[DSX:CQ] JP- Lt. DeVeau & Ens. Falkenstein: Tactical Maneuvers Part 1

gemsong120

Apr 10, 2015, 9:56:20 PM4/10/15
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com

((Comm Quad))

::The voice was familiar and sounded a little amused.::

Falkenstein: Lt. DeVeau. I do believe you have been avoiding me.

::Alora paused and twirled about only to come face to face with a face that she hadn’t faced since that fateful and fabulously foul evening that had ended with her face to face with the floor.::

DeVeau: Oh...hey.

::Even as she spoke, the hue of her cheeks grew in intensity and she glanced about as if she was trying to find something, _anything_ to look at other than the gentleman who had approached her.::

DeVeau: Well um...honestly...yeah.  I have been.

::Brandon raised an eyebrow as he looked down at her. This time he was in uniform. Instead of the usual colors of blue, red or gold, his collar was black with an ensign pip. He crossed his arms over his chest.::

Falkenstein: If I offended you, then I apologize.

::More of that almost scarlet hue deepened in her cheeks.::

DeVeau: No, you didn’t offend me.

::She paused, uncertain, then admitted.::

DeVeau: I’m just...really embarrassed.

::A dark eyebrow lifted in inquiry. He managed not to smile though it was an effort. He found the blush rather attractive.::

Falkenstein: Why?

DeVeau:  I don’t know.  While I’m out hanging with my friends and meeting new people, I managed to get hammered and then vomit all over the corridor floor.  Not a very good first impression.

::The other eyebrow joined it’s partner.::

Falkenstein: ::His voice was a smooth drawl:: So you must not have many friends if you avoid people after embarrassing yourself. If I did that, I’d be a hermit.

::The comment spurred a smile to cross over Alora’s features.::

DeVeau: Well, I don’t usually embarrass myself to that magnitude.

::A smile quirked his lips with the familiar humor she had seen when she met him.::

Falkenstein: From what I heard it wasn’t your fault. ::he smirked:: Has the crazy little elf apologized to you yet? Or is she still hiding in her humiliation?

DeVeau: Um.  I actually haven’t seen her since.

::If Gabi felt guilty, it made sense that she’d be avoiding Alora, much like Alora had been Falkenstein.::

DeVeau: Even if it wasn’t my fault, it was still embarrassing.

::Brandon chuckled.::

Falkenstein: Then welcome to Starfleet. You must be new.

DeVeau: Not _that_ new.  I’ve been here a year and a half now.

::Had it only been that long?  While such little time had physically passed, it seemed more like a decade when she thought about all that had happened during that time.::

Falkenstein: So if you’re done avoiding me, how about lunch? You’re buying.

DeVeau: _I’m_ buying?

::Both fists butted against her hips and she lifted her chin in a defiant gesture.::

DeVeau: Why me?

Falkenstein: Because you were dodging me and hurting my fragile ego, young lady, not the other way around.

DeVeau:  Well, I suppose you have a point.

::The attitude deflated, but it hadn’t been particularly sincere to begin with.::

DeVeau: I suppose I could do that.

::Now that they had managed to work past the awkwardness, her expression relaxed into a smile and she folded her hands behind her even as she began to walk, assuming he would join her.::

DeVeau: So where do you want to eat?

Falkenstein: I could pick the most expensive spot of the station, but instead I’ll just pick my favorite. Jikku’s Tastes of Home. The cuisine is unique and never boring.

DeVeau: We can go there, I’m easy.

::Brandon snorted and offered his arm to her.::

Falkenstein: I seriously doubt that.

DeVeau: No, I am.  I have pretty eclectic tastes.

::They walked to the restaurant and were seated quietly in a booth. Brandon ordered two sparkling waters as the waiter handed them menus.::

Falkenstein: I always order the daily special. That means Mela’s been experimenting. The results are sometimes entertaining.

DeVeau:  Nothing in this place ever tastes the same twice.

::Although Alora tried to make a point of visiting all the establishments at some point or another, she’d patronised Jikku’s several times and, as Brandon had stated, the results were sometimes entertaining.  Alora had yet to have what she would consider a _bad_ experience yet, however.::

DeVeau: Perhaps I shall be daring and follow suit, order the daily special.

::Brandon looked thoughtful as he gazed at her. He lifted a dark eyebrow.::

Falkenstein: According to my mother, who had antiquated sensibilities, it is the duty of the gentleman to order the meal. But since you shattered my delicate feelings leaving me no choice but weep like a child in my quarters, you can order at your own risk.

