[JP] VAdml. Reynolds and Lt. Cmdr. Neathler - Jobs Well Done (Part I)

Quinn Reynolds

Mar 6, 2024, 2:49:29 PMMar 6
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Sto’Vo’Kor, USS Gorkon))

The main crew lounge was packed to the gills. All the senior staff were in attendance, as well as many of their friends and colleagues. A more relaxed setting than some of their more formal ceremonies; a chance to ease straight into the congratulations and celebrations afterwards. She knew that some among the crew preferred it over pomp and circumstance, and while you couldn’t please everyone all of the time, it was nice to mix it up and let everyone have the opportunity to experience a ceremony they could enjoy.

Quinn finished off the last of her cocktail—or mocktail, as the case was; all the flavour, none of the alcohol. It looked like everyone had arrived, and it was about to tick over to the appointed time. Straightening her uniform, the hybrid looked toward Sami.

Reynolds: Ready to go?

Neathler: As ready as you are.

She always had double feelings when it concerned awards ceremonies. So Samira focused on the positive side of it all. It was about celebration and honouring those who had done well and deserved recognition for their actions and hard work. Smiling, she nodded towards Quinn.

A gentle chime rang out, Quinn tappping a spoon against her glass to draw the assembled officers’ attention. Chatter quietened, and eyes fell on the pair of command officers in front of the lounge’s floor to ceiling windows. Taking a breath, squashing down the anxiety she always felt when she was the centre of attention, she began.

Reynolds: Thank you, everyone, for coming today. It’s tradition on the Gorkon to begin our award ceremonies by presenting the Purple Heart. It’s the hardest commendation to receive, representing a great personal sacrifice and the recipient enduring injury in service to others. As such, I’m honoured to present the Purple Heart to Lieutenant Commander Neathler, Lieutenant Gnaxac, and Ensign Ferrucci.

A sombre round of applause filled the crew lounge, no cheers and whistles. A mark of respect and gratitude for those who’d been injured in the line of duty. Most hoped it would never be them, that they could serve Starfleet and help their fellow crew without ever needing a critical visit to sickbay.

Neathler: Serving in Starfleet is not without a risk, especially when you have a knack for being around explosive events. When one of our crew presented herself at Sickbay, it didn’t take our medical officer long to discover that this Bajoran had suffered long lasting physical damage. Thanks to the good care and immediate reaction of our medical staff, this person had a complete recovery. So it is with great pleasure that I present the Recovery Ribbon to Lieutenant Commander Tahna and the Trauma Support Advocate Ribbon to the helping hands of Ensign Ferrucci.

Her eyes searched for one of the newest additions to the medical department. When she spotted Alessandro she clapped and joined the already sounding applause, while smiling at the young man. The Human was a great addition to the crew and had already settled down easily. And if what she had heard was correct, he was somewhat of a cook too. Ensign Dahlquist who shared quarters with him, was a lucky person. But with that award presented, they could move onto commendations which didn’t balance on the knife-edge of congratulation and commiseration.

Neathler: Visiting an unknown planet is always a risk. Even more so when going undercover, ::Her eyes roamed over the crowd, a smile showing on her face.:: or try to at least. Or when you have to make contact with a cult, not knowing what their intentions are or how they will respond to strangers. Unfortunately, for some of our crew, the cultists on Sargasso V saw us as an enemy and captured them. I hereby give Commander Marshall, Lieutenant Commanders Tahna and Aegam, Lieutenant Stoyer, Lieutenant Junior Grade Doz Finch and Ensigns Mirak and Bowers, the Prisoner of War ribbon.

At least all of them had come out of their predicament unscathed, maybe a bruise here and there, but nothing that could not be undone. Neither had they succumbed to any brainwashing. Reading the reports afterwards, told Samira more about the strength of her crew. Even when captured, they never gave up on their task and after freeing themselves, they managed to free the cultists too. So it was with great pride she applauded together with the others as a crewman handed out the ribbons to those she mentioned earlier.

