[JP] VAdml. Reynolds and Lt. Cmdr. Neathler - Jobs Well Done (Part II)

Samira Neathler

Mar 6, 2024, 2:49:52 PMMar 6
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com
((Sto’Vo’Kor, USS Gorkon))

Reynolds: Our last few commendations recognise dedicated service in leadership positions, and those who support them in that role. ::She glanced toward Sami.:: Commander Neathler, if you would go first?

Neathler: Things don’t always go as planned or something unexpected happens, which means another member of the team has to step up in order to fulfil a certain task. When Vylaa’s team members ended up injured, our tallest Andorian didn’t have to think twice and took it up on her to investigate the situation they were in. For that I gladly present the Superior Support Ribbon to Lieutenant zh’Tisav.

It didn’t take much effort to find the blue woman in the crowd. Samira clapped her hands together and gave the Andorian an appreciating nod. She would have to congratulate Vylaa later on, not only because of the received ribbons but also because of the birth of her daughter.

Reynolds: The next ribbon is awarded to those officers who lead away teams and guide them to success. Easy to say, not so easy to do, especially under the circumstances we found ourselves in on Sargasso Five. As such, I’m presenting Commander Marshall, Lieutenant Commanders Neathler and Tahna, and—::she grimaced, giving a quick shake of her head:: —myself with the Leadership Excellence Ribbon.

Exchanging an amused glance with Sami and Jo over the unfailing awkwardness of having to award oneself a commendation, Quinn nonetheless brought her hands together with the rest of the crew. Leading an away team was always a balancing act; being confident in your own judgement, yet always open to the opinions and input of others. Knowing when to keep on track, and when it was appropriate to wander from the path. When to be gentle, and when to be stern.

Reynolds: In the last of our ribbon presentations today, I’m pleased and very proud to award Lieutenant Commander Neathler with the First Officer Ribbon, for over a year of service as our ship’s First Officer. Everyone has benefitted from her guidance and support, from crewman to admiral, and we were all lucky the day she was assigned to the Gorkon.

With a rare, broad smile, Quinn led the crew’s ovation for their First Officer. A few cheers, whoops, and whistles mingled with the sound of enthusiastic clapping, and she dipped her head in a nod of appreciation. Sami had proven herself a capable XO, a bedrock of the ship, and the recognition was well deserved. She let the crowd quieten by itself, and then continued on into the last part of the ceremony.

Reynolds: Last of all, I’m delighted to announce some promotions. Ensigns Bowers and Ferrucci, would you step forward?

She waited until the two young men had made their way through the crowd, and presented themselves to two senior officers. Quinn reached for two small boxes on the table, and opened each one as she presented it. Inside gleamed a gold-rimmed black pip, signifying their new rank and status among the officers of the fleet.

Reynolds: Since the two of you came aboard, you’ve shown dedication to your duties and a desire to grow and develop as officers. You’ve proven you’re ready to take on the challenges and obligations that come with an increase in rank, and so I’m pleased to promote you to the rank of Lieutenant, Junior Grade, with all the associated duties, rights, and responsibilities.

With the two men still standing at the front, the crew showed their approval for the new JGs with a boisterous round of applause. Quinn exhaled a quick chuckle, clapping along with them. Once the cheering had settled down, she gently directed the pair back to the crowd so she could bring the next promotee forward.

Reynolds:  Lieutenant Junior Grade Doz Finch, would you come forward?

She smiled at Doz as the older woman made her way forward. They hadn’t interacted much—something she had to correct—but the reports from others had been nothing short of glowing. Transitioning from the enlisted to officer ranks often wasn’t easy, and some struggled with their positions in the pecking order. But Doz had handled it with grace and aplomb, blending wisdom with humility.

Reynolds: I’m not alone in thinking you’ve consistently impressed with your ingenuity, your wisdom, and your ability to boost the morale of your team and get the job done. I’m delighted to promote you to the rank of Lieutenant, with all the associated duties, rights, and responsibilities.

A standing ovation roared through the lounge, with the two command officers enthusiastically joining in. Doz was popular among the crew, her cleverness, humbleness, sunny demeanour, and ability to make anyone feel valued winning her many friends and admirers. The applause stretched on, and the engineer eventually returned to her place in the audience after it died down.

Reynolds: Finally, Lieutenant Commander Tahna Meru will assume the post of Science Chief. Lieutenant Vylaa zh'Tisav will be our new Chief Engineer, with Lieutenant Doz Finch supporting her as Assistant Chief Engineer.

People’s hands had to be sore at this point from all the clapping—Quinn’s certainly were. As much as she struggled with the preparation and presentation, it was all worth it to see the pride people took in themselves and their friends and colleagues. Life in Starfleet could be a challenge, and it was good to celebrate the wins. It was with pride that Samira watched the smiling people, congratulating each other for the awards and promotions. When the applause dwindled, Samira lowered her hands.

Neathler: Congratulations and well done to each and everyone of you. I’m glad to be part of this crew and this family. You all make it worthwhile.

Reynolds: Congratulations to you all, you’re a credit to Starfleet and I’m proud to be your commanding officer. ::She chuckled, gesturing to the tables laden with food and drinks as music began to play.:: I won’t keep you from the goods any longer, so please, enjoy the celebrations!

fin

--

Vice Admiral Quinn Reynolds

Commanding Officer