Ensign Jovenan – Crewmembers and emotions are out

Jovenan

Feb 2, 2023, 6:33:52 AM2/2/23
to USS Excalibur-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Shuttle Ector, Shuttlebay 2, USS Excalibur-A))

Jovenan: The bridge can still give us something to do if they need to, but otherwise I think things are turning back to normal for us.

The firefight, or whatever it had been, seemed to have ceased, and Ensign Kawarda was coming to help them out of the shuttle. Things seemed less and less threatening every minute.

Lante: Or as normal as one can be on the Excalibur Ma’am.

Jovenan: ::chuckle:: The bar isn’t very high, then.

She felt different afterwards. In mere hours, maybe even less, she would be in her own bed, sonic shower fresh and under warm blankets. She didn’t know how long it would take for Kawarda to get them out. There had been a chaos in the shuttlebay when the field had first started flickering, so the Flight Control might not indeed realise they were still here, but surely they were aware of the status of their shuttlebays. Even if the duty shift had changed while they were here, they’d inform their replacements, right?

The sound of knocking followed. Hearing somebody knock the shuttle door would in most circumstances be terrifying, but this time it was a welcome if unexpected indication of their saviour arriving.

Kawarda: Ensign Jovenan.

Jovenan: Kawarda? ::to Lante:: I guess we can open the shuttle door now.

The Crewman, clearly happy to finally be able to leave the cramped shuttle, reacted quickly.

Lante: I am on it Ma’am.

He pressed some controls, and soon the shuttle door opened. There was no shush noise that was typical when air pressure evened on both sides: The shuttlebay was compressed to the typical atmospheric pressure. Everything seemed to work just as usual, with no sign of the decompression ever occurring. Jovenan was mildly surprised. After all this, the ending was this easy?

The opening shuttle door eventually revealed the Vulcan figure standing behind it. If he had had any expression on his face, Jovenan believed Kawarda would be smiling at this moment.

Lante: Sir, it’s good to see you.

Kawarda: response

Jovenan stood up and left the shuttle to join the two men. Those two had saved her several times during this one day, and she didn’t know how to thank them properly.

Lante: Well Ma’am I believe you're in good hands now. Consider yourself evacuated.

Jovenan: Thank you, Lante! I hope I wasn’t too much of a burden for you.

Kawarda: Response?

Lante: Again Ma’am it was a pleasure to help you. ::Turning to the other Ensign.:: And thank you Sir. Now if you allow me I have to return to Security.

Jovenan: If I ever need rescuing, I’ll remember to call you!

Kawarda: Response?

The Crewman nodded to them, as a goodbye, and left. She hoped he had been sincere when saying he didn’t mind of everything that had happened. Things could have turned a lot worse, and she wouldn’t have been surprised if the Crewman had been nervous for a while, even if he masked it well. She then turned to Ensign Kawarda.

Jovenan: Thank you, too, Kawarda! It's so good to see you! It must have been difficult to restore the shuttlebay.

Kawarda: Response

Jovenan: Oh. Okay. Maybe the rest of the crew managed to get rid of the nanobots. I did send the bridge the method you had discovered, but as I said, I haven’t yet received confirmation if they got it, or if they had other means to decapasitate the bots.

Kawarda: Response

Now that she was truly out of danger and in company that she considered safe, her emotions resurfaced. The earlier relief dissipated, and the anxiety of the day came out in a stream. The others had managed to stop the nanobots and stop the attack, it seemed, yet she had not succeeded in her own mission, and she felt guilty for that.

Jovenan: ::distressed:: Everything seemed to happen so fast! The attack started so soon after I send the data, maybe they didn’t have the time to read it. If I had managed tell them what we knew, they could have prepared for what was about to happen. You and I, we worked so hard and took risks, but it seems we might not have made so much of a difference after all. If only I had been faster, I could have warned the bridge in time…

Kawarda: Response

TAG/TBC
----
Ensign Jovenan