Reynolds: The reason many of us joined Starfleet was, to quote one of our most famous captains, “to boldly go and seek out new life and new civilisations.” Our mission was one of rescue and science, and many of the officers who took part made discoveries which scientists of all disciplines will research and investigate for decades to come. Commander Marshall,  Lieutenant Commander Neathler, Lieutenant zh’Tisav, Lieutenant Junior Grade Finch, and Ensigns Bowers and Ferrucci, I’m pleased to present you with the Explorer’s Ribbon.

She brought her hands together with the rest of the crew, smiling as she watched the crewman pass out ribbons to worthy recipients. They’d gone through hell and high water—kidnappings and rock falls and all the rest—to make their discoveries. And despite that, maybe she was a little jealous. Quinn loved being out among the stars and discovering what secrets they held, and she wished she’d seen some of the sights the mission had uncovered.

Neathler: I wonder if there is one machine or device in that big universe of ours that is able to keep its secrets from so many talented engineers we have among our crew. With years of experience behind her belt or ocular enhancers, the machine that made space vessels crash on Sargasso V was no match for our inventive Lieutenant Junior Grade Finch. And thus it is with much pleasure, I present her the Innovation Ribbon.

She searched for Doz among the crew, smiling and applauding as a crewman handed her over the ribbon. The ship’s crew had plenty of experienced engineers. And Samira had nothing but respect for every one of them. From the Admiral standing next to her who was building a Bajoran lightship from scratch, to Vylaa who had done something similar like Doz while a small group was stranded on that rogue planet. But this was Doz’s moment to shine and it could be heard by the loud applause that filled Sto’Vo’Kor.

Reynolds: One of the discoveries made during this mission is one Starfleet holds precious—first contact with a life form. Despite the initial difficulties that always come when two species are so different, our team was able to find common ground and work together. Lieutenant Commander Neathler, Lieutenant zh’Tisav, and Ensign Ferrucci, I’m proud to present you with the First Contact Ribbon.

The gathered burst out clapping, enthusiastically congratulating the team. First contacts were delicate things, especially in high stress situations like the one the away team had experienced. But they had handled it with aplomb, and while she wasn’t sure they could describe relations as warm, there was definitely a foundation to build on. She couldn’t wait to find out what diplomatic teams would learn about their new associates.

Neathler: The next foursome used their own means of transportation to distract the inhabitants of a scavenger camp, all to rescue a group of captured tourists. With a risk of their own lives, they ventured into the camp and freed those trapped people. It is with great pleasure that I present the Starfleet Medal of Commendation to Admiral Reynolds, Lieutenant Commander Sevo, Lieutenant Gnaxac and Ensign Ylvor, for their bravery, courage and fortitude.

She smiled briefly towards Quinn. Four against a whole group of scavengers. It was a feat Samira would have preferred to be at, even if it was only to make sure those from the crew came out safe and sound. It showed that with cooperation between the different departments, one could achieve a lot. She was going to make sure Ylvor, who had since transferred, would receive her medal.

Reynolds: Sargasso V came with a unique set of challenges, not least the nature of its inhabitants. We all encountered some degree of hostility, but two of our teams resisted capture; escaping their would-be prisons and using their freedom not to retreat, but to learn more and pursue the mission goals. As such, I’m pleased to present Commander Marshall, Lieutenant Commanders Tahna and Aegam, Lieutenant Stoyer, Lieutenant Junior Grade Finch, and Ensigns Mirak and Bowers the Good Conduct Ribbon.

As applause erupted once again, Quinn reflected on how the cult was a strange situation, and one that would no doubt be the focus of a number of attempts from Starfleet and Bajor at reconciliation. So many had joined the cult because they had no other choice for survival, but prising them from it would require major deprogramming. She didn’t envy the work Starfleet’s Medical Corps had ahead of them.

TBC

--

Vice Admiral Quinn Reynolds

Commanding Officer