Ensign T'Lar- Good fences make good neighbors or PONFO MIRANN!!!

1 view

C Lupo

Jan 23, 2023, 8:44:56 AM1/23/23
to Gorkon IC
((OOC: Its a longish one because I had a lot to catch up on. Also... the opinions expressed by the characters in the following dramatic presentation do not necessarily represent the opinions and views of the writers of said dramatic presentation. Parental discretion is advised...))

((Cyrithra Forest, Palanon))

T'Lar: I first met Ensign Finch in the Admiral's office when I payed my respects. I do not believe she and I attended the Academy together. ::To Doz:: I was 30 when I first attended the Academy, and I am 56 now, however I missed a year and a half. after the Breen attack on Starfleet. It's possible, give the closeness in our ages, that you could have been an upperclassman. I graduated in 237805.15.

Finch: Did you? ::she asked, voice emphasised:: I graduated in twenty three fifty eight, I think it was. Or was it fifty nine? It might have been fifty nine. God it was a long time ago now. But I was enlisted, so I think the odds are against us there.

Alieth: Fascinating. I was just going to tell the Ensign Doz that I would introduce her to some of the crew if she wished to, would you like to join us?

T'Lar: That would be greatly appreciated. I have seen a few people thus far that I have met, however I have yet to meet my Department Head, Lieutenant Fortune.

Finch: She’s a good one, that Lieutenant Fortune. Met her on the Rogue Planet—I wouldn’t mind catching up with her again, given the fact we’re not hunched in a collapsing tunnel anymore.

Finch raised her eyebrows knowingly at Alieth; who answered in the same vein, but with a considerably more nonchalant face.

T'Lar: So, Commander... You are from Chi-ree. :: It wasn't a question :: I do not believe I have ever met a Vulcan from Xi'al in Starfleet before, let alone Chi-ree. I myself am from Northern Shi'al, near the Tat'Sahr border. I am curious, what brought you to a career aboard a Federation Starship?

Alieth gave a nod and took a moment to set the plate she had been pecking from on a nearby table, before she tucked her hands into the wide sleeves of her desert attire.

Alieth: My initial training was in medicine, and as such I entered the fleet to be of service and to help others. There are far more people in need of a doctor, or a scientist, outside of Xial than in the province, logically.

T'Lar: ::with a raised eyebrow of her own:: Intriguing. My journey here met with some resistance initially, which is why I entered the Academy at an age later than most. ::To Doz:: I find it fascinating that you entered into service not as an officer candidate, but as an enlisted person. I would be interested in hearing about your experience transitioning from the enlisted ranks into the officer corps.

Alieth simply raised an eyebrow at the statement.

Finch: And I’ll be happy to tell you all about, Ensign T’Lar. Over tea in the Continuum, again, maybe. Or one of the other ones. I’ve got my eye on Sto’Vo’Kor. See if I can convince the bartender to make an English brew for us—he’s a Klingon, apparently. I’ve had my fair share of arguments with Klingon’s, and I’ll bet you it’s an argument I can win.

More than once a  micro-expression of not quite annoyance but quiet disapproval seemed to flicker over the smaller Vulcan's face whenever T'Lar addressed Finch. She wasn't sure what she was being judged for, but she could guess. Amongst Vulcans, discussions of age were considered to be intimate. But Doz was her friend, was she not? To be fair, only another Vulcan attuned to the subtleties of Vulcan expressions would even notice. Still, T'Lar was not overly surprised given the Xi'al region's stubborn backwater conservatism. She suppressed her own defiant expression of annoyance, choosing to behave as if nothing was amiss, yet inwardly she felt a twinge of familiar anxiety. Amongst her own kind the thing she feared the worst was to be considered tekerik*. Vulcan arrogance was not something that sprang anew with their introduction to non Vulcans. However derisive their haughtiness might appear towards tfi'kien**, they saved their judgemental prickly best for each other. Worse, despite their promotion of the idea that they were an enlightened society, once an affront was received or a negative impression made, very often they were held fast, and with some could forever color the interactions between themselves and whomever they had been wronged by or passed judgement upon. Vulcans in Starfleet were of a more adaptable vein, however, as it would be detrimental to their own mental health to be petty and judgemental amongst so many emotional species. T'Lar wondered which tendency this pi' eshik valit*** favored. She felt herself go cold inside as she mentally tamped down her own micro-agressions, in favor of focusing on one of the least judgemental persons she'd yet to encounter in her travels beyond her homeworld.

