Cmdr. Addison MacKenzie, Cmdr. Geoffrey Teller, & Others - Certfied Preowned - Part 1

Addison MacKenzie

Feb 15, 2023, 5:04:00 PM2/15/23
to sb118-e...@googlegroups.com

(( Docking Ring, Deep Space 224 ))

It was a day that seemed both years and only hours in the making. From the moment she’d received word that she’d be taking command of the Artemis, it was a whirlwind of PADDwork, access codes, meetings, personnel issues, equipment requisitions, and everything else one could think of when it came to getting a new ship spaceworthy. But as Addison slowly walked through 224’s Docking Ring with her hands clasped behind her back, she couldn’t help but smile as the Luna-class Artemis came into view.

She received word that the ship would be arriving this afternoon and she would be responsible for assuming command and overseeing the personnel transfers upon arrival. As it turned out, she made it to the docking ring just in time to see the ship slow to a stop and connect with the station.

…she may have been loitering around the docking ring to make sure she got to see the new ship come in - Captain’s prerogative.

She headed to the airlock door, eagerly waiting for the seal to lock into place so she could get to work. When the door opened, her jaw nearly hit the floor at the site of one Geoffrey John Teller - one of her oldest friends, comrades, and favorite troublemakers.

MacKenzie: You.

(( Somewhere between Deck 11 and 12, Section 22 Aft, En Route to DS224, USS Artemis ))

Even for a man who had gone on vacation and promptly fallen out of time for a year, the last several weeks had been among the most unusual and fulfilling of Cmdr. Geoffrey Teller’s life.  He’d arrived at Starfleet Command, as unsure of his future as he ever had been, when after days of debriefings and mandatory physicals and counseling sessions, he’d been called before an entire panel of Admirals he’d never met.  The room had the tone of an inquisition, with his entire career slowly dissected and examined, as he was given a variety of odd engineering puzzles to solve on the fly or components to diagnose from a seemingly never ending stream paraded into the conference chambers.  It had seemed torturous at the time but it slowly dawned on Geoff that he wasn’t being interrogated and he wasn’t being punished.

He was being interviewed.  By the oversight board of the Starfleet Corp of Engineers.  And he’d nailed it.  His new position had opened up a world of possibilities for Geoff but shortly after going on duty, he’d volunteered for virtually the first assignment in the queue.  Which, oddly, led him to be upside down inside a jefferies tube, not entirely certain if he was in the right junction, with a flux coupler held between his teeth and sweat running into his eyes.

He’d learned that one of his most cherished colleagues and closest friends had navigated the murky waters of senior leadership and been granted, however belatedly, a command of her own.  The USS Artemis, now en-route to its new commander, Geoff had spent the last two weeks crawling through every centimeter of the ship, replacing components he found unsatisfactory and tuning others to maximize their performance anywhere he could.   He intended to personally make sure that every bolt was tightened and every rattle eliminated before Addison MacKenzie took command if he had to hand polish them all himself.  He pulled the coupler from his teeth and applied it to the ODN junction and was rewarded with a gentle whir as the network cabling glowed warmly.

Wierzbowski: =/\= Bridge to Commander Teller, you asked to be informed when we arrived at DS224. =/\=

Geoff pulled himself into a crouch in the jefferies tube and tapped his comm badge.

Teller: =/\= This is Teller, acknowledged.  How long till we dock? =/\=

Wierzbowski: =/\= About three minutes, sir.  You’ll want Airlock 3, port side. =/\=

Geoff nodded to the air and began packing away his tools.  He had someone he intended to meet.

Teller:  =/\= Understood, I’ll make my way there now.  Teller out. =/\=

Geoff tucked a few tools into the pocket of his engineering vest and began crawling his way back towards a service hatch.

(( Airlock 3, USS Artemis ))

When the door to DS224 slid open silently, Geoff Teller realized he’d forgotten something important.  A holoimager to capture the absolutely priceless look on Addy’s face.  That alone made the entire trip worthwhile.  What came next would only make it better.  Geoff came to attention with a broad smirk and did his best to echo the sharp, clipped tones of the most severe officers he’d ever served with.  He tapped a padd, bringing up the official orders.

Teller: Are you Commander Addison MacKenzie, M.D., Ph.D., FASFS, formerly executive officer of the USS Excalibur A?

Addison pursed her lips, wondering what fresh level of hell she happened to be in.

MacKenzie: Former. Executive. Excalibur.

Geoff’s smirk widened but he kept his tone strictly formal.

