves onto Bendyn, with a quick nod.

Bendyn: And having to say goodbye from Ko. Have you met Ko yet? He is so adorable. I think I would miss him the most. Sami would never allow me to take him with me. ::She took another sip of the tea.:: Or perhaps, if I could persuade her. ::She brightened up suddenly.:: It would mean I could put him in a uniform, he looks so handsome in them.

Finch’s caterpillar eyebrows kissed each other, befuddled.

Finch: I can’t say that I have, what does he look like?

Bendyn: I have a few pictures of him on the PADD. ::She reached for the device, and scrolled through the different files.:: I am the one who takes care of him when Sami is away from the ship. And he is less scary than that huge animal that came with our Chief of Science. Have you seen that dog yet? It takes up the whole corridor and loves to scare people.

Her eyebrows pushed closer together in animated shock.

Finch: A Koala! ::she squinted, looking between Bendyn and the pictures:: Here! On the Gorkon!

Bendyn: Response

Finch: God he’s beautiful, isn’t he? You’re telling me he’s Commander Neathlers?

Bendyn: Response

Finch: When you think you’ve seen everything! ::she pulled a face, looking over at another table of coffee drinkers::

Bendyn: Response

Finch: I thought I might have seen something dog-like in one of the Jefferies tubes in Main Engineering. But I did get shocked from scalp to toe while crawling through it, so it’s possible I hallucinated a bit.

Not to mention the comical expression she could have sworn T’Lar had on her face, only twenty minutes prior. She went to sip her tea, forgetting for the second time that her cup was empty. Very few things saddened Doz, but an empty cup stirred up certain emotions.

Bendyn: Response

Finch: Well, look. I doubt you’re going anywhere. And if it ever came to it, then just ask to stay! put your foot down. I think they would try to accommodate you. Starfleet’s a bit of a machine sometimes, but if you know how to work it. ::she winked::

Bendyn: Response

Finch: I know what’ll take your mind off it, Lieutenant. Come to Main Engineering; there’s a replicator I want to pull apart. You can tell me all about Ko on the way.

Bendyn: Response

--

Ensign Doz Finch

Engineering Officer