Cmdr. Karrod Niac - We Eat With Our Eyes

Karrod Niac

May 3, 2022, 1:13:48 AM5/3/22
to USS Excalibur-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG
(('Bistro Manev,' Holodeck 2, Deck 6, USS Excalibur))

Niac:  Welcome to Bistro Manev, Commander.  If you can find your own way to the table I'll be out with starters in just a minute.

MacKenzie: I’m sure I can find my way. ::she held up the wine, though Niac wasn’t around to see the gesture:: I brought a bottle of wine – the least I could do. I don’t suppose you replicated a corkscrew somewhere in the kitchen?

Niac: I appreciate the gesture.  There's glasses and a corkscrew in the sideboard behind you.

Addison looked to the side, found the equipment in question, and nodded to herself.

MacKenzie: Got it.

She removed two glasses and set them on the bar. She inserted the corkscrew, popped the cork, and filled the glasses until they were about half full. As soon as she finished with the wine, Karrod stepped out of the kitchen with two large plates.  He delicately placed them in the center of the table before fetching some smaller sideplates for each of them. Addison set the glasses down and took her seat as he finished bringing out the plates for this course.

Niac: Like I said, I hope you're hungry.  Even then...we might be here for a while.  I let Rostil indulge himself and I think he decided to make enough food to serve half the ship.

MacKenzie: Half the ship? I have a figure to maintain, Commander…

Karrod suppressed a smirk of his own as he gingerly served three of the delicate hors d'oeuvres, plating them as Rostil instructed.  Spaced symmetrically and in size order from smallest to largest for his guest, Karrod completed the effect by drizzling a small bit of seasoning across the plate.  The subtle, fragrant spice was from an Andorian plant called xixu that Karrod had tracked down at a specialty shop on 224.  According to Rostil, it would give the early portion of the meal a suitably earthy aroma.  Karrod repeated the plating process for himself and, shrugging off his apron, sat across the table.

Niac:  I believe the expression on Earth is 'Bon Appétit,' although I do find the Trill expression amusingly ironic.  'Our meal is joined.'

Karrod gestured towards the starters and realized just how hungry he'd gotten while cooking.  Suddenly he wasn't worried about leftovers.  Addison looked down, examining the delicacies with just the hint of upturned lips.  Karrod had to keep himself from staring as the shimmering light from the canal played across her face.

MacKenzie: So, what do we have in front of us?

Grateful for something cogent to say, Karrod cleared his throat.  Rostil had drilled him on these details extensively.

Niac:  The smallest one is a variation on an old Trill recipe called 'Lestann.'  Sauteed vegetables wrapped in Tellurian prosciutto, enclosed in a flakey pastry shell with just a hint of a spiced butter glaze.  The center morsel is a herb encrusted Antedian seafood crepe and last but not least is an Acamarian vegetable called parthas, lightly salted and blanched so they're melt in your mouth soft.  ::Karrod could feel Rostil speaking through him with practiced confidence.:: The flavors are complimentary and should pair well with the wine you've brought.  Speaking of, Rostil is still incensed that I wouldn't hire a sommelier but that seemed like over doing it.  I hope you enjoy all the same.

Karrod held his breath as Addison took her first tentative bites and only relaxed when he saw her smiling in appreciation.  While he possessed all of Rostil's memories and experiences he hadn't quite believed some of the more grandiose claims about his culinary achievements.  Thankfully it seemed they weren't empty boasting.

MacKenzie: It’s quite good. Is this out of Rostil’s playbook?

Karrod nodded and took a small sip of the rich red wine.

Niac: Yep, some of his personal favorites.  This was his restaurant ::Karrod gestured around them:: and he claims it was the 'spot' on Trill for several years.  ::Karrod chuckled and took a bite of his meal, savoring the taste::  I'm starting to believe him.

The moment passed amicably as they both enjoyed the finery of it all.  An indulgent meal in a relaxing setting with engaging company was a rare treat for Karrod and, he suspected, for Addison as well.

MacKenzie: Well, should this set the tone for the rest of the meal, then I think you should consider it a success.

Karrod held up his hands in a placating gesture.

Niac: Don't jump to conclusions just yet, we've still got two courses and a desert for me to have made a mess of.  Speaking of, I need to check on the soufflé.  If you'd excuse me for just a moment, Comm...err, may I call you Addison?

MacKenzie:  Response

Karrod stood and nodded gratefully.

Niac:  Then I'll be back in just a minute, Addison.  Would you mind telling me about the wine you brought while I'm trying not to incinerate anything in the kitchen?

MacKenzie:  Response

Karrod listened intently as he went back through the archway and into the open kitchen, Addison's voice carrying easily.  The delicate soufflé were rising perfectly and would be ready just in time for their main course, just as Rostil had hoped.  The delicate glazed soup tureen, which Karrod had been amazed to discover hiding in the replicator database, waited for the simmering mixture he'd spent the better part of an hour working on.  Carefully transferring their next course into its proper place Karrod felt an odd swell of pride from Niac.  Apparently Rostil was pleased with their shared efforts.  Karrod had to admit they made a surprisingly good team and patted his abdomen in friendly appreciation before returning to the dining room with their next course.

Niac:  For our next course we've got something from your that Rostil picked up on a trip to your homeworld, Addison.  It's a type of ratatouille, which is apparently a very fancy name for vegetable stew.  Unsurprisingly I had a hard time tracking down all the ingredients this far out so we made due with a few substitutions.  Instead of eggplant we've got some Bajoran katterpod root and we had to get creative with a few of the seasonings but Rostil assures me nothing in here will kill us.

MacKenzie:  Response

Karrod chuckled as he began ladling out the soup.

Niac:  Admittedly Rostil's track record on that one is a little bit spotty but he'd like to avoid a repeat of that somewhat embarrassing end.  Besides, if he kills me he knows he'll quite literally never hear the end of it.  It's the perfect motivation.

MacKenzie:  Response

Karrod sat and took a deep inhalation of the soups heady aroma.  Even as the one who'd made it he found it astonishing how well all the ingredients went together.  He wondered if this was how the composer of a piece of music felt when they heard it played by an orchestra for the first time, finally experiencing all the elements intertwining just so.  Karrod smiled as he searched for the soup spoon.

Niac:  Maybe I should ask the Commodore if she'd like a Chef instead of a Chief.  Probably better hours for one thing.

MacKenzie:  Response

Tags/TBC

Commander Karrod Niac
Chief of Operations