Teller:  Well then, with your identity confirmed I can now read you this.  ::He loudly cleared his throat and held out the padd::  A-hem…From Starfleet Command…To Commander Addison Mac…eh I’ll just skip ahead a bit, this is all very bland…in light of your years…blah blah…exemplary service…blah blah…credit to the uniform…blah blah…oh right here we go…you are hereby requested and required to take command of the USS Artemis, NCC-81287 on stardate…whatever day this is…signed Admrial somebody or another.  ::Geoff tapped his comm badge::  =/\= Computer, Transfer All Command Codes to Commander Addison MacKenize, authorization Teller Lamda Nu Two One Gamma. =/\=

Computer: =/\= Transfer complete.  Commanding officer of the USS Artemis is now Commander Addison Mackenzie, M.D., Ph.D., FASFS. =/\=

Geoff snorted, he’d updated the messaging protocol to include all of Addison’s numerous medical titles and degrees.  It was one of several small gifts and surprises he’d taken the time to include around the ship.  Geoff extended his hand and, for once, his expression was completely serious.

Teller:  Congratulations, Captain MacKenzie.  Welcome to the Artemis.

MacKenzie: It’s a pleasure, Commander Teller.

Teller:  Well, now that we’ve dispensed with the formalities…want the grand tour?  I’ve checked every compartment…ceilings in all of them this time.

MacKenzie: A far cry from that one mess…

(( Begin Flashback ))

(( SD 239609.28 - Cargo Bay 1, USS Diligent ))

MacKenzie walked through the doors to the cargo bay having looked like she had been on her own in the wilderness for several days – her normally tight ponytail was hanging messily off to the side of her face, the sleeve of her uniform was torn and …was that dirt on her face.

Definitely.

She had spent the great majority of the day crawling around Deck 5 with the few engineers she could scrounge up trying to get as much of the medical equipment online as possible. They’d made little progress – most of the larger equipment like the biobeds were here, they just weren’t connected to anything yet. Most of the smaller things like medical tricorders, hyposprays and surgical tools were either in a crate somewhere, or they hadn’t been brought up from the surface yet. None of the displays in the comparably small Sickbay were functional.

Addison was no engineer, and if this venture didn’t prove that, she wasn’t sure what would. Before she left the Veritas, Addison was excited about the prospect of getting this new ship off the ground. Now that she’d been in the trenches for a few days, she couldn’t help but replay her last conversation with Captain Rahman and wonder if she wasn’t being punished. As she made her way into the cargo bay, she looked at the bunch of cots and privacy screens.

She was definitely being punished.

After dinner and a series of Shanties led by Commander Teller, Commander Delano summoned the staff for a short briefing before it was time to turn in.

Delano: Before we start heading to our cots, I wanted to get assessments from all of you as to where your individual projects are at.

MacKenzie: oO Where, indeed… Oo

[…]

Delano: Last but not least, how’s the sickbay looking? I know we’re still waiting on the last components for the ceiling.

MacKenzie: And here, I thought Commander Teller was joking when he said we didn’t have a ceiling. … That being said, progress is slow, but on its way. We should be able to get some of the displays and a biobed up and running tomorrow.

Delano: Just in case, do you have enough supplies to handle a serious injury here, or should we work out a plan to get someone to a surface hospital?

MacKenzie: Commander, the fact that we have no ceiling still can lead you to the state of the rest of the facility. I’ve already been in touch with the local hospital who helped us during the fire at the apartment complex. If anything happens up here, they’ll be ready for us. Given the state of the rest of the ship, I think getting the medical facilities stocked and functional just in case anything should happen…

Delano: I understand. I’ll make it a priority. In the meantime, I think the EMH has been installed, but Terna said they were having some problems with it. If you feel like testing it out tomorrow, I’d be interested to hear your report.

MacKenzie: I’d love a sparring partner.

Delano: Alright. (Raising his voice to address the whole room) The head off of the bridge is fully operational, so head there if you need it. And I’ve been assured that the sonic showers on Deck 2 are working as long as you don’t mind it being a bit cold.

Delano: That’s it, then. Thanks, everyone. Let’s do our best to get a good night’s sleep. I’ll see about getting us some breakfast together by 0700. Dismissed.

As most of the crew retreated to their cots, Addison decided there was nothing that seemed more appealing at the moment than a cold shower.

MacKenzie: ::muttering/whispering to herself:: And on the third day, they asked the Lord for heaters in the showers…

(( End Flashback ))

MacKenzie: You lead the way. While we walk, you can tell me what the hell you’re doing here.

TBC…

---

Commander Addison MacKenzie, M.D., Ph.D., FASFS

Commanding Officer

USS Artemis-A

Captains Council Magistrate

V239601AM0