T’Lar: I would find it agreeable to breakfast with you at either, Doz, though I maintain that other than raktajino, Klingon food does not agree with me.

Finch: Join us won't you Commander. Nothing better than when colleagues get together over tea. Though in fairness, I’m sure you’ve got other matters to attend to, rather than mixing with dotty Ensign’s. ::she elbowed T’Lar gently and proffered a wide and wrinkled smile::

Alieth: I tend to have a busy schedule but from what I hear, you have a tendency to get less sleep than your biology requires, Ensign Doz :: The slanted eyebrows lowered slightly on her face in a look not unlike a demon of the desert, her eyes briefly glowing with sparks from a nearby bonfire:: Perhaps I can show you some of Chi-ree's best tea blends in one of those moments.
She said this, raising her cup.

T'Lar was stunned... Firstly, because such a statement indicated that the commander had access to Finch's medical files. How else would the diminutive little Vulcan know such a thing. Several red flags appeared in her mind. Under which circumstances would Doz's medical information be shared with Alieth? Starfleet had very strict guidelines on patient doctor confidentiality. One had to have a "need to know" in order for such information to be shared. While she supposed that there might be a reason for the commander to be in possession of such information, habits detrimental to fitness for duty, perhaps?... Still, she could not conceive of a single appropriate reason to DISCLOSE such private information as the ensign's sleeping habits in the presence of others. There could be any number of reasons, medical or psychological that might conspire to give Finch insomnia. To make mention of the matter in such a cavalier way raised serious alarms... What if the reason so for her insomnia were trauma induced? Or had to do with an illness that she would prefer to keep private...

T’Lar: ::Cooly:: Xi'al is known for its agricultural riches on Vulcan, including several varietals of tea that are quite flavorful. Chi-ree tea, however, is often bitter and sour.  ::Regarding the little desert demon :: Of course, that is only my opinion.

Fortunately, Finch seemed un-triggered by the commander's comments.

Finch: Who’s first then on the list of introductions? Speaking of dots, I can see a trill over there with red hair talking to Neathler. And she’s stood next to quite the handsome fella too—bondmates? ::she raised her eyebrows to Alieth and T’Lar, using the same expression impishly::

Alieth: Ah yes, Cory Stoyer, one of our Helm officers. They are courting each other so far, I doubt they have bonded yet.::tilting her head towards Doz:: Maybe we should ask him, he might be looking for a more experienced bondmate like yourself to settle down with.

T’Lar: ::stifling a spit take, she pretended to cough:: Excuse me... ::she covered her mouth with a napkin, then wiped the spilled beverage off of her sleeve. A chocolate stain upon her prized Aran sweater... She shot a side eye at Alieth, lasting only milliseconds, but hot as the Forge in it's intensity. oOPONFO MIRANN****!!!Oo

T'Lar was truly astonished at the lack of boundaries that the commander was displaying. Violating medical privacy. Gossiping. Matchmaking. Encouraging a subordinate to engage in a potentially disruptive violation of a stable relationship? It was not as if this were an attempt at humor, unless she had seriously misunderstood the commander's demeanor and affect. As a counselor, she found herself extremely disconcerted with such conduct. Were she already settled in, she would definitely seek the input of her superior on the matter, but she had yet to meet her. T'Lar's Vulcan analytical side postulated that perhaps, in the spirit of the festivities, the Commander might be under the influence, having possibly imbibed some inhibition reducing substance... Chocolate for example could very easily intoxicate a Vulcan and there were a plethora of items on offer featuring at least a dozen varietals of the dark, delicious substance. That would not excuse her behavior, however, as officers were held to a high standard of conduct even when off duty with regards to rules and regulations; but it would help explain the breach of ethics. For now T'Lar simply filed the interactions away in her idetic memory, to be potentially revisited at a more appropriate time.

Finch: I could do with a new drink, to be honest, considering mine tastes like carcass. I’ll have a black tea this time. ::she turned to Alieth, without batting an eye:: best to play it safe.

The shorter Vulcan's eyes narrowed marginally in approval.

Alieth: An outstanding idea.

T’Lar: ::having drained the last of her drink, she set it aside on a tray filled with similarly discarded vessels:: I am not thirsty at the moment, however I am interested in sampling some of Commander N'kai's renowned pastries.

