Mikali sh'Shar & Ens. Serren Tan - Andorian Blues: The Eye of the Storm, Part I

David Adams

Nov 30, 2020, 8:42:32 AM11/30/20
to Gorkon
(( OOC: Rolled to see how sh'Shar's recovery would go... ))

(( Recovery Room, Sickbay, Iana Station, day unknown ))

When Mikali sh'Shar woke up, she didn't feel any pain at all.

She had hurt so much for so long, it felt almost discomforting to be comfortable, as though the experience was another delusion. Some imagined reality where her terrible choices had not led her to a terrible experience. A happy place. Mikali had truly few of these; her home life was unhappy, her work life had been unsatisfying, her "leisure time" quite personally destructive.

But as she stirred, one good eye fluttering open, she was not in a "happy place" but actually felt rested, pain-free, and comfortable in the advanced biobed in Iana Station's infirmary. That would have to do.

Slowly, she became dimly aware that there were others in the recovery room with her. Two guys sharing an oversized couch, one asleep. Serren and One-Joke. Serren shook the other awake.

Tan: Hey. Hey, she's waking up.

One-Joke sat up with a jolt, and the two of them shared an awkward grimace, realizing they had been dozing off against each other. They adopted a more professional sitting pose, both smiling happily.

One-Joke: Mikali! Welcome back.

Tan: Good evening, sleepyhead!

Mikali squinted in confusion, shifting around on her biobed. She felt weak and half-asleep, as though she was living another delusion. But this one, she sensed, was real.

sh'Shar: What happened?

Serren looked to One-Joke in a kind of, "You want to tell her or should I?" way, but eventually spoke up.

Tan: I got a call saying that, as your registered next of kin, you were in critical care in sickbay. I beamed over from the Gorkon and I've been guiding the care that you've been receiving, along with waiting for you to wake up. As to the specific cause... your prosthetic eye malfunctioned. It caused a severe infection. Lieutenant MacFarlane and a Caitian with an unpronounceable name bought you to the med-bay. ::He paused, hesitating a moment as though considering his next words carefully.:: But... you already knew that, didn't you?

Mikali didn't answer directly. Of course she knew, and of course they knew she knew.

sh'Shar: How bad?

(( OOC: Roll = 15 ))

Serren folded his hands into his lap.

Tan: Pretty bad, but nowhere near as bad as it could be. You had a pretty severe case of Andorian Enephalitis. Your optic nerves got infected and the rot spread to your brain. You almost died. That was on one of the list of symptoms, including hallucinations, confusion, delusions... ::His face split into a big, relieved smile.:: But they got to you in time, thanks to the actions of the aforementioned, and in the care of the medical staff here at Iana Station, you're going to make a full recovery. The prosthetic had to be removed, of course, but you'll be okay to be fitted with another one in time.

Well. That wasn't anywhere near as bad as she thought it was going to be, although the "Almost Died" bit rattled around inside her head for a moment as though pointing out to her, "Hey, you know, this isn't something you should just ignore."

sh'Shar: I guess I owe Tasha a big present. And the medical staff too.

Tan: To be honest, I think she's just happy you're alive. Your presence is the present for all of us.

Mikali rubbed her eyes, one hand finding an eyepatch. A white medical one. The worst kind. She grimaced slightly at the two of them. They looked like they hadn't showered or slept properly in a while.

sh'Shar: I, uh, I'm sorry I caused you both a problem.

One-Joke: Actually... ::He smiled over his shoulder to the door.:: Most of the staff only deal with the occasional drunk reveller or allergy or fall, an accident on the holodeck, sprained wrist, you know... so it really made their day to have a real patient with a real life-threatening problem. Your gaggle of visitors aren't here right now, because it's the middle of the night, but you've been the star of the show here in sickbay. The staff had to limit how many people could be in here at once. Myself, Tan, Valen, MacFarlane, Catscratch... even a few other people from the program who I don't think you even know. There was a Klingon here asking about his broken ship too, but he went away when I showed him the scans of your eye. Still. Expect that he'll come looking for you later when you're up to work-related things again.

That certainly was a long list of names. Mikali's remaining eye watered and she rubbed it again. It was hard to formulate thoughts; she felt a vague sense of peace, but also exhaustion. As though she could sleep for a month.

Tan: He's right. We've all been in and out of here, taking shifts basically, checking on you. Waiting for you to be okay. Tasha was... especially upset, and Carys too, maybe. I think she's just hiding it better out of professionalism.

Her eyebrow twitched.

sh'Shar: Why?

Darweshi spoke up, frowning slightly.

One-Joke: What do you mean, why? She's a counsellor. She's expected to have a certain level of detachment as you're her patient.

sh'Shar: No, no. I mean, why did you all waste so much time on me?

It was a question the other two clearly couldn't process. She ground her teeth a moment.

sh'Shar: Are you here because I missed my shift? And you, Spots, are you here to arrest me?

Darweshi seemed genuinely offended at her suggestion, straightening his back and narrowing his eyes. Serren seemed to just blink stupidly, as though not hearing her properly.

One-Joke: Miss sh'Shar, I'm not here because my subordinate missed shifts, I'm here because my friend nearly died.

Tan: And I'm definitely not here to arrest you. We're both here because we care about you. ::Softly,:: Why would you say something like that?

sh'Shar: I don't know. I caused a scene.

Tan: You didn't do anything illegal. And if you did, your brain was on fire. Nobody here, including MacFarlane, Darweshi, Valen, your Caitan friend, everyone; nobody here thinks you did a bad thing. They're just concerned about you, not one of them are mad; they are just upset because someone they care about nearly died. The why doesn't really matter.

Mikali squirmed around on her biobed uncomfortably.

sh'Shar: I guess I just expected to get into trouble.

One-Joke tilted his head, reaching up and scratching nonchalantly at his left ear.

One-Joke: Why?

--

Civilian

ReachOut Project