Ens Hiro Jones - Who Says Doctors Don't Make House Calls Anymore?

notyourfrog

Jan 12, 2023, 1:43:07 PM1/12/23
to USS Excalibur-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((OOC - I chatted with Yalu to coordinate, and am appending to my previous sim to keep the plot moving and tie in the recent explosion.))

((Deck 7, Sickbay, USS Excalibur-A))

Hiro had just finished his speech/introduction/embarrassing-revelation-of-personal-discomfort-but-commitment-to-the-leadership-role and taken up his increasingly familiar seat when a crewman, Bajoran by the earring adorning his right ear.

Hamsan: Doctor Jones? We haven’t been introduced yet. I’m Crewman Hamsan Dwich, medical technician and ship’s chaplain.

Jones: Pleased to meet you, Mr. Hamsan. What can I do for you?

Hamsan: ::hands over PADD:: Since you’re in charge for the time being, I wanted to let you know I finished cataloguing the protein sequences in experiment 34-Alpha. There were a few surprises in this week’s group, but I think all my N-termini are correct.

Hiro took a moment to look over the data on the PADD. As expected, it was nothing short of meticulous. There was very little left to be done with the report.

Jones: Yeah, those seem to be in order. It looks like you're using organeller proteomics to determine the cellular signal transduction pathways. That's a bit of an odd choice. Why not use the T'Pau method? It would probably be more efficient.

Hamsan: Yeah, well, to be honest, I was never super comfortable with lab work. My training is in emergency medicine. You might say I’m at my best when the yellow alerts become red ones. I was on duty alone in sickbay when Resolution, my last ship, was ordered to be abandoned. Every day since has seemed easy by comparison.

Jones: The Resolution, huh? Well it seems the Prophets favored you that day. I read the report of her destruction. You were fortunate to get out in time.

Hamsan: Response

Jones: You said you're the ships Chaplain as well as a med-tech? That's an interesting combination. ::with a sidelong glance:: Not that can really talk. I started out as a counselor. I guess you could say it's almost as if I'm living my second life now.

Hiro was a little surprised at this moment of transparency with someone he'd just met, but something about Dwitch felt kin to Hiro. He couldn't put his finger on exactly what it was, but there was something in those blue-gray eyes that spoke of some intangible yet familiar experience.

Hamsan: Response

Hiro was about to respond to this when his comm chirped and the Commodore's voice - tense with urgency - came through:

Nicholotti: =/\= Medical emergency, cargo bay one! =/\=

Jones: ::tapping the badge:: =/\= On our way, sir! =/\=

Hiro leapt from his seat as he spoke, looked at Hamsan while grabbing a tricorder and medkit.

Jones: Dwich, you're with me.

Hamsan: Response

They ran full-pelt toward the turbolift that would take them to cargo bay one, but when Hiro pressed the panel, the only response was an error buzz.

Jones: Well that's not good. =/\= Computer, is anyone in cargo bay one? =/\=

Computer: =/\= Negative. There are no life signs in Cargo Bay One. =/\=

Jones: oO "No life signs." That could be good or really bad. Oo =/\= Computer, what is the status of this turbolift? =/\=

Computer: =/\= Turbolift 2 is currently inoperable. The lift is stationary between decks 13 and 14. =/\=

Jones: =/\= And are there life signs on the turbolift? =/\=

Computer: =/\= Affirmative. There are three life signs on the turbolift: one Betazoid, one Rekarian, and one Human. =/\=

Jones: Thank God for small favors. ::to Hamsan:: How are you with enclosed spaces?

Hamsan: Response

Jones: We've got to head toward cargo bay one anyway, but my guess is the three in the turbolift were on their way there. They're about six and-a-half decks down. Want to check out the Jefferies Tubes?

Hamsan: Response

The access hatch was near the turbolift to make maintenance simpler. Hiro figured if he and Hamsan could make their way down six decks, they could access the stuck turbolift via the hatch in the ceiling.

Opening the entrance to the maintenance tunnels was similar to prying open the mouth of a really big worm though in Hiro's mind. He didn't have claustrophobia per se, but that didn't mean he relished the thought of being swallowed by this usually-unseen beast winding its way through the entirety of the ship.

Jones: ::trying to take his mind off the lactic acid building in his legs after 4 decks-worth of ladders:: So, Hamsan, what do you do in your off hours?

Hamsan: Response

Jones: Oh nice! Dr. Adea and I just played a fantasy/adventure holonovel! Maybe you can join us next time?

Hamsan: Response

Finally, they reached the access marked DECK 13. Hiro entered his access code, unlocking the aperture. There, a couple feet below, was the top of the stalled turbolift. He gingerly stepped out onto the smooth surface, turned the manual release, and poked his head through.

Jones: Anybody call a doctor?

Adea/Kijana/Romjin: Response

TAG/TBC

Ensign Hiro Jones, MD
USS Excalibur-A, Medical
E239510KD0
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one." - Marcus Aurelius