DeVeau:  Oh boo hoo.

Falkenstein: Oh yeah. You broke my heart. I’m plotting revenge on Gabi for being the instrument of my boundless woe.

DeVeau:  You don’t look so woeful to me.  Honestly, I can’t think you’re serious.

::He took a sip of his sparkling water and grinned at her.::

Falkenstein: My dear lady, you will learn in time what I am serious about and what I’m not. The fun is in the exploration. Why else are we in Starfleet and on the other side of the galaxy?

DeVeau:  Well, I have to agree with you there.  The excitement of the unknown was far too much to resist.

::Brandon glanced at her again. Considering what she had experienced in the last few months, he was surprised she still had that attitude. It was his job to read reports and cull every byte of useable data. Thus he tended to know everything that was happening on the ship and elsewhere.::

Falkenstein: ::With a chuckle:: You would not believe the number of things I can resist.

::A moment later the waiter appeared to take their orders. A subtle gesture indicated that Alora’s selection was to be taken first.::

DeVeau:  I’ll try the daily special - with water.

::Her gaze shifted expectantly Falkenstein who, at that moment, seemed suddenly indecisive.::

Falkenstein: I’ll try the… um….Larish Pie followed with the  Hasperat souffle. For drinks I’ll have a Makara fizz cocktail.

DeVeau:What?  Not the daily special?

::Alora clicked her tongue and shook her head.::

DeVeau: Why do I have the feeling you set some bait that I just took without a clue?

::Brandon laughed out loud. She would be one hell of a challenge to win.::

Falkenstein: ::melodramatically:: Dear, sweet lady, you wound me to the quick with your accusations. To have such negative thoughts for one such as I whom you know not well. Crushed I am by your regard most base.

DeVeau:  You’re flowering with your words, but what’s the true meaning behind those fancy syllables, hm?

::Alora accepted her water as it was brought, then lifted it and gazed at the man over the rim of the glass.::

Falkenstein: ::He tried for an innocent look.:: Consider it a challenge to figure it out.

DeVeau: Uh huh.  What if I just get tired of it?  What then?

::He shrugged philosophically. He decided a long time ago not to be anything but himself when off duty.::

Falkenstein: ::There was a soft undertone of seriousness in his voice.:: Then you will move on, my dear. You should never endure anything you don’t want to.

DeVeau:  I guess that’s true.  Still, I shan’t move on until I eat, for doing so on an empty stomach doesn’t really appeal.

::She glanced in the direction of the kitchen.  As far as she knew, the food there was not generally made with a replicator, so it took longer than usual, but there was no sense that she was in any sort of a hurry.::

DeVeau: Did you ever imagine yourself here?

::The question was sudden, veering off from the previous topic, but she seemed genuinely curious.::

Falkenstein: ::smiles faintly:: Here at this table?

DeVeau: I mean here, this far out into space.  Before you made the decision to join the Academy, did you ever have any inkling that you might wind up in Starfleet?

::He leaned back in his seat. The faint smile touching his lips.::

Falkenstein: I knew I’d join Starfleet since I was five. I’ve always wanted that. So I worked until I got what I wanted. At least as far as my career is concerned. ::pause:: What about you?

DeVeau:Actually, it wasn’t until I was in secondary school.

::While Alora had been fascinated with all sorts of topics, science had drawn her deeper and deeper.  Then, she’d made that decision about a year prior to graduating - and had never looked back.::

DeVeau: I’m glad I did, though.  It’s kind of neat being so far out, though my mom bemoans the fact that she’s lost two children to Starfleet now.

Falkenstein: You have a brother in the fleet? So do I. Two of them in fact.

DeVeau:  I have a brother in the fleet and a brother at Deep Space Ten, though he’s not officially an officer.  At least, he wasn’t last time I saw him.

::With Adrien, Alora never knew exactly _what_ to expect.::

DeVeau: Tell me some more about your brothers.  Are they your only siblings?

::He shook his head. He had mentioned his family before, but considering her condition she probably didn’t remember.::

Falkenstein: Two brother and two sisters. The boys went into starfleet and the girls followed mom into music. Weird, but it works for us.

::Alora’s eyes lit up at the mention of music.::

DeVeau: Oh that’s right, you tried to make your mother into some famous singer.

::A lot of that night had been blurred - except, in a fit of irony, for the parts she most wanted to forget.  Now if only she could erase those portions as well…::

Lt. Alora DeVeau

Chief of Science

USS Garuda

&