Mikali sh'Shar & Ens. Serren Tan - Andorian Blues: The Eye of the Storm, Part II

David Adams

Nov 30, 2020, 8:42:37 AM11/30/20
to Gorkon
(( Recovery Room, Sickbay, Iana Station, day unknown ))

Lying in sickbay, Mikali sh'Shar was expecting to get herself into trouble, as usual. But One-Joke and Serren didn't seem like they were out to punish her.

Why she thought she was being punished was a good question, and one Mikali sh'Shar couldn't immediately, satisfactorily, answer.

Her mouth was dry, lips cracked. She licked them to try and strengthen her voice.

sh'Shar: Because I blew it.

One-Joke pulled a weird, confused face, looking at Serren for a moment.

One-Joke: Did you blow it?

A big silence fell over everything. Her words turned ashen and bitter, like swallowing burned poison ivy.

sh'Shar: I mean, I assume I'm out of the program.

One-Joke merely raised an eyebrow.

One-Joke: Why would you assume that?

sh'Shar: Because I screwed up. I got sick and I didn't get treatment. And that... caused a big drama.

One-Joke: So what?

Was he messing with her? Mikali squinted.

sh'Shar: So I thought I was past screwing up. But I still am. And when I screw up I get punished. That's just how it is. That's how a just galaxy works, right?

One-Joke shook his head firmly. Definitively.

One-Joke: Mikali, I keep saying, this program is not a punishment. It's designed to help you build good habits and demonstrate that you can work without supervision. Technically, your work is fine, this a personal medical issue. You're not going to be punished for this. It's a step back, yes, and there are processes for that, but you're not out of the program unless you want to be. And I hope, very much, that you don't make that decision.

Mikali said nothing for a moment, unable to look at her boss.

sh'Shar: Why do you believe in me so much, when all I do is fail? What are you, some kind of closeted Romulan Qowat Milat, binding yourself to lost causes? I bet you have a big, sharp sword in your quarters.

One-Joke: I believe in you because I do. You're not a lost cause. And I don't own a sword.

She rolled her eye.

sh'Shar: That's not really an answer.

One-Joke: Okay. I believe in you because I believe you have the best chance to make something of yourself, to graduate, and to make something of yourself afterwards. I feel as though it is you who has the potential to be a decent person and to live the life you deserve to lead.

One-Joke took a long, slow breath, then let it out slowly.

One-Joke: You still have a long way to go. And that's okay! Nobody enters these kinds of programs being a good person right from the beginning. So it's okay if you're not perfect.

She winced slightly, her brain still a bit foggy.

sh'Shar: What does that mean?

Tan: It means, Mikali, that we need you to rest for now, and for the next few days or however long it takes; when you're done, you and your supervisors can discuss how we can best help you now.

sh'Shar: Okay. ::She pinched her sheets, fiddling with them awkwardly.:: But I have to get back to work as soon as possible.

As though anticipating this response, Serren held up a hand as though making a promise.

Tan: Soon as you're ready, we'll get you back out there. For now, though, you're on medical leave. That's not counted as an absence.

One-Joke: It's definitely not.

That was a good thing. But it didn't look good either way, taking too much medical leave so early in the program. Mikali knew that.

sh'Shar: I still want to.

One-Joke: I know, but you'll get your opportunity, I promise.

Tan: Look on the bright side. ::He grinned cheesily:: We now have definitive, scientifically verifiable proof that Mikali sh'Shar has a brain. Trust me. I've seen the scan.

Serren held up a fist to One-Joke for bumping. He didn't take it, so sh'Shar reached out with her own hand and nudged against his fist.

sh'Shar: Hah.

The three had a brief, shared chuckle.

sh'Shar: So, uhh... how long was I out?

One-Joke: You were unconscious for about five days.

The news ran through her like a lightning bolt. She tried to sit up.

sh'Shar: Wait. Wait! Five days? No! I have a shift starting—

Fast as lightning, Serren stood up and pressed on her shoulder, pushing her gently back onto the bed.

Tan: Hey, easy. Easy. What did I just say? "Soon as you're ready".

Mikali bit the inside of her cheek. Damn this new Whoever Tan was a lot stronger than the last model. She tried to sit up again, but he was able to keep her in bed with just two fingers.

sh'Shar: I'm fine. I can go back now.

Tan: If you can't sit up when I'm pushing you this lightly, you are absolutely not fine to work.

One-Joke: That's for sure.

Mikali slumped in the bed and groaned, twisting her head and looking at the bulkhead. Tan took his seat once more.

sh'Shar: Ugh. I'm sorry, One-Joke.

Tan: ::Skeptically, to Darweshi,:: Your name is "One-Joke"?

One-Joke: Just a nickname, Ensign. Because I was born on Earth, Kenya believe it?

Tan burst into silly giggles.

Tan: Okay, that is really funny.

One-Joke turned his attention back to sh'Shar.

One-Joke: Sorry for what?

Mikali just kept her eye focused on One-Joke, trying to ignore the Trill giggling on the couch.

Tan: ::Giggling,:: K-Kenya... Kenya believe it...

sh'Shar: I wanted to get perfect attendance. Dammit. It's... it's very important to me that I do as well as I possibly can.

One-Joke: I know. Like we said: Medical leave. You aren't missing anything because you're not rostered for anything. ::He clasped his hands together:: For now, let me just say: we're all grateful you're still with us, and you need to rest. Everything is fine. It's taken care of. You don't need to stress or worry.

Telling someone "not to worry" was usually counterproductive. Still, it was a difficult pill to swallow.

sh'Shar: Okay. I'll try. What about the eye?

Serren managed to recover enough of his composure to talk properly.

Tan: Ahh, well, you're going to have to rock an eyepatch for a few months until we're certain there are no lingering effects, and then we can slot you in for a prosthesis. You're actually in luck; we were able to find a qualified surgeon on Palanon who believes she can perform the surgery.

sh'Shar: Believes?

Tan: It'll be her first time. But you gotta start somewhere.

sh'Shar: Oh great. I'm someone's practice surgery.

Tan: Well, that's why they call it a practice! ::He beamed happily.:: Until that happens you'll get to have a eyepatch for a little while. That'll be great. They're a fashion statement!

sh'Shar: Yeah, nothing sexier than a lack of depth perception. Trust me I know: they're only hot when you really have two eyes.

Tan: ::Sheepishly,:: Best I could do, Mikali. Sorry.

She stifled a big yawn.

One-Joke: Okay, back to sleep with you. Someone will be here when you wake up.

She wanted to fight this suggestion, and stay up for a little more, but the moment she leaned back in her bed, she felt a palpable wave of exhaustion sweep over her.

In moments she was asleep again.

--

Civilian

ReachOut Project