Cmdr. Karrod Niac - Pièce De Résistance

Karrod Niac

May 9, 2022, 1:05:12 AM5/9/22
to USS Excalibur-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG
(('Bistro Manev,' Holodeck 2, Deck 6, USS Excalibur))

MacKenzie: Well, if it’s a choice between mystery dessert and ::pointing:: that, I suppose the choice has already been made for me, no?

Karrod smirked at what he hoped was playful banter although Addison's wit was razor sharp.  Even now he could feel himself being precisely poked and prodded, a likely holdover from her medical career.  Karrod dumped the still smoldering meal into the nearby sink and wiped his hands, leaving sooty marks on the dishcloth he'd grabbed.  The smell of burnt bunnicorn was fully ensconced in his nostrils.

MacKenzie: A joke. (beat) I suppose. …what are we having? And it wasn’t also in that oven, I hope…

Karrod glanced back at the offending oven and sighed in surrender.

Niac:  I think Rostil took mercy on me for this one...although I can sense some regret about that now.  Apparently I'll never work as a Chef on Trill if he has anything to say about it.  Which, thankfully, he doesn't.  Desert needed to chill so it's in the freezer over there.  Head on back to the table and I'll get it all ready.

MacKenzie: Well, then I suppose things are looking up, aren’t they? Bring on said dessert.

Addison returned to the dining room as Karrod opened the small chiller unit and removed the delicate meringue nests that made up the base of the Risian Pavlova intended as the dinner's final surprise.  He had made six in total, each around 10cm across and with a small depression in the middle where he added a generous dollop of freshly made heavy cream.  When he was done, and Rostil was talking to him again, he carefully arranged several small pieces of fresh fruit that he'd artfully crafted to look like flower blossoms.  Bajoran jumja complimented Terran strawberries alongside Dosi tulaberries, astonishingly found hiding in a specialty import/export business on DS224 in a stasis chamber.  Completed, the serving platter looked like a bouquet as much as a desert and Karrod found himself again in Rostil's debt, entirely certain he could never have achieved such an effect on his own.

Karrod stepped from the kitchen and gingerly placed the serving plate on the sideboard, taking away their soup bowls and straightening the table somewhat after his hasty departure.  His knee was throbbing but at the moment he felt nearly as airy as the pastries.  When he finally placed the dish in front of Addison he had the pleasure of watching the woman's eyes light up in surprise.

MacKenzie: Alright, chef. Explain the dish.

Karrod sat, somewhat more heavily then he had planned, and rubbed his knee under the table.  He was suddenly glad this restaurant didn't have a dancefloor.  Before the moment stretched any further he nodded towards the confections before them.

Niac:  I'm not sure if you've ever been to Risa but as it turns out, Rostil visited frequently.  ::At Addison's questioning look Karrod chuckled.::  No, not for that.  Well, not only for that.  ::Karrod blushed slightly and cleared his throat:: As it turns out that Risian pursuit of pleasure in everything extends to the culinary arts and Rostil found a few masters who were willing to share their secrets.  The shell is a delicate meringue with hints of vanilla and lemon and each is filled with heavy cream and topped with fresh fruit.  The bold flavors of the fruit are balanced by the cream and Rostil describes the entire effect in somewhat...::Karrod blushed more deeply and shook away the image Niac popped into his mind.::...suffice it to say these were a personal favorite of his.

MacKenzie:  Response

Karrod sat back and enjoyed the moment as Addison picked out a pastry and moved it to her plate.  After the sudden excitement and subsequent embarrassment in the kitchen he was glad to be able to relax once again.  Beyond the windows the Trill sun had set entirely and the city lights had begun coming on, reflecting like thousands of stars on the canals outside.  The effect was engrossing as it filled the dining room with a dim, ethereal glow.  Before he fell any further into Addison's eyes he clumsily moved a pastry onto his own plate and took an oversized chunk out with his fork, barely tasting it.  When the moment had passed he looked across the table again.

Niac:  May I ask you a personal question, Addison?

Karrod waited patiently, trying to suppress a nervousness that felt oddly juvenile.

MacKenzie:  Response

Karrod tried to put into words what he'd been feeling ever since he'd come aboard the Excalibur and even before.  Before Niac.  A thought that had been on his mind in one form or another since he'd taken desk duty in San Francisco all those years ago.

Niac:  Have you ever doubted your choices, Addison?  And I don't mean 'do I get tea or coffee?' or 'do I go to the holodrama or the synth concert?'  I mean the big choices.  The ones that put those pips on your collar.  The ones that put you on the Bridge.

MacKenzie:  Response

Karrod listened intently, wondering if anyone else had ever bothered to ask her the same question.  Karrod took a sip of wine and found his glass nearly empty once again.  He placed it back on the table as the light glimmered on the glass.

Niac:  In that case, what did you do?

MacKenzie:  Response

Tags/TBC

Commander Karrod Niac