Lt. Commander Greg Aegam - Ship and crew

Samira Neathler

Jun 22, 2024, 4:50:21 PM (7 days ago) Jun 22
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com
((Chief Security/Tactical Office - Deck 8))

The Borg. He had heard the stories, seen the images and footage. But in more recent times, they didn’t form a threat as they used to be. Of course, that all changed when someone went back in time and did something there that had given the Borg the upper hand. He’d seen the reformed world of New Cyndriel. Little life was left. As expected, some of his department checked in and he had to give them some kind of support and be there for them. And set out a course of action for the next hours until they received more news from command itself. He made notes as the others talked.

Aegam: We’ll have to talk with the other departments and command about the changes then. ::He tapped on the PADD with his indexfinger.:: We all have our specialties. I know some of the crew are good with knives and the like. Maybe we can get them involved to train us all for close combat situations. What do you think?

Bowers: I completely agree with that statement sir.

Dahlquist: Better than nothing, although I agree with our Chief. I don`t wanna sound negative here, but the best defence is to not let them get on board in the first place. We are outnumbered and the Borg have a higher physical strength than most species here on board.

Farvor: I’m… not confident I can train well in this intense if a situation, but I will try.

Aegam: If you’re experienced in eleven different forms of melee weapons, muscle memory will take over, Ensign. I’m sure you’ll do fine.

Bowers: I am decent at hand to hand combat, but not as good as some of the senior members of course. I would be honored to spar and train with them sir.

Aegam: If they’ll have the time. Everyone will be busy collecting data, information, and their own work. We’ll have to find a way that works best for everyone.

Dahlquist nodded and Greg looked sideways to the viewport for a brief moment. Everyone would need some time for themselves, too. He lay down the PADD.

Bowers: What about you guys?

Dahlquist: I`m quite good at martial arts.

Farvor: Everyone needs to be sharp.

Bowers: There’s nothing to it, it should be fun, all things considered!

For the second time in only a few minutes’ time, James managed to say something that made Greg have some doubts about the mental state of the man. He noticed the interaction between Dahlquist and Bowers, and he let the moment pass for now.

Farvor: All things considered, yes.

Linna sighed as if she contemplated if she should say something or not, Greg just looked at her, not saying a word, allowing the Vulcan hybrid the time to gather her thoughts.

Farvor: ::Rubbing her temple:: I need to be frank, sir. My Vulcan blood runs hot, and it’s running like magma now. All that’s keeping me cool is the thought of tearing apart as many Borg as I can, real or holographic. I’ll do everything I can to stay in control, but it’s important you are all aware that my emotions could be a concern.

Greg nodded in understanding, yet he noticed the slight frown on James’ features.

Bowers: All species aside, we need to not let our emotions get to us. This is a very scary time for us all. We WILL get through this, and yes, there will be plenty of borg fatalities along the way.

Dahlquist: Yeah.

The yeah was pronounced with little convincing. And Greg stood up, walking around the desk and behind the two ensigns and lieutenant.

Aegam: Actually Mister Bowers, everyone is entitled to their emotions. If you claim that training should be fun all things considered, then Ensign Farvor is entitled to her own emotions. We can expect emotions running high at times, towards ourselves, towards colleagues. Everyone is trying to cope in different ways. ::He paused a moment to let his words sink in.:: It’s the way how we handle those emotions that is important.

Farvor: Response

Bowers: What’s next on the list sir? When are we training?

Dahlquist: I`d say whenever we have time, but let`s not forget to prepare the ship for an attack, not just ourselves. If we do not allow them to get on board, we won`t have to ::beat:: you know.

Dahlquist didn’t finish her line, and she didn’t need to. Greg moved again towards his seat but didn’t sit down.

Aegam: We’ll be swamped the next days, weeks, so yeah whenever we have time and when others are available.

Farvor: Response

Bowers: I can get ready whenever I am told to.

This time Greg looked Bowers straight in the eyes, he kept his voice low, but made sure his words were not misunderstood.

Aegam: Mister Bowers, I’m not really sure you understand the gravity of the situation. It’s not a matter of getting ready. From now on, you are ready every moment of the day, the moment you open your eyes, until you have some time to find some sleep. Not only do we have to keep the safety of the ship in mind, but also that of the crew. Tensions will run high, it’ll be our job to keep those tensions low. On duty or not. Ready or not.

Farvor: Response

Bowers: All I know is, we need to prepare for an ultimately inevitable fight.

Dahlquist: There, em, there is something bothering me. I think we are missing something.

Greg took the PADD in his hands and gave the human female an encouraging nod.

Farvor / Bowers: Response

Dahlquist: Due to Johnson`s actions, the timeline has been changed. Well, you all know. The thing is. We are currently preparing and thinking of the Borg as they were in our timeline. But we cannot really assume that, can we? We do not know what they have assimilated in this timeline, what they are ::beat, swallowing the frog in her throat:: capable of in this timeline. We do not know what they assimilated of the Federation and what they know about us here. Hell, we do not even know if the Federation existed in this timeline and they know anything about us here.

Aegam: I know. What we currently know about the Borg will be handy, but we’ll have to rework our whole strategy in order to protect the ship. We’ll have to collect as much data about them during the first time we encounter them in this timeline.

Farvor / Bowers: Response

Dahlquist: Don`t get me wrong. Training is important, but that`s not all. We must try to find out more, when Johnson arrived and what has really changed here in this timeline. And how that changed the Borg in this timeline. ::beat, clearly showing that the idea troubled her:: And this is what worries me.

Aegam: And you have every right to be Ensign Dahlquist. It’ll be a new territory and a new search for us, too.

Farvor / Bowers: Response

Dahlquist: If there is no Federation here and no Starfleet, the only way I can think of here to find out is to get the information from the Borg.

Farvor / Bowers: Response

Aegam: It’ll be a risk to take, yes. Our first data will come from the ship’s sensor readings. ::He took a deep breath.:: And we’ll receive more information after a close encounter with them.

And hopefully, whoever it was in that close encounter would return to the ship unassimilated and in one piece.

Bowers / Dahlquist / Farvor: Response

Aegam: The ship is now en route to that nebula where Depot 39 was hiding. Once I hear what our plan of action is from Command, we’ll be able to plan our own next moves.

Bowers / Dahlquist / Farvor: Response

Aegam: From now on I want security not only at key positions on the ship, but spread out on every deck. Your task will not only be to keep an eye out for possible intruders. But also for your own crewmembers. Be there for each other. And when tensions rise, try to diffuse the situation without making it worse.

Bowers / Dahlquist / Farvor: Response

---
Lieutenant Commander Greg Aegam
Chief Security/Tactical