Cmdr. Karrod Niac - Mignardises Et Trill

Karrod Niac

May 16, 2022, 8:02:31 PM5/16/22
to USS Excalibur-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG
(('Bistro Manev,' Holodeck 2, Deck 6, USS Excalibur))

Niac:  A lifetime ago I made a choice, Addison.  A choice between the career I thought I wanted and a life I could've had.  In doing so, I gave away something...precious.  I didn't realize it at first but as the years wore on me like wind on stone, it dawned on me.

MacKenzie: What came of it?

Niac:  By then?  By then it was too late.  And I looked at the life I'd lead and I realized that I'd mistaken loneliness for independence.  Years of solitude, sacrificed on the altar of duty and responsibility, began to look...empty.  Like the apartment I'd had in San Francisco.  I've never told anyone this...I've barely admitted it to myself.  But it's one of the reasons I accepted the Joining.  I was tired of being alone.  And even with all these other minds sharing my skull...I still felt that absence.  Until I met you.

MacKenzie: …me?

Niac:  I know we live dangerous lives, Addison.  Niac's history is a chronicle of misfortune and stories which end much sooner than they should.  Maybe that's why I think it's important that you understand how I feel.  Because I may be a damn fool but I'm not going to make the same mistake twice.

Her expression softed as she pressed her back in the rear of her chair.

MacKenzie: Karrod, I think that’s incredible sweet and I am certainly flattered. I’ve most certainly enjoyed our time here together, but I can’t commit to anything like this for a whole host of reasons.

Karrod hid his disappointment behind a small laugh at the turn of phrase.  His smile was genuine but it was tinged with age and a bit of sadness.

MacKenzie: First of all, I can’t trust myself to be able to make rational life-or-death decisions if someone I cared for was serving under me. Second of all, while I trust Commodore Nicholotti and Commander Adea, two of the three senior-most members of the ship’s staff dating each another is problematic on its own face. Third of all, I may not be staying here much longer.

The first two reasons were entirely understandable and quite rational, ones he'd considered and prepared himself for.  The third took him aback and he leaned back in his chair, slightly dazed.  Trying to compose himself he formed as cogent a question as he could.

Niac:  May I ask...?

Addison paused then opened her arms, leaning in slightly as if revealing a secret.  Karrod withdrew his solitary hand from the table and listened intently.

MacKenzie: I don’t want to be presumptuous, but there are rumors that the head of Starfleet Medical has me on a short-list of people to fill their Chief of Surgery vacancy.

Karrod's eyebrows raced for his hairline in surprise.  The Chief of Surgery was a premiere position in the Starfleet Medical Corps and was usually occupied by senior officers with enough brass on their collar to supply a good sized marching band.  For them to be considering Addison meant her skill had to be just as exceptional as the woman herself.  On reflection, Karrod found he wasn't surprised at all.

Niac: That's an incredible opportunity, Addison, and it's quite the accomplishment to even be considered.  But, and I'm asking this as someone who has spent a fair amount of time at Starfleet Command...is that what you want?

She considered the question with a slight inclination of the head, as if weighing the pros and cons internally.  Karrod wondered if he was the first person she'd actually told of this.

MacKenzie: I’m certainly not opposed – it would get me back in the operating theatre while still letting me serve Starfleet. Some career stability, if you ask me.

Karrod nodded in understanding.  There had been a time that had seemed like exactly what he'd needed.  He could hardly begrudge Addison for making the same choice for herself.

Niac: For what it's worth, I get it...I truly do.  But I'd be lying if I said I wasn't disappointed.  ::Karrod stood and walked to the sideboard, retrieving a bottle and two small glasses and returning to the table.::  But like they say, 'nothing ventured, nothing gained.'

Karrod opened the bottle and poured two small drams of port, then delicately slid the dessert wine across the table to Addison.

Niac:  I'm happy for you, Addison.  If this is what you want then I'll toast to your success.  And the general health of Starfleet.

MacKenzie: Well, I think you’re forgetting the most important thing – good friends are hard to come by in this profession, let alone in this corner of the galaxy. I know we’ve only served together a short time, but I respect the hell out of you.

Karrod nodded in appreciation and raised his glass.

Niac: And I you, Addison.  I'm not some love besotted teenager pining away with a broken heart...I knew there was every chance things wouldn't work out quite the way I'd like them to.  I've got too much experience to imagine otherwise.  Still though, to learn that a friend...a good friend...could be climbing into the rarefied air in the near future?  To know that I had their respect?  Well, that's something worth celebration in my book.

MacKenzie:  Response

Karrod clinked his glass with hers and savored the sweet sharp taste of the wine.  It, like everything else Rostil had helped him prepared, went perfectly with the final course of the meal.  There wasn't a hint of bitterness on his palette.

Niac:  Now before you run off and save the quadrant one complicated medical procedure at a time, would you walk with me?  I never spent that much time in this portion of the capital...::Karrod nodded out the window::...and I'm told it's lovely.

MacKenzie:  Response

Karrod stood and offered a companionable arm.

Niac:  Well then, perhaps I can give you a few suggestions for San Francisco.  There's this lovely little pastry shop on Mission Hill....

They walked out of the tiny bistro together and into the warm night air, the scent of flowers perfuming the breeze as the waters lapped gently against the canals.  They spoke and joked, laughed and wandered, and when the night was done they parted amicably, each returning to their quarters with a smile.  When the doors closed behind him and he was finally as alone as he ever was, Niac gently offered a small measure of sympathy and Karrod, for the first time, thanked whatever strange fate had brought the two of them together.

Tags/End for Karrod!

Commander Karrod Niac
Chief of Operations
USS Excalibur - NCC-41903-A