[G] [JP] Lt. Alora DeVeau & Aron Kells: New Neighbors? Part 2

Amanda Nordstrom

Dec 4, 2014, 9:32:45 PM12/4/14
to Garuda
(( Alora’s Quarters ))

DeVeau: So what else is it then?

Kells: It’s also that Starfleet reminds me of him. He was here, in my
place, for nine months, and I was -- gone.

:: He stopped himself before he said any more. He’d talked at length,
and continued to talk, to the counselors and therapists that Starfleet
provided, now courtesy of DSX (when he could get back), but he wasn’t
sure that he wanted to burden Alora with that just yet. Maybe, a small
part of him said, she’d want to be burdened with it. But maybe not. ::

DeVeau: Nine months...it could have been longer, though I’m glad it wasn’t.

Kells: It was long enough. What if I’m not good enough any more -- what
if I can’t prove myself?

::Alora snorted, a sound that was more delicate than, perhaps, a man
might have done but still quite unlady like of a gesture. She flitted a
hand through the air in a dismissive gesture.::

DeVeau: Everyone has the capacity to prove themselves, but it’s whether
or not you’re willing to put the work into it that will determine your
success or failure. There is no try, there is only do!

:: His smile was only on at half power, but it was there nonetheless. ::

Kells: You know I’d only ever say any of this to you.

::Alora clasped her hands over her heart, a motion that was a little
over dramatic and intended to be so. While she could understand Aron’s
doubts, she also wanted to be encouraging - and she truly was glad that
he felt he could confide in her.::

DeVeau: You honour me, sirrah!

::Despite the half smile Aron offered, Alora’s was out full blast. She
wriggled back to lean into the cushion of the couch, allowing her
fingers to lace together and rest over her belly.::

DeVeau: Besides, at least you know you’ve got one friendly face on
board? And will be nice to see another one on my part as well. But you
know, there is one thing that hasn’t been decided.

::She was simply going to assume, for the moment, that Kells _was_
returning to Starfleet.::

Kells: That’s true. I do have you.

:: He smiled, too, though the residual awkwardness of the request to
return and his own mixed feelings lingered there. Alora wanted him to do
so -- but what did he want? ::

Kells: I’m just not sure what to do with--

DeVeau: The ship. Perhaps we could hire and use it as an investment
opportunity? With new relationships in this area, there might be a need…

:: She’d read his mind. Yes, that was definitely an idea. ::

Kells: It’d be better than letting Tol get his hands back on it, that’s
for sure.

DeVeau: Are you kidding? If you weren’t interested, I’d pay you for your
half and simply deal with it myself.

:: As Alora grinned, he frowned suddenly. If he was deciding, or even if
he was deciding to decide, what should happen next? He’d “left,” such as
it was, as a captain and the Mercury’s CO, and, with Captain Egan Manno
around, there weren’t really a whole lot of command positions left
around. He did want to stay in the Corridor, despite any initial
awkwardness -- if he did stay -- but where did that leave him? A captain
of science, like Harku Kvitova? Besides, who would he talk to? He
thought he knew the answer to that last question, but it deepened his
frown. ::

Kells: I suspect I should talk to Egan Manno now. But -- I don’t know.
She didn’t seem to care for me too much during the Pleethion mission.

DeVeau: I wouldn’t judge by that interaction. She was probaby so focused
on what was happening she didn’t think about how she came across.

Kells: No, I know. ::beat:: But maybe it’d be better to establish a
stronger relationship anyway. What if -- what if I served as a
contractor for another month or two, requested space on the Garuda, made
an effort to get to know her? And the rest of the crew, too? It might
make things easier -- especially before they have to call me “sir” again.

:: That was, he knew, Starfleet’s original plan for him almost verbatim.
Well, he hadn’t really been ready six months ago. Now, he thought, he
was. But easing into it would be better. After all, he could still
decide not to if he was around. ::

DeVeau: That’s certainly an idea, and I bet it would make her more
comfortable because she could commit to something that wasn’t permanent,
‘try you out’ so to speak.

::And hopefully with a positive performance and a recommendation by her
that would become a permanent position.::

Kells: Yes, exactly.

DeVeau: So does this mean I’ll see you around in the corridors and ten
forward?

:: For a moment, his anxiety was forgotten and his smile was full and
real. ::

Kells: It certainly does.

:: If, he told himself, Egan Manno agreed to take him on as a civilian
contractor. Well, he’d have Calderan and the rest of her team to put in
a good word for him in the wake of the quarantine situation, at least. ::

DeVeau: Good. Talk to her soon - the sooner the better.

Kells: If all goes well, I’ll let you know where my quarters are, alright?

DeVeau: Yes. I’ll be sure to bring by a little gift.

::That gift would, of course, be another plant - what else?::

*****

Aron Kells

Civilian Biologist

USS Garuda