Ensign Bryce Tagren-Quinn - This world is but a canvas...

Bryce Tagren-Quinn

Apr 24, 2022, 10:20:22 AM4/24/22
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com
((Cordina Valley, Mindirra Mountain Range, Palanon))

It had been a short while but, if someone would have asked Bryce, it was far too long. Time perception was relative anyway and, for someone who had spent the majority of their life on a planet, starships and holodecks just didn’t cut it. After this doozy of a mission, where lives were threatened and even taken by the space they traveled, a change of scenery would’ve been what any doctor would have ordered.

The fresh air, the abundance of vegetation, and the sounds of nature were something that soothed the soul. Add in the awe-inspiring view of snow-capped mountains in the distance and a lazy clear and blue river, it was perfect. This moon and the system in which it inhabited was one that he was still getting acclimated to but what better way to get familiar than having some first-hand experience.

Experiencing worlds this way built a personal connection that could not be matched. Adding in a group of officers that he had yet to get to know, that made it better. He had hoped to build some rapport in that realm as well.

He allowed the euphoria to take over him as he set up his blue and gray tent and settled his pack inside. There were essentials mainly, a first-aid kit and some more fancy instruments in case it was needed and they couldn’t get a beam-out fast enough.

Tahna: …there’s plenty of hiking nearby, and a river if anyone’s up for swimming. This spot really has everything for a perfect camping trip.

The Bajoran’s voice and possibly Sirin’s were the only ones that he was somewhat acquainted with, but there still much to learn about the two women. With Tahna, he had developed a quick respect for her tenacity and strength during their shared ordeal on deck 8. With Sirin, their interactions were fleeting in Sickbay, but there was something subtle that hinted of loss, of sadness even… maybe? It whispered a little to his El-Aurian blood, but it was not a talent that was strong or well-versed in understanding. Everyone on the ship had experienced loss, though, so he had placed it under that column.

Perhaps it was more pronounced because she had El-Aurian blood, too?

He glanced over to Meru and the group, excited about the prospect of hiking. Real hiking.

Tagren-Quinn: I’m definitely impressed. I’m eager to hit some of those trails. And these plants…

His voice drifted off as a low-lying brilliant blue flower caught his attention. He stooped down and started to examine it.

Sirin/Stoyer: Response

As the group continued to unpack and set-up camp, Bryce brushed his fingertips lightly against the plant’s delicate petals and leaves. It resembled something that might originate from Earth’s Aster plant family, what with its mini-ray flower and abundance of bracts. However, the square stem and opposite leaves with somewhat serrated margins reminded him of patterns found in the Mint family. His thoughts then trailed, thinking about speciation and…

Light-hearted laughter brought him back to the present.

Tahna: What, are you scared of a little dirt, Doc?

He blinked and rose up, confusion etching across his countenance, before finding his green-hazel eyes settling on the scene unfolding before him.

It was Sirin they were addressing.

Sirin/Stoyer: Response

Tahna: I grew up in the country, this suits me perfectly.

Tan: Same, I don't need fancy stuff. I grew up in a polar research station crewed by botanists. Honestly, I just can't get enough of these natural surroundings. It's so novel to me.

Botanists? That was interesting. He quirked an eyebrow, finding himself silently wanting to know a little more about the Trill man.

Tahna/Sirin/Stoyer: Response

Tagren-Quinn: I’m really glad I brought my nature journal. I had lost my original along with the rest of my belongings during the last mission, but I was able to get a new one and I can’t wait to take this all in.

A small brown notebook with cold-pressed paper, a fine-tip pen and some watercolors were among his supplies. He would draw that flower and make some notes on it later.

Tan: Ahh... take in that nice air.

Tahna/Sirin/Stoyer: Response

Tagren-Quinn: Much needed medicine, if you ask me.

He smiled before moving back over to his tent and ensuring the stakes were firmly enough in the ground. It didn’t take too much effort, making the whole experience feeling a bit too good to be true.

Waiting for the other shoe to drop was something he was going to have to consciously push aside, he determined.

Tan: Well! Let's get settled in, then let's think about lunch, should we? I'll cook! I bought fresh herbs from my quarters.

Tagren-Quinn: That’s neat! Which ones did you bring?

The prospect of food was a welcome one. He may not know what was on the menu, but he was always willing to try something that was normally outside of his scope of previously held experiences.

Tagren-Quinn: Let me know if I can help with that. I’m not a chef by any means. Brought mainly granola bars and things, but I’m open to learn something new.

Tahna/Sirin/Stoyer/Tan: Response

Over to the side a few meters was an opening of a trail. Lofty trees created shade for the understory, and birds and insects trilled from within. He was dressed down for the occasion, in a wicking t-shirt and pants that could zip down into shorts. There were a few more layers in his minimalistic tent that he could grab if the temperatures or weather fluctuated.

Tagren-Quinn: Maybe we check that trailhead out a little later too.

He pushed back his dark hair behind his ears before pointing it out to the group.

Tahna/Sirin/Stoyer/Tan: Response

--

Ensign Bryce Tagren-Quinn, M.D.
Medical Officer