Ensign Jovenan – Finally, a real Doctor

Jovenan

Nov 30, 2022, 10:01:00 AM11/30/22
to USS Excalibur-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Medical Lab, USS Excalibur-A))

Seta: ::to Jovenan:: Can we present our findings like this?

Jovenan: The program is still running. I, uh, only just turned it on.

Gott: So call him up! Tell him you've got the finest Ferengi louposites available at a surprisingly reasonable introductory rate and he can start...I don't know, spraying them around the ship for all I care.

Jovenan: Th – Thank you, Doctor. I’ll do that.

The Ferengi started heading for the door.

Gott: Fine then, you do whatever you want, I'm heading back to my office. The billable minutes on this are already going to put Mr. Eatens department budget into disarray for the entire quarter and I can't wait to get him the invoice. If you do end up needing more of my fantastic blood, you know where I'll be.

oO Do I actually know where he’ll be? Nevermind, better not bring that question up Oo

Jovenan: Thank you. I will.

Gott: Don't worry, you'll both get mentioned in my next book...maybe not by name, of course...but still...I like to shine a light on my assistants whenever it seems beneficial...to me. Nice to meet you Ensign and don't forget, if you need a counselor after all this is over, you've Gott an appointment. ::pause:: I've already added it to your calendar! See you soon!

oO Wait, I didn’t agree to anything! Oo

But it was too late to debate, as he had already left the room. She didn’t particularly want to visit this other counsellor, but she couldn’t just not go to an appointment that had been given to her. Surely that was forbidden and frowned upon even among the less law-abiding cultures such as humans or Ferengi.

Seta: Sorry Ensign, guess this is your fate now.

Jovenan: I – I’ll try to survive, Lieutenant.

Counsellor Seat nodded, tapping her badge.

Seta: =/\= Seta to Doctor Adea. =/\=

Wait, she said Seta, not Seat. Jovenan understood she had gotten her name wrong. Rather, Doctor Gott had said it wrong, presuming the lieutenant hadn’t mispronounced her own name incorrectly. No, it must have been the Ferengi doctor.

Adea: =/\= Come in =/\=

That was a voice Jovenan recognized. Commander Adea had been her final exam supervisor in the Academy. It was a relief to know all this would be given to someone she knew to be competent and capable.

Seta: =/\= My Ensign found a way to cleanse the crew of the virus we detected. ::she looked at Jovenan, who was now HER ensign:: =/\=

Jovenan expected Lieutenant Seta to explain the situation through the comm link, but instead, the door hissed yet again, and the caned figure entered the lab.

Adea: Fantastic. Tell me about it.

A high-ranking officer coming in caused Jovenan to stiff. She knew Adea beforehand, but it was not like they had become friends yet, during one holodeck exam during which the Commander evaluated her and rated her performance. Instead, she felt equally nervous as she had back then. Jovenan hoped lt. Seta would do the talking, but of course the counsellor had other ideas and pushed Jovenan in front of the Commander instead.

Jovenan: ::quietly:: Me? Okay. ::in normal voice:: Uhm… Commander, we’re studying the virus… or some other pathogen, we don’t actually know… that we believe caused the Ambassadors to… uh, fell ill. With the toxin, so poisoned…

She stopped for a moment and tried again.

Jovenan: Our working theory is that the pathogen is present in tacos produced by the replicator system. It only appears to target the ambassadors, but I have detected pathogens in my own blood stream, indicating we might all be exposed to it and carry it.

She showed the data she had gathered of her blood sample earlier.

Jovenan: We’re currently running a program to identify the mechanism through which the pathogen produced the toxin and how it released it only for select individuals. But I also tested Doctor Gott, the Ferengi counsellor. His blood had barely detectable traces of the pathogen, and when I introduced the pathogen to the sample, I witnessed this.

She pointed at the console with the data of the experiment.

Jovenan: The Ferengi leukocytes are particularly effective in destroying the pathogen.

Seta: Response

Adea: Amazing work Jovenan. ::he looked over at Seta:: The pair of you. Well, what do we do with it now?

Jovenan blushed mildly of the compliment. The question that followed made her uncertain. She had hoped the Doctor would take the lead from here.

Jovenan: In order to avoid further… incidents, or allow the pathogen to mutate, I think it is reasonable to try to purge all our systems of it. As I said, many of us might be carriers, and if we allow the pathogen to spread outside the ship, the risks increase significantly. I – I was hoping you could device a medication with this information, Commander.

Adea/Seta: Response

She turned to the console that had been running the experiment that exposed the holographic cells of targeted individuals to the virus.

Jovenan: The first results of the program are coming in soon. It should help us understand the virus… pathogen better. Maybe you could help us interpret it, Commander?

Adea/Seta: Response

TAG/TBC

----
Ensign Jovenan