JP: Lt. JG Loxley & Lt. Alieth - Tal t'li (Part II) (BACKSIM)

jabbathehutts_lovechild

Jan 27, 2022, 6:27:21 PM1/27/22
to USS Gorkon – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG
(( Sagano Bamboo Forest, Kyoto, Japan ))

Alieth:  We have arrived.

The path opened out into a broader clearing among the bamboo. Several small paths weaved between areas of sand, the fine particles raked into delicate patterns, all of them forming circles around the tree in the centre, the pale pink cherry blossom a vivid contrast to the spring green they had been surrounded by up until now.

The petite woman advanced towards the tree, taking care to choose a path that would not disturb the delicate shapes in the sand. Tiny feet leapt between the small rocks strategically scattered across the sand garden, long and short steps building a rhythm, a poem in motion, till she reached the grass and roots platform on which the tree stood. No sooner had she arrived beneath its canopy when a gust of wind rustled the blossoms, pink petals creating a velvety curtain as the bamboos droned their timeless melodies.

Alieth took a moment to inhale, before she brushed the pink petals from a black, concave stone in front of the tree and then let herself drop onto it, assuming the posture of loshiraq2, the pel-pen1  stretching around her like a halo, before she laid her hands upon her knees.

In the meantime, Loxley followed  the Vulcan woman’s path, and they sat side by side in silence for a time. It wasn’t an uncomfortable silence, Lox noted. It felt quite natural. He wasn’t sure if it was the place, his companion, or the result of some sort of Vulcan gene buried in his genetic make-up. The hybrid removed his cap and placed it in his lap, letting the slight breeze ruffle his unkempt hair.

Alieth: You said that Vorin held some meditation sessions with you, but have you ever been “guided”?

The way the petite Vulcan stressed and spoke as she flexed her fingers on her knee said more than her words.

Loxley: Guided? ::Lox frowned:: I’m not sure if I know what you mean. My father did teach me when I was young, all the ‘proper’ basics any Vulcan would learn as I understand it, up until I was about 6 years old. And then nothing until Vorin recently. Those are the only guides I've had.

The woman's dark eyes narrowed somewhat.

Alieth: I see, then I will take that as a no.
She took a second to fold her hands in her lap and straighten her back, assuming an almost statuesque stance, much like some statues of an ancient ascetic that they had spotted on their ascent. Only then did she proceed with her inquiry.

Alieth: Is there anything in particular you want to learn or achieve today?

Loxley gave a sigh and leant back against the tree, feeling the rough bark digging into his back, slightly above the wound that had very nearly killed him. Even the dermal regenerator hadn’t been able to completely eradicate the scar caused by the serrated blade. He tilted his head back and looked up through the pink branches to the blue sky beyond as he answered Alieth’s question.

Loxley: Yes, two things, in fact. And I recognise both will take time.

Alieth gave a terse nod, but didn't say a word, while Lox ran a hand absently through his hair as he gathered his thoughts, vaguely aware that he’d have to ask Corliss to cut it again soon before it got too long.

Loxley: I want to be able to cope with some of the things we see and experience. ::he gave a little shrug:: Injuries and wounds in other people have never phased me, of course. I’m confident in fixing up others, caring for the sick, all of that. But it seems lately that my own mortality, my own injuries, have been… concerning me. I’d like to get control over those thoughts, I don’t want to be a liability to the crew.

Lox gave a short laugh as a thought occurred to him.

Loxley: I realised it sounds like I want to feel immortal! No fear, no worries and all that.

Alieth:  The awareness of one's own mortality, and survival drive, is part of the most primal instinct of any living creature. Striving not to be controlled by it is a difficult endeavour, but one that will bring peace to your katra.

The words rang out beneath the cherry tree branches without tone, flat and detached, and yet there was a touch of gentleness in them in some way, a hint of sympathy in those dark eyes. When she resumed her speech, her voice came more slowly, almost cautiously.

Alieth: However, you must understand no matter how much I teach you, that fear, that impulse will always be there, unless you completely purge all emotion from you.

Loxley: I don’t want to be fearless, I just… don’t want it to have quite so much control over me, you know?

Alieth: I understand, and we can work on it. ::Tilting the head over the left shoulder:: What is the other issue you wanted to deal with?

Loxley: Ah yes, the second thing. ::Lox chewed his lip for a moment:: When Corliss and I first kissed, something happened, a flash of emotions. It was pretty overwhelming. I thought maybe it was more her than me being a Betazoid and everything, and I remember clearly doctors telling me in the past that I had no chance of developing any form of telepathy. But it happened again last mission, with Jo when she was, well, saving my life.
The petite woman wrinkled her nose gently, but did not voice her thoughts.

