Ens Hiro Jones - Click Trip Boom

notyourfrog

Feb 15, 2023, 10:42:36 AM2/15/23
to USS Excalibur-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Holodeck 3, Deck 222, Deep Space 224))

Jovenan: Trifluoronitrosomethane! It’s highly toxic, slightly flammable!

Adea: All the more reason to get on it, ensigns!

Jones: Got it!

Yalu: Response?

Jovenan: ::moving to the workstation, taking over for Hiro:: I’ll try to get the shield or ventilation up! The patients need you more, Doctor!

Adea: Jones! Check in there, see if anyone needs assistance! Then give me a hand with this.

Jones: Aye, sir. Jovenan, I got the shield up. If you can get it vented, that'll buy us time.

Jovenan: I’ll try that.

Yalu: Response?

Hiro dashed to the CMO's office, finding the officer wounded and unconscious. After a quick assessment of injuries, he draped the Kelpian over his shoulders, and walked back into the main area.

Adea: ::quietly:: So you going to give us a hand, or are you just going to stand there?

Re-entering the space, Hiro saw that Jovenan had opted to undo the compression caused by the containment field by giving the gas to  an adjoining room. It was a good solution in their situation, and realizing that particular issue was as solved as it needed to be, he turned to the room at large - still far too full of wounded.

Jones: How are we looking? We've got about 90 seconds left in here, or we won't have time to get off the ship.

Adea/Yalu: Response

Jovenan, now finished at the workstation, had moved to one of the wounded, and was now soothing her.

Jovenan: ::to patient:: I’ll help you.

Jones: We've got to go. Now.

There were still a few patients on the biobeds. The thought of leaving anyone to die broke Hiro's heart, but in a crisis situation, one had to do the math. A few die or they all do. Gesturing with his head to get the attention of the more alert patients, Hiro called out to the room at large.

Jones: If you've got a broken arm, minor head wound, or any other injury that I'm sure hurts, but is not life threatening, you need to get up and move now. We can treat you once we're off the ship.

Groans and soft whimpers were the response, but Hiro saw those who could get up and head for the door. They were cutting this far too close.

Jones: ::to the non-holographic people:: We need to go now. There's nothing else we can do.

Adea/Yalu: Response?

Jovenan had the arm of the patient she'd been helping draped over her. It looked like she was almost as weighed down as Hiro was under the Kelpian CMO. Her steps were quick and deliberate, but they grew more unsteady as the escape pod hatch came into sight.

Jovenan: ::to herself and patient:: Just ::breathing hard:: a little more…

Jones: ::from behind Jovenan:: You've got this, Jo.

Adea/Yalu: Response

Hiro was not prepared for the stumble. When Jovenan's knees hit the decking, he didn't have time to stop. The momentum of his own weight plus that of the still unconscious Kelpian drove him right into the mass that was Jovenan and her patient.

The holographic CMO went sprawling on the far side of the pile of bodies, coming to a stop less than a meter from the hatch. Hiro looked to Genkos, changing tack.

Jones: Doc, pull him into the pod and get the sequence started.

Not waiting for a response, he pushed himself up, muscles screaming for rest, and grabbed Jovenan under the arm. The priority was getting her into the pod. If there was time, he could come back for the patient.

Computer: =/\= Hull breach imminent =/\=

Hiro swore under his breath as he and Jovenan tumbled through the hatch. As the door sealed behind them automatically, he looked through the viewport at the stricken face of the woman so close to safety, yet terminally out of reach. He mouthed the words, "I'm sorry," even as the pod released its moorings and thrusters engaged. He couldn't look away from those eyes until the blinding explosion forced his eyes closed.

A moment passed before he looked back to the other officers in the pod with him. Hiro had no idea what a "pass" exercise was, but this surely didn't feel like a win.

Adea/Jovenan/Yalu: Response

Tag/TBC

Ensign Hiro Jones, MD
USS Excalibur-A, Medical
E239510KD0
"Waste no more time arguing about what a good man should be. Be one." - Marcus Aurelius