Ensign Saralai - New Friends! ((Corrected))

Aradia Megido

Jan 26, 2022, 1:04:05 AM1/26/22
to Gorkon
(( Main Sickbay - Deck 7 ))

Walking through the main doors of Sickbay with a whisk of the sliding doors opening, Saralai looked around in awe at the beautiful layout. It was clean and smelled less like heavy-duty antiseptic and more like a pleasant clean. She'd been on a cadet cruise and even the holodeck simulations were fantastically real, but there was just a certain authenticity that resounded here as they passed by various nurses and other medical staff scurrying about. She was already quite smitten as she trailed an errant hand along one of the banisters nearby the biobeds.

Neathler: This is the Primary Sickbay, the Secondary Sickbay is on Deck 18. You’ll be working closely with Doctor Loxley, a Vulcan/Human hybrid. Lieutenant Tali Namura is the Acting Chief Medical Officer and runs the place. ::Samira frowned for a moment. Personally, she hadn’t encountered Tali that much but somehow she felt as if she should warn the Ensign.:: She can be somewhat eccentric at times, but don’t let that scare you. ::She looked around, the distinctive sounds of Sickbay ever present, before her gaze settled on Saralai again.:: What made you decide to take up a medical career?

Saralai: I have met so many people since leaving Rubicun III, I do not think there is anyone yet I have been nervous of. ::Not even Klingons:: The Edo people in comparison are just as variable and ‘eccentric’ as other species, I have little doubt I will make a positive acquaintance!

Neathler: That’s the spirit.

Saralai: Oh, as far as medical.. ::She gave a quick pause.:: I wish I had a better response than it just ‘seemed natural’. I have always been told I have a sunny disposition and a good bedside manner. My people do not have very much disease or sickness, so jobs of a medical nature are quite low in demand. Starfleet however held a lot of sway on me for getting to see and explore new planets and places, learning a trade and applying it towards a lifelong career. We Edo are a very homogenous race, you see, we all look rather alike with no real diversity among us. So atop everything else, working with different races, ethnicities, and species, it sounded like an amazing chance to learn and explore!

Saralai realized she had been talking an awful lot about herself, her smile turning wry and her cheeks pink. She turned to Neathler and nodded her head towards the other woman politely.

Saralai: How about you Commander? Why did you choose Starfleet to spend your life? Why Tac-Sec?

Neathler: Oh, ::She hadn’t really expected the question.:: Following my parents’ footsteps, actually. My father tried to push me into a medical career. But seeing I… ::She shrugged.:: My father would say I partied too much in my first year of the Academy. So in order to succeed, and to not be expelled from the Academy for my bad results, I took the easy way out and went for the Security/Tactical direction, following my mother’s footsteps.

Saralai nodded, pleased that the Commander was so open about her past. She would always observe the deepest respect for her commanding officers, but there was a little glimmer of appreciation in her eyes as Neathler got a little more personal than need-to-know information. It made the higher staff seem much more approachable when they gave snippets like this for sure.

Neathler: Do you have any family in the Fleet?

Saralai: Oh, no Ma'am. Both of my parents and all thirteen of my siblings reside and work on Rubicun III. My mother actually wanted me to join her business, she is a much-famed masseuse that rivals Risa's. It is how she met my father, actually! But Starfleet suited me better, much to her disappointment. Last I have heard, my sister just younger than me, Sanana, has joined her and is taking to her teaching very well! I am so happy for them~ ::She gleaned with a smile, obviously quite proud of her family and their work:: Though it is a shame, I think my elder brothers might have joined up if they knew so many beautiful women were here! ::She mentioned off-handedly, giving Neathler a quick glance, indicating what she thought of the Commander.::

Neathler: And there’s my two brothers too, Brent and Marlon. Both serving in the fleet. We even had to rescue Marlon from an undercover operation a while back.

Saralai: I did not know you had elder brothers as well! Do you come from a large family too or is it just you and your two brothers?