Alieth: These flashes, this... empathetic reaction... do you associate it with anything in particular, other than your bondmate?

Loxley: It only seems to happen when things get… emotional. But I want to know what it is.

She nodded solemnly and held out her hands in front of her, palms up.

Alieth: Place your hands over mine

Loxley: Alright… ::he did so, only a little hesitantly::

Alieth: I need you close your eyes and focus on your breathing, and in nothing else.

Loxley nodded and took a deep breath in as he closed his eyes. In through the nose, out through the mouth. Sylvik had taught him that much.

Alieth in turn closed her eyes. Her breathing became slower, almost imperceptible, barely distinguishable from the rock on which she sat, raven hair ruffled by the gentle breeze. Then, she let down the first barrier that isolated her mind. Immediately, her fingertips seemed to tingle, one mind acknowledging another. She let her mind brush the hybrid's, not prying, just surveying, scanning.

Alieth: Hum

Loxley: I can feel… I don’t know, something? Is that good?

Alieth: Good is an overly subjective non-specific concept :: She tilted her head but gave no comment on the hybrid's reveal:: Can you describe what you have felt?

Loxley: It’s the sensation you get when you feel like someone is watching you.

The petite Vulcan bobbed her head up and down, a movement that was heralded by the rustling of the crisp, starched fabric of the collar of her attire.

Alieth:  That is exactly what I am currently doing.

It was something superficial, like when she tickled Cheesecake's mind to instruct her, or when she had soothed her baby brother when he woke up fuzzy from the cot. It was barely a touch on the surface of the red-haired man's mind. Something was strange there ..... Distinct from what she had encountered in a Vulcan, radically different from the human minds she had touched. Somewhat new, and still maturing.

Alieth: It seems that your doctors were wrong, you have a latent telepathy, perhaps because it has developed late, maybe because of your interaction with Miss Fortune. It is still difficult to say how much it will evolve yet, but it is definitely there.

Loxley: Well that…. ::he hesitated, not sure how to react at this potentially life-changing revelation:: …that’s a thing.

The Vulcan pulled her hand away from Loxley's, stretched out her fingers and, then, tapped her knee with them for a short moment before folding her hands placidly in her lap, just as they had been before, almost as if absolutely nothing had happened.

Alieth:  These sensations you describe, these overwhelming experiences... how common do they occur?

Loxley: It’s only happened a few times, all of them with Corliss apart from that last time with Jo. It is… disconcerting when it happens. Distracting. I’m worried it might happen when I’m in the middle of a surgery or something.

Alieth: It would certainly be an undesirable situation.

Finally, Alieth opened her eyes and fixed those rich brown orbs on the red-haired man, then she let her eyelids narrow slightly in the faintest suggestion of an expression. One that verged, almost, almost, on sympathy.

Alieth:  However,  I can teach you how to control it. It will not free you from it, but it will allow you to remove it from your thoughts and allow you to concentrate on other tasks.

Loxley: Some control would be appreciated.

The woman nodded again, tucked a strand of dark hair behind her pointed ear, and readjusted her posture.

Alieth: Very well, I need you to think of a familiar place, a quiet, stimulus-free place that brings you serenity.

Lox took a deep breath and considered for a moment. Thankfully, a place game to mind at once.

Loxley: The Brecon Beacons. ::he gave a short nod:: In Wales. On a grey, misty day in Autumn.

Alieth: That could work, now….

A new gust of wind rustled the cherry tree branches and a thousand pale petals fluttered in the air, dancing among the Vulcan's words on their way towards the towering bamboo grove and beyond, towards the mountains crowned with snow and birdsong as the afternoon waned and the sunset cast everything in pink and orange...

FIN

OOC:

1 Pel-pen → Vulcan outfit, Medium-length robe, wrapped left to right and fastened on the right side with several buttons. Typically, knee-length with wide half- or ¾-sleeves and belted about the waist with a sash or belt. Can be worn with trousers or not.

2Loshiraq → Meditation cross-legged sitting position, equivalent to the Zen-Lotus position

*  Tal t'li → first meditation of adult training

=================================
Lt (jg) Loxley
Medical
USS Gorkon
R238401JT0

&

Lt. Alieth
Chief Science Officer
randgri...@gmail.com
USS Gorkon NCC-82293
E239702A10
Image Collective Facilitator /Art Director