Ensign Jovenan – Am I in charge here?

Jovenan

Dec 30, 2022, 3:51:12 PM12/30/22
to USS Excalibur-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Deck 5, Compartment 0613, USS Excalibur-A))

The shoreleave had been short but considering Jovenan had only spent a few days on Excalibur before it had started, the leave had accounted for most of her time on the ship. She had had time to get her physical examination done, go for a walk in and across space and have a quick drink with some of her fellow officers. And of course, familiarize herself with the corridors and some of the main locales of the ship.

There would have been some days left for the shoreleave, but the Captain had recalled the crew abruptly. She didn’t know yet for certain, what had happened to disturb their vacation, but she had heard rumours of missing officers. It had taken some time to get all the officers and crewmembers from the station back to the ship, so Jovenan had been waiting in her quarters for further instructions, which were yet to come. She was somewhat anxious, as her real-life experience in real missions was scarce. Furthermore, she wasn’t exactly sure whom to report to.

All suddenly, the internal communication system let out a whistling noise and a voice came through. Jovenan stood up from her bunk to listen to it.

Nicholotti: =/\= Crew of the Excalibur. As you have already probably heard, we have two officers who have gone missing. Despite whatever rumors you have heard, we do not know much about why or where, as the only information we have is some footage from 224 regarding their departure. Rest assured, they will be found, but it will take every one of you operating as a team to get things done. We will be departing within the hour - all departments make ready and report readiness as soon as it is achieved. Senior staff and department heads, please report to the deck one conference room for a quick mission briefing. =/\=

We really are in action now!

Jovenan was slightly puzzled. The science department didn’t formally have a department head or assistant head right now, as Lt. Commander Etan was on leave of absence, had been for quite a while now. Who should ready them and report to the command? She had been listed on the crew roster as a senior officer because of… uh, reasons? Did that mean she should attend the mission briefing? The ship appeared to have a small science department, so her being on the list could indicate she was the most senior officer present in the department. The least she could do was try and contact other blue collar crewmembers and if none of them knew better, report to the conference room. The worst case was the Captain laughing at her and throwing her out of the room. Okay, that honestly was a bad scenario, but not doing anything when supposed to couldn’t possibly be any better.

((Some time later))

((Deck 1, Conference Room, USS Excalibur-A))

Jovenan stood outside the entrance to the Conference Room, as if expecting a sign that she was expected. Considering if it was more humiliating to prance in or to stand here and be found by an officer en route to the room, she gathered her courage and entered.

The doors gave way to a large room. The Conference Room was exactly like a conference room, with a long table and several seats around it. It had a dull, bureaucratic look, yet there was a sense of majesty in the air: this is the Conference Room of USS Excalibur! This is the heart and core of the ship, right after the bridge and the warp core, at least.

Jovenan’s time basking in the splendour of the room was brief, as there were people inside, turned to her. She hastily straightened her posture and prepared herself for a formal introduction.

Jovenan: Commodore, Ensign Jovenan.

Nicholotti: Response

Jovenan: In Commander Etan’s absence, I have contacted the sciences division personnel and report that we are ready for departure.

Jovenan was nervous, which she tried her best to hide. She wasn’t sure if her presence was appreciated or not.

Nicholotti: Response

Jovenan stood still, looking to her sides, uncertain if she should sit down, keep standing or leave the room and let the actual senior officers to discuss without her spying them.

Any: Response

TAG/TBC
----
Ensign Jovenan