Lieutenant Piravao sh'Qynallahr - The Colours of the Festival

thoyte99

Jun 26, 2022, 8:13:45 PMJun 26
to USS Gorkon – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG
((Festival Grounds, Yarista, Palanon))

Her antennae flicked around to focus on Caedan. She had felt that she was the one who owed him an apology, not the other way around.

Nkai: I—

She remained quiet, just listening, as Caedan took a moment to formulate his thoughts.

Nkai: You were only trying to help. ::He scratched his beard, and a wash of embarrassment coloured his cheeks, apology reflected in shining dark eyes.:: I’m sorry for what I said. You didn’t deserve it.

sh’Qynallahr: It was not your fault, I know I am not the most sensitive person.

Nkai: We’ve been through some things, but... ::He shook his head, heaving out another sigh.:: There’s not many things that sting more than your own worst memories.

sh’Qynallahr: And to share them with someone is not easy, especially an uninvited guest.

There was an awkward silence as Nkai slowly nodded, digesting her words. After a few moments had passed, the Andorian slowly forged on.

sh’Qynallahr: I owe you an apology too. ::Her antennae flicked down for a moment:: I was not the most understanding of your loss. Solan was…you and he seemed very close. I was not very considerate of your feelings at the time.

Nkai: You weren’t to know. ::He smiled again. The expression lacked his usual full-beam cheer, but it was genuine nonetheless.:: But thank you.

Piravao inclined her head politely, antennae bowing as she did so, as a gentle silence bloomed in their conversation. Both had offered and accepted apologies from the other. The Andorian was no telepath, and often struggled to read the expressions and body language of other species, with his gaze now fixed on the red ribbon in his hands, Piravao was not sure where his thoughts had travelled.

Nkai: Have you ever been to the festival of lights before?

sh’Qynallahr: I cannot say that I have.

Nkai: I went to one a few years ago, here on Palanon. ::His usual smile crept back onto his lips.:: Though I mostly remember the part with the drinking and everyone hurling balls of coloured powder at each other. This part is new.

sh’Qynallahr: That sounds…enjoyably messy.

Nkai: Response

sh’Qynallahr: I overheard one of the vendors mention that some lanterns were going to be released from this field. I was curious to see them.

Nkai: Response

Piravao’s eyes wandered over the field. It was a beautiful sight, full of vibrant colours and joyous people. Moving through the crowd were people carrying the lanterns she had been eager to see, and almost everywhere she looked, there were people carrying red ribbons, not unlike the one Nkai held. Her antennae flicked toward the Rodulan.

sh’Qynallahr: You are not the only person with one of those ribbons. I assume they have some significance to this festival?

Nkai: Response

-----
Lieutenant Piravao sh’Qynallahr
Security Officer