Mikali sh'Shar - For The First Time In A Long Time

David Adams

Nov 25, 2020, 8:32:18 AM11/25/20
to Gorkon
(( OOC: Song for this sim: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCUcT1mPh1s ))

(( Red Carrier Employee Domicile 14))

Mikali sh'Shar, torn between delusions of the past and the present, struggled to be understood, struggled to identify where and when she was and struggled to walk.

Her eye burned, her body ached, and her head felt like it was stuffed full of burning steel wool. Sparks and heat and glowing red wire, searing her skull and antenna as though they were trying to burn their way out. But Tasha was here, and Tasha had convinced her (via the use of loud shouting) that she was really sick and that she needed help.

So she'd tried to put one foot in front of the other, and only succeeded in faceplanting into the deck.

sh'Shar: Ow.

Somehow, Tasha appeared near her. The voices around her, the echoes of a past time, faded out, becoming distant murmurs, barely coherent; they seemed to blur together, dancing and blending further... faces melded together, becoming joined people or unfamiliar entities. The fake world began to become surreal, nonsensical, as her brain overheated and cooked itself, riddled with infection and rot.

The real world, however, stayed tangible. It was physical. Real. She held onto it as best she can.

MacFarlane: I’ve got yeh, take it easy.

An arm slipped around her, and groaning softly, she used the grip to pull herself up to her feet, slumped against her friend like a sack of potatoes.

sh’Shar: My uh... I think my balance is a bit off. I dunno what's happening.

MacFarlane: Slow steps sweetie, we’ll take yeh where yeh need t’ go. ::Gesturing to one of the security officers:: Hey, take ‘er other side.

One of the security officers hurried forward. Another arm came around her, helping her remain upright. Mostly. Ish.

sh’Shar: Thank you.

Tasha squirmed around, somehow managing to tap her combadge and open up a communications channel to the station's transporter systems.

MacFarlane: =/\= MacFarlane t’ Transporter room, Beam us straight t’ sickbay. =/\=

Words were difficult to come, like forcing cold honey out of a squeeze bottle. It took a lot of effort and they were slow.

sh’Shar: You know, nobody's ever really helped me like this before. Ever.

It was true. She could not remember anyone actually picking her off the floor — literally or metaphorically — who wasn't about to arrest her, berate her, or make her a prisoner of their invading force. Nobody had actually, in their downtime, dedicated their precious personal time to doing nothing more than being kind and helpful to her.

S'Acul had cared for her a great deal and the reverse was true too. Alleran had been her genuine friend. But Tasha had given her something else.

Self-worth.

This was what it felt like to be valued. To have someone actually care if you lived or died, someone who wasn't just using her for various things — conversation, piloting skills, sex — and in some ways, making their entire relationship transactional. She gave, and was given in return. But not this.

Tasha was not just saving her, but actually treating her like someone worth saving.

Mikali managed a stressed, pained smile, her lips pale and ghoulish, but couldn't think of anything profound to say. Then she felt the familiar tingle of a transporter effect breaking apart her body and transmitting it the short distance to sickbay in a shower of luminous cerulean sparks.

She slumped slightly, and as the physical reality faded away so did everything else; the pain flared, her nerves tingled, and sh'Shar mercifully passed out, the pain and confusing delusions fading away for good, and for the first time in a little while she was actually able to rest.

For the first time in a long while, she was content, and although some dim part of her knew there was a long recovery ahead of her for this mistake... if she didn't make it through the inevitable surgeries and treatments and hard work it didn't matter, because at that specific moment she felt valued, felt worthwhile, and felt happy.

And that was something.

fin

--

Civilian