[JP] V. Adml. Reynolds & Lt. Cmdr. Neathler - We'll Take a Right Good-Will Draught (Part I)

Quinn Reynolds

Jan 21, 2023, 2:41:11 PM1/21/23
to Gorkon (IC)

((Cyrithra Forest, Palanon))

The campfire blazed, the drinks flowed, and merrymaking filled the glade. Acquaintances progressed on their journeys toward friendship, friends celebrated with their found families, and partners whispered sweet things to one another. Love and laughter fragranced the air, and Quinn leaned into her husband’s arms, watching it all with a smile. Once upon a time, she’d scoffed at the idea of a crew feeling like a family; now, she could hardly imagine anything else.

Brunsig: It’s time.

His low voice rumbled in her ear, warm breath raising goosebumps across her neck. As reluctant as she was to move from her seat, cosy and content in his embrace. But needs must, and after pressing a quick kiss to his cheek, she disentangled herself and moved toward the pair of tree stumps Nkai had placed for the occasion. En route, she caught Neathler’s eye and beckoned her over, and together they stepped up. There, they were taller than the crew—with the notable exception of one particularly lofty Andorian—and their sudden appearance brought quiet to the camp.

Reynolds: Midnight approaches, so if I can steal your attention for a short while before we ring in the new year.

Neathler: Don’t worry, there will still be plenty of drinks after we’re done.

Reynolds: Those of you who’ve been with the Gorkon for a while know I like to start my presentations with one of the hardest ribbons to receive. It represents personal sacrifice, the strength of character to endure injury in the line of duty and in service to others. And so I’m honoured to present the Purple Heart to Commander Marshall, Lieutenant Commander Sevo, Lieutenants Tahna and Gnaxac, Ensign Tagren-Quinn, and Petty Officer Third Class Peek. ::She paused, exhaled a sigh, and added somewhat reluctantly.:: And... myself.

With a quick shake of her head, she brought her hands together in the first round of applause that evening, extending them toward the other recipients of the award. She always felt foolish when she won an award alongside her crew and did her best to minimise the attention on herself. Her new aide threaded her way through the crowd, a slim young woman of Vulcan and Bajoran heritage, passing the dark navy presentation boxes into the hands of their recipients.

While applauding, the irony wasn’t lost on Samira. She never had been a fan of award ceremonies. Her own awards were stashed in some box in her quarters on a top shelf somewhere. She was only doing her job, after all. And now, here she was, handing out the ribbons herself. Still, she knew it meant something to the crew. A token of appreciation that their actions did not go unnoticed.

Neathler: Back on Ereina, the intervention of Petty Officer third Class Kylr Addison not only saved the life of Commander Marshall but also Petty Officer Peek and his well-known coiffure. While on the Rogue Planet the actions of Lieutenants Commander Alieth, Orson Marshall, Lieutenant Josett and Ensign Finch saved the lives of the Dominion War veterans and their children. So it is with great pride I present them with the Silver Lifesaving Ribbon.

Samira clapped her hands together, her gloves hidden in her back pocket, joining the applause and cheering, while each of the aforementioned persons received their award. Quinn offered each a nod and a smile as they took possession of their ribbons, and once all were handed out, she continued on.

Reynolds: The disaster unfolded even as far away as Ereina, and we answered the call. Some of you risked your lives to save fellow officers who fell victim to the dangers there, braving the threat of debris, drowning, and electrocution to lend your aid. It’s with great pride that I award the Gold Lifesaving Ribbon to Commander Marshall, Lieutenant Commander Nkai, Lieutenant Junior Grade Bendyn, and Cadet Ico.

Few awards brought greater celebration than this one; a reminder that they could all count on one another to pull them out of the fire. The gathered officers cheered and clapped, congratulating their friends when they took receipt of their new ribbons from the Admiral’s aide. Quinn was proud of them all, and while she knew some felt they didn’t need the commendations, she hoped it was a reminder they could be proud of themselves, too.

Neathler: In order to return to their own time zone, it took quite some ingenuity and quick thinking from Vice Admiral Reynolds, Lieutenant Commander Ayiana Sevo and Lieutenants Tahna Meru and Gnaxac. While back on the Rogue Planet, Lieutenant Stoyer, Lieutenant Junior Grade Loxley, Ensign zh’Tisav and myself, had to delve into the mysteries of a foreign machine in order to fix it and help the inhabitants of the planet. For those accomplishments, it is my honour to present to them the Innovation Ribbon.

Together with the rest of the crew, the two command officers applauded. Sami knew full well that without the help from the others, she probably would still be stuck on that planet; Quinn that she would still be trapped in one of the worst experiences of her life. Perhaps it was that gratitude which let the applause continue, or perhaps it was simply an appreciation for solving problems through wit, rather than brawn.

Reynolds: As difficult as this experience was, it was also a mission of discovery. We stepped foot on a world unknown to the greater galaxy, and came away with a greater understanding of it and its people. Therefore, I’m pleased to award the Explorer’s Ribbon to Lieutenant Commanders Neathler, Alieth, and Marshall; Lieutenants Stoyer and Josett; Lieutenant Junior Grade Loxley, and Ensigns zh’Tisav and Tagren-Quinn.

The campsite rang out with another round of applause, an appreciation for those who performed one of Starfleet’s fundamental duties, even amid a crisis. Even the big campfire in the middle chipped in as one of the bigger blocks collapsed, sending sparks of fire high up in the sky.

Neathler: Despite being tossed into several time zones, Lieutenant Commander Stoyer, Lieutenant Junior Grade Loxley, Ensign zh’Tisav and myself were able to safeguard the current timeline for the indigenous people on the Rogue Planet. In that regard, it is my pleasure to award them with the Defence of Temporal Flow Ribbon.

As Samira joined the applause, her thoughts wandered towards Janoch and Kjara. So many questions remained unanswered about what species they were and where the planet itself was now. Still, she could only hope they were doing well. The cheering and applause brought her back to the present, and once they faded, the Admiral continued with the next award.

TBC

--

Vice Admiral Quinn Reynolds

Commanding Officer