Lt. Cmdr. Alieth - Gummy Bears and Confectionery

Alieth

Jan 24, 2023, 6:14:43 PM1/24/23
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Cyrithra Forest, Palanon))

Alieth had encountered not only two of the crew's most recent additions, but a familiar face she hadn't seen for a few weeks. So, while she waited for her tea to reach the perfect point before drinking it, she asked for the family of the Caitian operations officer.

Alieth: I recall that in Darime you talked about being the caretaker of an infant from your family. Did she accompany you to the surface today?

L’rann: Yes. She was just here…

The woman leaned slightly to one side, like someone expecting to find something right next to her. However, as Alieth was used to finding herself regarding CC, L'rann did not find the infant beside her, and after she turned this way and that, golden eyes inspecting every meter in sight, she managed to find the little girl next to a table filled with sweets and breads.

L’rann: M’Rish! Come here, I’d like you to meet some people.

The subadult feline trotted towards them with a loaf of bread in her hands, looked at her kin for a moment and then seemed to shrink down, eyeing the other adults.

L’rann: M’Rish, this is Commander Alieth, and Ensigns Finch and T’Lar. They work on the ship like me.

The kitten seemed to cower even more.

M’Rish: Hello. ::She said quietly.::

Finch: Hello little one. Got a taste for the hearty stuff, I see. If you can find any, it’ll be even better with marmalade spread all over it.

T'Lar: ::squating:: It is most agreeable to meet you, M'Rish. My name is T'Lar.

Alieth nodded politely, offering the girl as much space and time as she needed, staying a little behind the other two women. Alieth had always appreciated working with children and knew how to behave with them, so she said Nothing, but when the little grey feline eventually raised her gaze towards her, she gave her a wink.

Only then, did she speak.

Alieth: Hello M’Rish

L’rann: Sorry, she’s quite shy and wary of strangers; even if she’s seen them around the ship.

Finch: Oh, don't worry at all! ::she waved her hands dismissively:: I knew a Caitian who had the opposite issue, actually. M’oa was her name. Had a gregarious son who didn’t know how to retract his claws. Ruined every bit of fabric he laid his paws on. I told her he had better learn how to control them before he’s a teenager, or it’ll be goodnight Irene to everything and everyone he touches. ::She harrumphed and took a swig of her tea::

T'Lar: It is a completely reasonable response. ::Standing, she addressed the feline lieutenant.:: She lives with you here? On the Gorkon, I mean?

L’rann: It’s a long story. How much time do you have?

As the others spoke, Alieth rummaged in one of the hidden pockets of her ample robes until she came upon a small black box. She held it out wordlessly towards the little Caitian and then placed it on a nearby table, within the kid reach if she so wished. Within it was a small handful of the sweet confections in the form of unrealistically colourful ursidae that human children (and adults, and many aliens with only a tangential or even minimal connection to Earth) tended to appreciate.

The gummy bears were a good treat for all and if M'rish didn't like them, one of the hungry diners around Caedan's confectionery could easily find them palatable.

Finch: As long as it takes, L’rann. I don’t know about these two, but I’m all ears.

T'Lar: If it pleases you to share... I was simply curious. I have only seen a small part of our ship's "community service" offerings, thus far.  I am fascinated by the amount of civilian activity that goes on. I imagine she attends classes on board?

L’rann/M’Rish: Response

Alieth folded her arms inside her wide sleeves once more, as she listened to the narration, and exchanged a glance with Doz just as it came to an end. Once more, she remained silent, but the grizzled engineer voiced what the petite Vulcan thought as well.

Finch: That’s a shame, that is. But it does unfortunately happen sometimes.

The petite Vulcan bowed forward a few millimetres, indicating her acquiescence.

Alieth :She seems to feel safe with you, L'rann, and that is fundamental. ::Nodding deferentially:: You are making the correct choice.

L’rann/M'Rish: Response

T'Lar: ::kneeling again:: Do you have a favorite subject, M'Rith?

M'Rish: Response

T'Lar: ::Nodding solemnly, showing respect to the child's answer:: That is a very important subject. Am I right in guessing that you are very good at it?

As the ensign talked to the girl, Alieth turned to L'rann and Doz.

Alieth: Have you had a chance to take some downtime since the start of the reconstructions?

 Doz/ L'rann: Response

Alieth: I see, these celebrations are therefore a perfect period to relax, then. I suggest you visit Yarista if you get a chance, it is certainly a remarkable location.

And one that, despite having received notable damage in some quarters due to the earthquakes that the rogue planet had brought with it, had been rebuilt with astonishing speed. The Tyrellians knew how to thrive despite the catastrophes that had beset their history and had found beautiful approaches to repairing the damage, in a style that reminded Alieth of the kintsugi technique she had encountered on her visit to the region of Earth known as Japan. That approach of finding beauty and meaning in spite of the damage something had suffered, to enhance its resilience without forgetting its history, was something that appealed powerfully to the tiny Vulcan.

T'Lar/ Doz/M'Rish/ L'rann: Response

Before Alieth could add anything else, there was a small commotion at the other end of the clearing, followed by an extremely cheerful and enthusiastic "borrobork!. One that used to herald a particularly excited mastiff, and that usually meant trouble to Alieth.

Alieth: Excuse me, I suspect I am required elsewhere. I trust that you will have an agreeable night.

T'Lar/ Doz/M'Rish/ L'rann: Response

Alieth raised her hand in the traditional gesture of her people before she slipped through the crowd and disappeared into it, something she was exceptionally skilled at doing. When he finally reached the other side of the clearing, he found that, once more, Cheesecake had chosen a new best friend and pranced like a puppy around Commander Nkai, trying to pick up something he held in his hands.

Alieth: Cheesecake, kroykah1

Nkai: Response

Finally, the chemist managed to reach for Cheesecake's collar and prevent her from bouncing up and down once more. A hand placed gently on the animal's head soothed her enough to make her sit up, although her tail still wagged happily and her eyes were still fixed on the Rodulan.

Alieth: Are you all right? Nothing broken?

That last question wasn't so much aimed at the man as at the condition of what he was carrying.

Nkai: Response

OOC:

1kroykah -> Vulcan, stop immediately
Lieutenant Commander Alieth
Chief Science Officer
USS Gorkon NCC-82293
E239702A10
Image Collective Facilitator /Art Director
===