They each moved over to a different table, around which other officers milled and chattered. The Vulcan commander was clutching a mug, but all T'Lar's nose would reveal was some sort of coffee.  Doz gave  a chuckle, bemused by some private thought, and poured herself another tea, this time black. Also at the table was a Caitian female. Doz straightened her back and threw a wrinkled smile at her.

Alieth: Lieutenant L'rann, it has been a long time since we last met.

L’rann: Hello, Commander. Nice to see you.

T’Lar was intrigued. Another species she had never met. The feline humanoid stood five feet and eleven inches tall, or so it seemed, though perhaps she would be taller if her bare but furry feline feet were raised up onto her toes. She was orange in color with short fur, dressed in her duty uniform, minus shoes as previously mentioned. Her hands were clasped behind her back, and her tail swished slowly from side to side in a sensual and aesthetically pleasing manner. As Alieth poured water into her mug and Doz sipped her tea, T'Lar waited patiently to be introduced.

Alieth: I see. ::turning to her two companions::  Let me introduce you to two of the new additions to the crew, Ensigns Finch and T'lar.

L’rann: Hello.

Finch: ::putting her tea down, and stretching out her small hand:: Hello, love! Now, Lieutenant, before you say anything, it’s only Finch. ::she licked her teeth animatedly:: Binch isn’t even a real person. Nothing more than a silly rumour. ::her lips inverted amusedly::

T’Lar: Greetings Lieutenant. It is a privilege to meet you. I have never met a Caitian in person before.

Alieth: I recall that in Darime you talked about being the caretaker of an infant from your family. Did she accompany you to the surface today?

L’rann: Yes. She was just here…

L’rann called over to a younger example of her species, who was busy selecting a baked item from the table.

L’rann: M’Rish! Come here, I’d like you to meet some people.

The younger felinoid darted over to them with a baked treat. A look of endearment washed over Doz’s features.

L’rann: M’Rish, this is Commander Alieth, and Ensigns Finch and T’Lar. They work on the ship like me.

T'lar noted that, not unlike the provincial Vulcan, L'rann rrrrrolled her rrrr's and accented her s's, though her voice was of a higher pitch.

M’Rish: Hello. ::She said quietly.::

Finch: Hello little one. Got a taste for the hearty stuff, I see. If you can find any, it’ll be even better with marmalade spread all over it.

T'Lar dropped to her haunches in what some disparagingly called "the Vulcan squat", bringing her to eye level with the young Caitian.

T'Lar: It is most agreeable to meet you, M'Rish. My name is T'Lar.

Alieth: Response

L’rann: Sorry, she’s quite shy and wary of strangers; even if she’s seen them around the ship.

Finch: Oh, don't worry at all! ::she waved her hands dismissively:: I knew a Caitian who had the opposite issue actually. M’oa was her name. Had a gregarious son who didn’t know how to retract his claws. Ruined every bit of fabric he laid his paws on. I told her he had better learn how to control them before he’s a teenager, or it’ll be goodnight Irene to everything and everyone he touches. ::She harrumphed and took a swig of her tea::

T'Lar: It is a completely reasonable response. ::T'Lar gave the youngling a small smile, and Alieth be damned... Standing, she addressed the feline lieutenant.:: She lives with you here? On the Gorkon, I mean?

Alieth: Response

L’rann: It’s a long story. How much time do you have?

Finch: As long as it takes, L’rann. I don’t know about these two, but I’m all ears.

T'Lar: If it pleases you to share... I was simply curious. I have only seen a small part of our ship's "community service" offerings, thus far.  I am fascinated by the amount of civilian activity that goes on. I imagine she attends classes on board?

Alieth/L’rann/M’Rith: Response

Finch: That’s a shame, that is. But it does unfortunately happen sometimes.

L’rann/M’Rith/Alieth: Response

T'Lar: ::kneeling again:: Do you have a favorite subject, M'Rith?

M'Rith: Response

T'Lar: ::Nodding solemnly, showing respect to the child's answer:: That is a very important subject. Am I right in guessing that you are very good at it?

M'Rith/ L'rann: Response

Alieth/ Doz: Response

*tekerik Vulcan:
deviant
markedly different from an accepted norm
**tfi'kien Vulcan:

alien/not of Vulcan species
***pi'eshik valit Vulcan: phrase describing a little desert rodent know for its sharp claws and ability to dig
****Ponfo Mirann Vulcan: expletive with no translation

Ensign T'Lar
Counselor
USS Gorkon