Ensign Jovenan – Prima inter pares

Jovenan

Jan 13, 2023, 11:54:50 AM1/13/23
to USS Excalibur-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Stuck turbolift, USS Excalibur-A))

Jovenan had to lean against the wall of the uncooperative turbolift while trying to calm down. There had been an explosion or something, the turbolift was stuck and the communications were down. Were they under attack? What weapon could cause such damage? Also, why aren’t they shooting anymore? Even with shields up, the ship would shake a little. She had no way knowing if she didn’t find a way out of this metallic casket of hers.

She stood up. She had to get out and complete her duty. Determined, she turned to the door and walked towards it. The door didn’t open, which wasn’t really a surprise considering the circumstances. She stopped and pressed the button that would open the doors. Then she pressed it again. She was as stuck as before. She had to open the door manually. She kneeled and popped the panel off to get access to the controls behind it. All she had to do was pull a lever to force the locking mechanism open. Taking the manual opening device stored behind the panel, she attached it to the door and started pulling the doors apart. She struggled a few dozen seconds before the door was open.

And the turbolift had stuck between decks. There was nothing but a cold wall behind the doors. She could not exit through here.

Trying to avoid feeling defeated so soon, she looked around trying to find another way to get out of here. Eventually, she gazed upwards. There was an emergency exit atop of the turbolift car. She could open it, exit to the turbolift shaft and climb to the next deck. Satisfied with the plan, she lifted her hand towards the exit.

She didn’t reach it. The hatch was too high for her range of her arms. She tried jumping. Then she tried crouching deeper before jumping. Still too high. She crouched again, shook her body and jumped again. Nothing worked. She jumped up and down for a few times before giving up. She looked around for something to stand on, but the turbolift was totally empty except for herself. Her miniscule body had betrayed her.

Kawarda: Ensign Jovenan, are you in need of assistance?

Jovenan was spooked by the unexpected voice. Where had it come from?

Jovenan: Kawarda!? I’m in the turbolift, can you help me out of here?

Kawarda: Response

It didn’t take long for the other science officer to open the exit hatch on top of the car and give his hand to Jovenan. He managed to pull her out, and they climbed out of the shaft.

((Deck 8, USS Excalibur-A))

Jovenan needed a moment to breath as she got to the deck.

Jovenan: Th- Thank you, Kawarda. I wouldn’t have managed to get out of there without you.

Kawarda: Response

Jovenan: I’m fine. What happened? There was a sudden shock and a loud noise, and the turbolift stopped. I tried contacting you and the bridge, but the communications didn’t work.

Kawarda: Response

Jovenan: What? How about the other systems?

Kawarda: Response

This is bad. This is really bad. The comms was out, the turbolifts were out, the main computer was unresponsive, the astrometrics worked suboptimally. For all they knew, the other systems could be down or degrading. The life support, structural integrity field, weapons, shields, engines… The warp core containment field, too, and without the main computer or comms, they wouldn’t find out before it was too late.

Jovenan: Do you have any idea caused this? Did you spot any other vessels near us?

Kawarda: Response

Jovenan: A beacon? I had not heard of anything of the sort. We’re looking for a Maquis Raider, maybe some other ships it could have rendezvoused with, but not a distress beacon. I was asked to the bridge to assist with… Azure Nebula, scanning it, I think. I don’t see the connection.

Kawarda: Response

She stopped to think. Things had changed. If they couldn’t contact the bridge, the bridge was probably blind as well. She looked at the Vulcan ensign. It had not been but a matter of chance that she was the senior officer and not him. He had a different, more logical way of thinking than her. The two were equal in rank, but he was most likely smarter and stronger than her, better under stress and less vulnerable to anxiety. He was CSO material. But she was the one who had been put in charge of this task. They were equal, but she was the first among equals. It was her duty to get things done, her duty to know better.

Jovenan: No. I won’t be of any use on the bridge if the systems are falling down. In these changed circumstances it’s more important to get as much of the astrometric scan done before we lose the sensors too. The bridge might be blind. Since the comms are down, we might need to deliver the result by hand, but not before we’re done. We might come up a way to communicate with the bridge, but for now let’s get back to the astrometrics and try to finish our job.

Kawarda: Response

TAG/TBC
----
Ensign Jovenan