[DSX] [JP] Lt. Alora DeVeau & Dr. Gilora: Post-Quarantine Procedures, Part 2

1 view

Amanda Nordstrom

Dec 4, 2014, 10:12:50 PM12/4/14
to Garuda
(( CommQuad ))

DeVeau: And now...you’re afraid.

Gilora: Yes. I am.

DeVeau: It’s understandable.

::She was repeating herself and honestly Alora didn’t feel very useful.
She wanted to help Gilora, not simply be a recording to spit back the
same thing over and over again.::

DeVeau: The good thing, though, now Starfleet can help Cardassia deal
with them.

:: Gilora was, as she had noted to herself during the quarantine and her
long hours in the medbay, not given to nodding. For a Cardassian, it was
almost painful; but she’d worked around humanoids without neck ridge for
a long time, and she’d picked up the habit. She nodded now, eagerly. ::

Gilora: Exactly. I know there are those on both sides who opposed the
alliance, and who still oppose it, but I never thought much about it.
Never political, you understand.

DeVeau: I know our relations have, and might still considered to be,
tenuous, but I honestly think Starfleet has the best of intentions. Not
to mention, the Maquis are a common enemy, so Cardassia won’t be alone
to go after them.

::She felt inadequate and the words that she wanted to say couldn’t form
because she honestly wasn’t sure what to say or how to say it. If
nothing else, at least, she could be there to listen. Alora wasn’t sure
how many friends the woman had on the station, but it seemed like she
did need someone to confide in - at least about that.::

:: Nodding, Gilora? For the second time in as many minutes? ::

Gilora: It’s heartening, and you’re kind for pointing it out. I just
wish that I, personally, didn’t feel so -- powerless.

:: Powerless and afraid, two emotions which were fairly unknown for the
well-respected physician. In fact, the last time she remembered feeling
as she did now was twenty years ago, when she’d wondered what trade she
would pursue -- or if she would pursue a trade at all, and why she might
do so -- only to receive the news that many of her family members were
dead. ::

::That, too, was something Alora understood. Despite her eagerness to
remain a part of Starfleet, her short time in the organisation had also
taught her something about fear and the sense of powerlessness. She
still had the occasional nightmare about a particular away mission, but
she wasn’t going to think about that at the moment.::

DeVeau: I hear you on that.

Gilora: I like to be able to focus my energy. Finding that evidence of
genetic tampering with the virus, for example. But here, I’m not sure
what to do. Perhaps….

:: Gilora glanced away, at the few people visible through Tea in the
Sky’s door, and didn’t look at Alora. The crowds were smaller than she’d
heard they were usually, and in fact she wouldn’t have used the word
“crowd” at all: There were a few Cardassians, a pair of humans, a gaggle
of Starfleeters, some blue-faced creatures, something on six legs -- and
then she looked back at her companion. ::

::Alora’s eyebrows arched up. While the woman had let her focus drift,
she’d sensed there was something coming. When Gilora looked at her once
more, Alora knew there was question there of some sort for her.::

Gilora: I don’t want to impose, but if you know of anything, yes, I
would like to know.

DeVeau: I don’t know anything at the moment save that Doctor Skyfire has
found a cure - but we’re both aware of that. I have, however, set into
motion some diagnostics and parameters in the computer. I’m officially
on shore leave and with everything that’s happened, I need a break, but
I also couldn’t just leave it. So when I get any readings back, if I
discover anything, I’ll be sure to let you know. I’m also going to
assign a couple of people and see if different sets of eyes might see
something - sometimes it just takes a new angle.

:: Gilora blinked her approval. ::

Gilora: I am, and will be, grateful. Thank you.

DeVeau: I would, of course, appreciate the same - medicine and science
are closely linked and I prefer to work together, to help each other.

Gilora: Of course. Whatever you can do for me, you can also expect from
me. I ::beat:: meant it when I called you a friend. I have none here --
or I had none. But times like this -- this, and twenty years ago -- show
me what I want, what I need.

