Lt Seta Jinean and Ens Hiro Jones - (JP) Walkie Talkie pt 1

notyourfrog

Feb 14, 2023, 12:14:14 PM2/14/23
to USS Excalibur-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Deck 7 Corridor, USS Excalibur-A))

Hiro had finished up his last shift before shore leave, and was about to head back to his quarters before figuring out what to do for dinner, when the door to the counseling suite caught his eye. He’d had a really nice talk with Seta just a few days before, and knew he really ought to schedule a time where he would be the one spilling their guts. He tapped his comm badge as he walked past the door. He figured her comms would be set to emergency-only if she was in a session, but the door was less-likely to be silenced. oO I’m not running away, I’m … being considerate. Oo

Jones: =/\= Jones to Seta =/\=

Seta: =/\= Seta here. =/\=

And Hiro had caught her at a convenient point of time. She had retired to her quarters for a few extra hours to dedicate some quality time to the Prophets - and her cat Reama.

Jones: =/\= Oh! Hey! Sorry, I thought maybe you were in a session. I didn’t honestly expect you to answer. =/\=

She smirked.

Seta: =/\= You called me and hoped I wouldn’t answer? That sounds interesting. =/\=

Jones: =/\= Right. Sorry. I … uh … well I wondered if you had some time to talk. I feel I owe you at least as much honesty as you trusted me with. =/\=

Seta: =/\= You don’t owe me anything. ::pause:: But I do have time. I can make time. Can you do 1500 hours this afternoon? Counseling suite as usual? =/\=

Jones; =/\= Yeah, I can do that, unless you’d like to maybe take a walk? Holodeck 3? Might be nice to get out of your office for a bit. =/\=

Seta: =/\= That’s a great idea. I’ll see you then. =/\=

Jones: =/\= Great! See you then. =/\=

Jinean cut the comms and looked over at Reama.

Seta: Don’t look at me like that. I can hardly tell him I have no time to do my job because I want to spend it with my cat.

The feline meowed its disapproval and Jinean sighed, but straightened her uniform and left. She’d bribe her later by replicating something tasty.

((Timeskip, 1500 hours, Holodeck 3))

Waiting for Hiro to arrive, Jinean tried to look as inconspicuous as possible as she stood in the corridor. Certain people - ahem, certain engineers - had the tendency to randomly stop her and ask her for counseling advice, and giving said advice in a hallway was usually not the most professional setting.

Hiro walked up to Seta just as his chronometer bleeped, giving him the alarm tone he’d programmed. He saw the counselor - his new friend (?) waiting in front of the holodeck door, trying to blend into the wall.

Jones: Afternoon! Thank you for meeting me here. I get awkward talking about my past if I’m sitting still.

Seta: Hey. Very punctual. ::she smiled:: So what did you have in mind? A walk?

Jinean liked holodecks, and she knew how to walk. That meant she was already well prepared for whatever Hiro had planned.

Jones: Yep!

And with that, he tapped the display next to the door, activating “JONES PARK 1.” When the doors hummed open, he gestured for her to enter.

Jones: Welcome to Peterson Park.

The scene was perfect as far as Hiro was concerned. Peterson Park was a classic Chicago haunt. Though not as big as Lincoln Park, Hiro found it to be more … park-ish. There were babbling brooks, plenty of open green spaces, paved paths winding throughout, and a community of park regulars that gave Peterson a pulse and spirit wholly unique. This had been where Hiro would go to think while back home, and as such was the first holodeck program he’d made when he learned his ship would have a recreational holodeck.

As they walked a few steps further in, the exit arch vanished behind them, enveloping the pair in the sights, sounds, and smells of an urban park in mid-spring. Hiro closed his eyes, taking a breath of the familiar air, then turned smiling to Seta.

Jones: What do you think?

Seta: It’s… interesting.

Bajoran culture and architecture was focussed on living in harmony with their surroundings rather than fitting them into a neat little park. The vast forests and thousands of little ponds that dotted the landscapes had been some of the many things that had attracted the Cardassians to Bajor.

Jones: Well, in the real Chicago, my parents’ house is ::taking a moment to orient himself:: that way.

He pointed South-East. His parents lived just a few blocks from historic Wrigley Field, and as such, there were several parks closer, but Hiro always appreciated having to go through the city to find refuge in nature.

Jones: There are tons of paths here. Shall we take this one? It wraps around the lake, then through a wooded area where there’s a really lovely cascade. It’s small, but the sounds there … well, you’ll see.

Seta: Let’s do that. ::she smiled, letting him lead the way::

Jinean had to admit that she liked what she was seeing. She had never visited Earth, let alone Chicago, and aside ‘cats’ she didn’t really know any kind of Terran animals either.

There were some sort of fat, striped insects buzzing around the flowerbeds, and one momentarily landed on Hiro. The golden-black color was rather beautiful, and the little creature, now that Jinean could inspect it more closely, wasn’t fat. Just fluffy.

Jones: ::noticing her attention:: That’s called a bumblebee.

Seta: Bumblebee. ::she repeated:: Seems fitting.

Jones: If you ever get the chance to see one that isn’t a hologram, don’t get too close. They have a stinger for a last line of self defense that while not lethal, is not a pleasant addition to your afternoon.

TBC

Lt. Seta Jinean
Counselor
Excalibur-A