Kireth - An Opportunity Presents

Quinn Reynolds

Sep 30, 2023, 3:49:39 PM9/30/23
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Sanctuary of the Eye of Infinity, Sargasso V))

She’d been here for... how long, now? She didn’t know. The rotation of the planet and the turns of its sun were foreign to her, revolutions and seasons which didn’t fit with her own internal clock. Time had lost its former meaning, marked now by plantings and harvests and rites. And of course, the Falls.

But she finally had a chance. People who had come here by design, and without the disaster which brought so many others to the planet. A ship which had landed, and not crashed. A way... well, perhaps not home, but to a future that wasn’t coerced worship.

The corridors were empty, just as she’d hoped, and the faintest smell of oorcha root lingered in the air. A peculiar plant, native to this planet. Edible, and really quite delicious, but with a few unusual properties. One of which was its scent, which caused most mammalian species to avoid it. Some of the once-scientists in the cult theorised it was a defensive mechanism to stop exposed roots from being eaten, acting on the limbic system to cause an instinctual aversion.

It was also extremely useful for assisting in the rescue of captured Starfleet officers.

Kireth touched the controls on the outside of the door, and it silently slid open. The officers were not where she expected them to be. They were not hanging from the ceiling, where the elders had ordered them strung up. Instead, they were crowded around an open vent, smoke curling around their ankles, one of their number unconscious on the floor.

Three of them. All Human. A species once considered a foe, now a potential... well. Who knew? She’d had a lot of time to think. A lot of people to speak with. Some truths had become questions. Some questions had found their answers.

The Vorta cleared her throat.

Kireth: You’ll have an easier time leaving if you follow me.

Marshall / Finch / Bowers: Response

Dressed in the long tunic and loose trousers everyone wore, she clasped her pale, fine-boned hands in front of her. Dark waves of hair fell loose around her shoulders, and she peered at the three with bleached violet eyes. She looked down at the unconscious young man, and offered the two women an apologetic smile.

Kireth: Ah. My apologies. The vapour was me. I needed a way to clear the corridors. ::She cocked her head to the side.:: A good shake and he should wake up. In most people it triggers an impulse to be somewhere else. But a few have a paradoxical reaction and fall asleep.

Marshall / Finch / Bowers: Response

Kireth: I can explain everything I know, but once we’re somewhere safe. ::Her voice was velvet, soft and pleasing to most ears.:: The elders here are not happy that you landed, rather than crashed.

Marshall / Finch / Bowers: Response

--

Kireth

Reluctant Cultist