::Alora’s face lit up with her smile. While she had friends, she was
glad to offer friendship to others who desired it - and as Gilora said,
it had seemed like something she needed.::

Gilora: And I thank you for introducing me to this place, and to tea.
It’s strange, but I do enjoy this -- chay, did you say?

DeVeau: Chai.

::Alora lifted her cup and sipped at it. It wasn’t her favourite tea,
but sometimes it just hit the spot.::

Gilora: Chai, yes. It’s really an infusion of plant parts and boiling water?

DeVeau: Well, mostly. This has milk and spices and honey in it, but tea
usually indicates an infusion of plant parts and boiling water of some
sort or another.

::Generally Alora gravitated toward herbal teas, ones without caffeine.
Every once in a while, however, she would imbibe in something a little
stronger.::

Gilora: We do have something similar, but the infusion is of fish, not
plants. Have you tried it?

::An infusion of fish and water? Alora cocked her head to the side, then
drank the last of her tea before she sat the cup down.::

DeVeau: I’ve not tried a Cardassian version, but we would call that
broth on Terra.

:: Gilora’s blink this time was one of surprise, not of acquiescence.
She’d worked with many humans, but this was the first she’d heard of
this particular beverage. ::

Gilora: Maybe we should let the embassies know. A common beverage might
do what even a jointly-operated station and a collective enemy wouldn’t.

DeVeau: It’s not always with just fish though. Sometimes chicken, beef,
other poultry or pork. One of my brothers is a _huge_ fan of bone broth
- he’s a great cook and refuses even think about using replicated broth.
He’s a bit of a food snob, but I can’t complain when he cooks for me!

:: Gilora smiled, shyly, and then more widely. A brother -- who cooked
-- yes, she remembered, too, such memories, and fondly. ::

Gilora: Perhaps I’ll try the human version, then.

DeVeau: It’s not really a beverage per se, though Aime drinks it like it
is. It’s rather soothing...definitely nice to drink when you’re not
feeling well.

::And he’d always made her soup when she’d gotten sick after the cooking
bug had struck. Ah, the benefits of having a great cook in the family.::

:: Gilora drained the last of her tea and replaced the delicate glass on
the table. There was still a slight layer of liquid at the cup’s bottom,
full of specks. Motes of tea? She wondered what one might call them. ::

Gilora: Thank you for this.

DeVeau: Nah, don’t thank me. I’ve enjoyed it myself so I’m benefitting
too - and I always enjoy making and spending time with new friends.

Gilora: I think we’ll see each other again soon -- if only because I’ll
insist upon it.

DeVeau: Oh good. Maybe we can converse some more in Cardassian? I’m not
_quite_ fluent in it and would love to converse with someone who’s not a
hologram.

Gilora: I would enjoy that, too.

:: Given that the station was operated by the Union, Gilora was
surprised that the opportunity hadn’t arisen more spontaneously. Maybe
there was a strong push for unity among all its inhabitants, because she
had heard the vast majority of conversations on the station happening in
the standard tongue. Or maybe that was all due to translators? ::

DeVeau: Excellent. And maybe we can trade information about our cultures
too. Games, stories...I love to learn so wouldn’t mind learning anything
you’re willing to share.

Gilora: Yes, of course!

:: The request had caught Gilora slightly off-guard, but -- and she
barely dared to think -- it would be an unasked-for opportunity to
finally, finally show sides of herself that she’d kept hidden for twenty
years. ::

Gilora: But -- soon. Not yet.

:: She’d shared a lot in such a short space of time, and there was some
-- pressure -- on her mind, in her chest. That was enough for now. She
stood. ::

DeVeau: I know. We can’t get everything done in one tea time.

::Alora stood even as Gilora did.::

Gilora: Again, I thank you -- for everything.

DeVeau: Nah, thank you. It was fun - and I look forward to more fun
times in the future!

******

Dr. Gilora

Neurology and Telepathic Medicine