Saralai didn't know many other officers that went through the same trials and tribulations as she had, growing up in a household of sixteen, so every opportunity she came across, she had been sure to ask others about their own siblings. Though, more often than not it was single-child-syndrome, or perhaps one or two. Though the conversation was quickly switched as a dark-haired woman walked out of an office and near directly for them. Saralai straightened up a bit, giddiness ebbing off of her as they walked closer.

Neathler: Ensign Saralai, this is Lieutenant Tali Namura. Acting Chief of Sickbay since our previous CMO decided to swap the Gorkon for another ship.

Namura: No doubt you've seen how fruitful that's been for him.

Saralai did not know the details behind the previous CMO nor why it had been 'fruitful' for him, but even she could detect the sarcasm. So instead of commenting on that, she continued to hold onto her pleasant smile, waiting to be introduced to her new boss.

Neathler: Lieutenant, this is Ensign Saralai, the latest addition to your department.
Saralai watched with some surprise as the CMO's dark eyebrow arched in wordless greeting for the first few moments, her gaze shifting her form up and down as if she were looking for something in particular- but it was of no concern to Saralai, she was quite used to being looked over. Though she had come to realize over time and experience from the Academy that it was not always for appreciation of her figure- sometimes the 'elevator eyes' were a means of intimidating or of being 'unimpressed.' Thankfully she did not get the feeling from the CMO as she jovially reached out her hand to shake her own.

Namura: Doctor Namura, how do you do. Welcome to the Gorkon. It has its moments. Don't let me intrude on your conversation.

Neathler: We were just talking about family.

Namura: Wouldn't be here without them, yet can't legally shoot them either?
Saralai: Hello Doctor Namura! ::She zipped over to the other woman quickly, enveloping her single hand within both of her own, one on each side. She did not shake it, however, simply holding it.:: Thank you for the welcome, I am so pleased to be assigned to you!

Neathler: Well, some would call the folks on the Gorkon family too.

Namura: Dysfunctional and meal-sharing?

Saralai had no commentary for this either, simply smiling, furrowing her brows, and giving a quick quirk of her head to the side, not unlike a dog might, as she did not quite understand what the CMO had meant. Did she mean to say that the crew was dysfunctional for sharing meals?
Neathler: Response

Namura: How do you pronounce your name? Sara-lai? Sara-lay? Thankfully the subject was dutifully changed by the CMO's question, Saralai happily offering an in-depth explanation.

Saralai: It is 'Sahr-rah-lai!' ::She exclaimed happily, still holding Namura hostage with both of her hands as they spoke:: In Edo, it translates to a type of very small, sweet cake called a 'Saralakke'. ::She explained..still not releasing Namura.:: But if it is quicker, I have been called 'Sara' in the past. ::It was only then that Namura slipped her hand away and tucked them into her pockets. Saralai in turn, still smiling, placed her hands back in front of her clasped gently together.::
Neathler: Response

At the noise of the consoles, the soft chiming and beeping took her attention completely and totally away from the conversation at hand as Saralai watched intently as the CMO quickly and efficiently silenced the alarms with a few rapid taps on the LCARS glass-covered screen. She was impressed, she definitely wanted to be that quick someday..but as it stood, she still had a bit of a habit of 'chciken-pecking' control buttons as the Humans would say.

Namura: You're continuing your training to develop into full medicine, I assume? Aboard the Gorkon?

Saralai: Yes ma'am! I am currently a combat medic as my specialization involves field medicine and almost any physical trauma response. It is a niche specialization that is how the Academy instructor explained- 'more than a nurse, less than a doctor.' ::She explained, quite proud of it if her quick bloom of her proverbial feathers was anything to go off of.:: It is a very new program that was hybridized with security and tactical, as I would ideally deploy with them.
Neathler: Response Namura: Response
Saralai: Yes Ma'am! However I will and am very able to attend to anything within sickbay despite the training with Tac-Sec! I am capable and well versed in all nursing duties! ::She brightened, feeling the rush of delight at just being on a vessel- she didn't need to deploy to feel well-founded- she was just as at home in sickbay as anywhere else.:: Neathler: Response Namura: Response:

---
Ensign Saralai
Medical Ensign
USS Gorkon