[JP] R. Admiral Reynolds & Lt. Commander Marshall - Piratical Perquisites (Part II)

Jo Marshall

Feb 10, 2021, 2:54:31 PM2/10/21
to USS Gorkon – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG
((Wardroom, Deck 3, USS Gorkon))

Reynolds: The initial draft of this next commendation hit my desk as "awarded for acts of staunch cojones". ::She flicked her gaze toward Jo with a twitch of a smile.:: As you can imagine, that's not quite the version I sent to Starfleet Command, but the sentiment holds true. So for the many acts of gallantry performed during the infiltration of Nassau, I'm pleased to present you all with the Good Conduct Ribbon.

Once again, the smiling young crewman moved through the wardroom, passing out boxes to each of the officers present. Jo laughed, imagining for a second if Quinn had sent it, and pictured a Vulcan asking the computer for clarification. As the crewman finished another round circling the table, she placed two small boxes on the table for the command team.

Marshall: When we separated at the Gorkon shuttlebay, I had visions of the Class-C shaking apart on the ride over there. Not only did you ensure it was sturdy enough for travel, but risked your lives in it to secure information on the Azetbur’s whereabouts. For steadfast determination and hopefully a bit of thrill-seeking on the side, I’m really pleased to present Lieutenants Jona ch’Ranni and Pira sh’Qynallahr the Captain’s Commendation.

The thin maroon ribbon was a coveted one, decided by the commanding officer and given to those who demonstrated exemplary service of their duties. As Jo pinned the ribbon onto the officer’s uniforms, a small swell of pride blossomed. Gorkonites could race, and they could win. She led the round of applause for them as they returned to their seats.

Reynolds: One thing Starfleet prides itself on is the ability of its officers to cooperate and collaborate, to work as part of a team even in the most unusual and trying of circumstances. And sometimes our allies take... unconventional forms, shall we say, as is the case with Mister Zuccaro. For working with an allied party to achieve their common goals, I'm delighted to present Lieutenant Commander Jo Marshall, Lieutenant Corliss Fortune, Lieutenant Junior Grade Lena Josett and Ensigns Tahna Meru and Sarah Phillips the Joint Meritorious Unit Award.

Josett had fired off a message about following urgent leads regarding the Chien-Shiung Wu, leaving almost as soon as they had touched down. Deep Space 224's botany department had borrowed Phillips for a special project, and the redhead was currently wading through fields of formerly extinct mushrooms. So with Jo already standing at the front, there were only two left in the crowd to summon.

Quinn beckoned Fortune and Tahna forward. With a smile and nod, she pinned the ribbon to their uniforms, the mirrored design representing two halves completing a whole. A small flicker rumbled through Jo, disappointed Lena wasn’t there. They’d worked well together on the asteroid, and no doubt, they’d do so again in the future.

As everyone took to their seats once more, save for the blonde. Two boxes slipped into her hands by the young crewman, looking proud as punch to be in the wardroom with the senior crew; a rolling smile on their features.

Marshall: As Starfleet Officers, we celebrate the ingenuity and using the brain, as well as the tools we have to hand. We can find ourselves in situations where our equipment doesn't match the requirements, where we have to be creative and invent novel ways to complete what we need to succeed. ::Inhaling, she turned to the shorter woman beside her.:: For acts of cunning technical wizardry on an enemy yacht, and helping her team break out of a tough situation, ::and then to the even shorter Andorian,:: for feats of transporter trickery the likes of which would amaze an operations officer, and operating outside of her remit, Starfleet awards Rear Admiral Quinn Reynolds and Lieutenant Pira sh’Qynallahr the Innovation Ribbon.

With a wide smile, Jo pinned the cobalt and steel ribbon onto both uniforms, sitting proudly on both red and gold. The first officer put her hands together for both of them, leading the applause for the senior officers; each ribbon well and truly deserved by everyone for their efforts on Nassau.

Quinn took a moment to offer Jo a wry smile and accept the praise, then joined in with the applause to commend the rest of her crew. After a little while, she let her hands drop back to her side, not quite finished with the day's commendations, and spoke once the crowd had stilled.

Reynolds: Those of you who've been aboard for a while know I like to save promotions until last. The first is an individual who's shown courage and resourcefulness in the face of great challenges, and I'm sure they will continue to prove themselves in the future. Ensign Serren Tan, I'm delighted to promote you to the rank of Lieutenant Junior Grade, with all the associated duties, rights and responsibilities that come with it.

The Trill was beckoned forward once again, but this time it was a hollow gold pip attached to his collar. It was a stretch and an awkward fiddle on the much taller man, especially trying to do it without touching his skin, and Quinn wondered when the new uniforms would be coming in, where the rank insignia had moved to the right side of the chest. Finally, the pip was attached, and she stepped back to offer him a smile and a nod.

Reynolds: Congratulations, Lieutenant.

Marshall: Well done, Lieutenant. ::Her eyebrow lifted, with a small grin.:: Maybe try to stay out of trouble in future?

Quinn breathed out a low chuckle and brought her hands together for the newly minted JayGee, continuing to clap until he had returned to his place among his fellow officers. The final promotion brought a smile to her face before she started speaking, a genuine pleasure to promote an officer she'd see grow and develop since he'd arrived aboard.

Reynolds: The last presentation of the day goes to someone who's been with us a while now, and constantly impresses with his resourcefulness, his eye for detail, and his ability to maintain a cool head under pressure. Lieutenant Jona ch'Ranni, I'm delighted to promote you to the rank of Lt. Commander, with all the associated duties, rights and responsibilities that come with it.

Marshall: Congratulations, Commander. ::Her grin widened.:: It’s an honour to serve with you.

ch'Ranni was yet another person who towered over Quinn, requiring another stretch. There was a reason she often left that part to other people—or just outright cheated and gave people their new insignia inside presentation boxes. With the new hollow gold pip attached to his collar, she stepped back and gave him a warm smile, nodding in agreement and approval.

Reynolds: Congratulations, and very well earned.

As the towering Andorian found his seat once, to a round of applause from his fellow officers, and a whistle from Jo, as per the custom, Jo waited for the clapping to die down before she lifted the glass of lida juice from the table.

Marshall: Well done, everyone. Make sure you have some fun on Deep Space 224 this shore leave; there’s plenty to do, several hundred decks to get lost on, and an extensive brig, so I’m told, Mister Tan. And so, in the time-honoured tradition, ::raising the glass, she smiled, slipping a hand into her pocket,:: to the Gorkon!

fin

--
Rear Admiral Quinn Reynolds
Commanding Officer