Ens. Xandria Cain - Dress And Daggers

1 view

Tahna Meru

Jun 25, 2024, 10:13:56 PM (4 days ago) Jun 25
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Miaxdiso Avoi’s Quarters, USS Gorkon))

Xandria straightened the clothes strewn across the chair—the last thing her friend needed was a meltdown over a wrinkled dress or crumpled hat on top of the whole Borg situation. One dress, glittery silver with green embellishments, caught her eye, and she held it up for Miax. She could already picture the blonde in it, sashaying up to a Borg Queen, lips pursed, ready to tell the Collective exactly how things were going to happen. The image was…

Heh. The image was not something she had the luxury to dwell on at the moment.

Cain: Look, I think this dress screams “don’t assimilate, negotiate,” don’t you?

Avoi: ::Placing the orange jacket back onto the rack, she turned to her friend with a strained smile.:: You have quite a keen eye, Xandria. I do so love this dress! But…I have a feeling that beauty has no place here.

That was a damned lie. Xandria knew it because…well…because Miax was here and she brought beauty everywhere she went. Even to a Borg-infested universe. Even if she had to trade in the gala gowns for more practical wear.

Cain: Princess, if anyone can negotiate with the Borg, it’s you. And if you can’t…you will not be assimilated. I won’t let that happen. I give you my word, and— ::She reached for the d’k tahg stashed in her boot to offer Miax as some sort of physical reassurance, but very quickly changed her mind.:: Actually, just my word.

The gesture had at least earned a weak laugh from the Betazoid—small victories.

Avoi: I suppose you’re right. ::A sniff.:: We are a team after all, you and I. ::A small smile.:: Perhaps there isn’t any beauty here now but that does not mean we can’t bring some of our own.

Cain: Exactly. Now you’re starting to sound like yourself!

She watched Miax catch her breath. The Betazoid slowly pulled herself together, somehow a picture of dignity as she took the silver dress and held it up in the mirror, runny makeup and all. Xandria watched, hazel eyes taking in the flashes of light the dress sent floating around the room, across ornaments and portraits and tapestries. Across Miax’s face, her dark eyes, the reflected flecks of light like stars.

Miax lowered the dress to her side, and Xandria waited for a signal that indicated the woman was spiraling again.

Avoi: Xandria…do you think that Torvi is, ::swallowing,:: one of them here, too?

Xandria swallowed, emotion heavy in her throat, her chest, her bones. It was so much easier to ignore when she was focused on Miax. But now… Now, picturing Torvi, barely recognizable under Borg implants…

The three blondes had come aboard the Gorkon together, and while Xandria had anticipated they’d be separated eventually, she never would’ve thought she and Miax might end up in a universe where their friend simply…didn’t exist.

Cain: I’ve been trying not to think about that.

Miax’s manicured fingers squeezed hard on the dress.

Avoi: No, you’re quite right. ::A breath.:: What has happened, has happened. Even if it is incredibly scary and way beyond my comprehension. I have to accept it! We all have to accept it. ::A lifting of her eyelashes in the mirror.:: And do what we do best!

Xandia nodded, feeling oddly like the tides had turned, and now Miax was the one holding them steady. The human brushed her hair back into a ponytail, one small thing that she could control bringing her slight comfort.

Cain: Miax, you’re a brilliant diplomat, and… I know you’ll have your hands full here but please spar with me.

Avoi: Response

Cain: No, not right now, Princess! ::Despite the dire situation, she laughed.:: The gym, 0400. I know you probably won’t ever end up facing the Borg on your own, but…but just in case. Please.

Earnestly shone through in Xandria’s hazel eyes, not-quite pleading with her friend. She would never forgive herself if something happened to Miax, so she had to do everything in her power to prevent that. And part of that was making sure Miax could hold her own against the Borg—at least as well as anyone might be expected to.

Avoi: Response

--
Security & Tactical Officer
USS Gorkon (NCC-82293)