Lieutenant JG Tali Namura - Genes and Gasoline (Part I)

Jo Marshall

Jan 23, 2023, 5:39:20 PM1/23/23
to UFOP: StarBase 118: USS Gorkon
((Sickbay, USS Gorkon))

As Loxley entered the office, the door behind him closed with a gentle whoosh of the pneumatic systems operating on either side. Windows, once clear enough to see every biobed in the main area of Sickbay, became opaque and frosted. Slipping out the medical device once, Tali attuned it and held it up to Doz's eyes. A lovely shade of dark brown.

Namura: You said you use ocular enhancers for your daily work. Have you ever thought about undergoing cell regeneration?

Finch: That’s right, I do. But I use them to make bigger things really small; they’re brilliant when I need to do nano-repairs, things like that. ::she turned to Loxley with wide eyes:: but they’ve always turned my eyes grey, when I wear them. I left them in when I met the Admiral and the First Officer. Might surprise them when they see me next. But cell regeneration? No, no, I don’t need that. ::she squinted:: Unless It’ll give me laser eyes—wouldn't shy away from a set of laser eyes.

Namura: Nothing so harsh, unless you really want the engineers to tremble with fear before you. Laser eyes and phaser hands are what I'd associate with security. ::The device in her hand beeped and she handed it to Loxley.:: Have you had any headaches recently? Any soreness of the facial features?

Finch: Only the usual headaches, nothing out of the ordinary. Only if I stare at something for too long, but I've always thought it was more to do with the lack of sleep.

Suddenly her expression changed and her skin wettened a touch. Tali angled a perfectly manicured eyebrow, spotless and flawless. Not willing to call much attention to it, the Doctor tilted her head slightly.

Finch: Look, I'm a bit of an insomniac–always have been–nothing altogether serious. I’m as fit as fiddle!

Making a noncommittal noise, Tali nodded as she scribbled notes down on the PADD in front of her, fingertips working quietly in the serene silence of the Sickbay. "Finch, in her sixties, showed the typical signs of wear and tear for her age and none of the ability to slow down and take a break when she needed one. Despite the above, the patient appears in phenomenal health. Really, what is her secret to her skin…"

Namura: Insomnia attacks the best of us. How often do you sleep? Do you manage to get a nap in?

Finch: Forty or so minutes, here and there. I do sleep but it’s as and when. ::She placed her hands on her knees again, gripping them tightly with a nervous smile.:: It’s healthy for the body, I’ve heard. ::she leaned over to Loxley and winked:: Often better than sleeping, is a good nap!

Namura: Do you want something to help you sleep?

Finch: No, no, no... no medication needed. Best not to waste it on me, when there are people who need it more.

As predicted, the offer was met with refusal and Tali simply nodded. She could recognise symptoms of someone struggling with a lifetime of memories and the occasional bout of PTSD that came riding alongside those who had made their career, and their lives, on starships. Not as far as space sickness. Not that far away from it.

Namura: Lox, ::she looked up to the Welsh doctor,:: could you walk Ensign Finch through the eye examination routine, please?

Loxley: Response

Finch: Where am I looking, there?

Sitting on the edge of her seat, white-knuckling it through the entire interaction, Tali observed as Doz squinted at the shapes and spirals in front of her, each one more intriguing than the last line. As she did so, Tali took some other readings off to the side on her medical tricorder. Eye strain, ocular strain, cognitive function…

Loxley: Response

Finch: I can read the top three lines, but the bottom one’s in Tellarite, which is a bit unfair, isn’t it?

Lips pursing with a small smile, Tali flicked her green eyes up to Loxley.

Loxley: Response

Finch read the first three lines of the text and Tali listened, impressed by her ability to stick at the task despite the difficulty she faced in the bottom few. As Doz's focus faltered, Tali looked up from the PADD and winced under the radar when she got the last completely wrong. Despite it, Finch smiled with the satisfaction of a job well done, leaning heavily on those years of hard work recognising symbols and shapes from the smallest of places in the dimmest of lighting.

It did, however, reveal something about Tali she hadn't considered before. What would she do when her eyesight started to fail? Would she modify herself?

TBC
--
Lieutenant JG Tali Namura
Acting Chief Medical Officer