Ensign Bryce Tagren-Quinn - Contemplations

1 view

Kara Argyropoulos

Jan 22, 2023, 6:44:46 PM1/22/23
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Zigama Beach, Palanon))

Bryce lowered himself to the ground, picked up a discarded palm frond, and examined its edges when the discussion of Gorkon adventures came up.

Pinnate leaf with linear leaflets, lanceolate shaped, arranged on a singular plane, petiole (or stalk) still attached, coloration ranging from several breathtaking swatches of green and brown. The length of it was considerable, several meters. Not unlike something someone would find on Earth, though there were subtle differences.

He shook his head.

Tagren-Quinn: I’m sure you’ve seen many adventures, many things. How long have you been on the Gorkon, if you don’t mind me asking? I can’t remember if you’ve already told me.

Stoyer: I've been onboard the Gorkon since she was commissioned.  She has gotten us home through a lot of situations.

The human hybrid doctor paused in his busy work, allowing the words to soak in. She’s gotten us home. At that moment, Bryce berated himself for forgetting just how long the Gorkon had been around, but Cory—yes, he had been there from the beginning. And the man had seen adventures and trusted that she’d get him back home.

Tagren-Quinn: Have—have you considered placement elsewhere?

The question just tumbled from his mouth, moving on its own. When he finally reached Cory’s gaze, he could sense the truth in his words.

Stoyer: If the skipper will keep me, I don't plan on going anywhere for quite a while.

Tagren-Quinn: Ahh.

There wasn’t any real contemplation for reassignment or leaving his commission entirely, though the thought had crossed his mind several times during his recovery. Again, the prospect of a long-bearded, long-haired Bryce disappearing to the wilds of the universe off the galactic radar held appeal.

But he wanted to come back.

He wanted to follow-up with his patients—Alieth, Tzim-Shah—and, more than anything, he wanted to set out what he originally intended to do, which was to bring medical aid where it was needed.

Before he could utter any other words, he felt Elie’s presence once again. Her cheeks were rosy, her face full of delight, as she moved over to Cory with a drink in hand.

Elie: I figured you’d probably like another, Mr. Stoyer. A gift for looking out for my little baby brother.

Stoyer: Response

Tagren-Quinn: Elie, I told you that I’m hardly—

The words were halted when she whipped around, reached up on the tips of her toes, and swished his face with her hands. Her brother’s lips pushed out, his eyes wild and showing some measure of pain.

Elie: Aww! Look at this face! Can you believe he gets in so much trouble?

Stoyer: Response

Tagren-Quinn: Schhhoofffppppeellieeeahhh…

She moved Bry’s face from side to side and grinned back at Cory.

Elie: Can you continue to look out for him? Make sure he stays out of trouble?

Yes, Bryce knew what she meant, but Cory didn’t, and he wanted to keep it that way or else lose his pristine, doctorly reputation (not that it wasn’t already somewhat tarnished). Managing to break away, Bryce gave Elie a look before glancing over to Cory apologetically.

Tagren-Quinn: I’m sorry Cory, she’s had a few drinks and—

Elie: I have not!

Tagren-Quinn: --and we probably get going. Thanks for allowing us to crash for a little while.

Stoyer: Response

With a wave, the twins walked away from the man in the hammock, chattering the whole time. As the distance grew, Bryce’s arms flew up animatedly, raising both hands to his head and looking somewhat scandalized. Elie just laughed and nudged him in the side with her elbow.

Fin

--

Ensign Bryce Tagren-Quinn, M.D.
Medical Officer