Lieutenant (J.G.) Hallia Yellir - Reminiscent Feelings

Ryan Fender

Nov 22, 2021, 10:36:51 PM11/22/21
to sb118-e...@googlegroups.com

((Flashback — Time Index: 10 Years Ago.))

((Metropolitan District, Yelik))

P. Yellir: Hallia, just look at me, focus on my voice, give it everything you’ve got and I’ll catch you. ::looking at Rewn:: We’ll catch you.

Pilliya and Rewn were a whole rooftop across from Hallia, with a bustling street in broad daylight separating the pair from her. Mere inches from Hallia’s foot was the steep incline and just the ramp you needed for a running jump, but her body was refusing to take even another step. This was one of the few times they’d weaselled out of the lower levels of the city, narrowly dodging enforcer patrols and it was times like these when they were never up to any good.

Taking a deep breath, with a running start, Hallia slid down the steep rooftop, hearing the dragging of metal against her shoes right before there was that leap of faith. Soon enough, she was airborne, the air was sucked from her lungs as she rammed her eyelids shut until she could feel she was on solid ground again. But soon enough there was a dull thud and a reaffirming embrace from Pilliya against the corrugated, flattened building top.

Hallia could feel herself stammer as the adrenaline worked its way through her system, her body was twitchy and jittery from nothing but pure anxiety. Especially being one slip up from a broken arm or neck.

Yellir: Okay—Okay w-w-where to next?

R. Yellir: This way.

Pilliya steadied Hallia and gave a reaffirming smile to the younger sibling. There was a moment where Hallia’s body still didn’t want to move on its own, but after pushing through the paralysis of anxiety, she could feel herself working as correctly as she should. She followed the older two siblings, Rewn unmissable with one continuous wrap of bandages covering his torso and one of his shoulders, he wore a pair of baggy pants tucked into some worn boots that seemed a little too big for him. Pilliya on the other hand wore a makeshift cloak over one shoulder, some mid-thigh length shorts of once blue denim and a baggy top that fit like a sack.

Hallia wore a similar baggy top, brown material, with several patches to mend the holes. But she’d managed to cinch it with some rope she found in a gutter the other week.

The trio walked across the roof, eventually meeting a section of where the corrugated metal raised into a cone, and then that of a spire. Hallia could only wonder whether or not this was the place they were hitting, the coordinates to the Penthouse they were tipped off about. If done right and they avoided any attention from the enforcers, they could afford enough to feed everyone for a good month. This was supposedly the home of some rich inventor, with raw materials alone hitting the triple figures. As they got to the edge of the rooftop, Rewn gave the signal to stop and he laid himself flat on his stomach, his short head of hair poking over the edge of the rooftop.

Pilliya followed and then so did Hallia. But the sight she saw was… worrying. The bustling didn’t continue here, instead, the white paved stone was peppered with something the Yellirs had been all too familiar with. Blue velvet uniforms, trimmed with shimmering silver, insignias and ranks that they could all recognize from a first glance.

Yellir: ::gulping:: That’s a lot of enforcers down there…

If their uniforms weren’t terrifying on their own, their weapons certainly were. They all were armed with baton-like weapons, energy emitters sat at the top of each of those objects.

R. Yellir: ::smiling:: Just means we’re in the right place.

P. Yellir: As long as we’re quiet— nothing bad will happen, just don’t kick the nest like last time ::glaring at Rewn:: and we’ll be good. Besides, it’s not like these top-siders are gonna go hungry if they lose a few knickknacks.

((Time Index: Present Day))

((Main Engineering, USS Excalibur-A))

There was a long pause as that memory came to mind— she felt all eyes on her once again as she returned from spacing out, not even knowing how long she’d just been simply staring at the giant, pulsating warp core in the centre of the room. The room was reminiscent of a sovereign class but with some very notable changes. For one, it was larger. Several consoles towards the back had been sectioned off, taking notes from the Galaxy Class with the usage of similar transparent metals as windows

She was anxious— today was the day that she was to properly give any orders to the engineering staff. The Excalibur was close to launching for the first time with its new crew and everything needed to be up to standard. It was strange suddenly delegating tasks to people, despite simple diagnostics being something Hallia could knock out with a pot of caffeine and a night in Engineering. But that wouldn’t exactly be professional, would it?

She couldn’t shake it out of her system, no matter what she did and it brought some similar memories tied to that feeling of uncertainty.

Engineer: You lost?

Hallia turned her head— she was standing over the large table like console with a stack of goodness knows how many PADDs, each she’d carefully taken the time to write up a basic to-do list based off the retuning of the vessel’s internals. She looked to find an Orion Petty officer looking her up and down.

Hallia did the same, taking note of his features— his short hair, somewhat taller figure and the rolled-up sleeves. Even without taking note of department colour, he seemed rather… engineer-like.

Yellir: Hm? I beg your pardon, mister…?

Garou: Garou, just Garou.

Yellir: It’s lovely to meet you, Mr Garou— I’m your new chief of department, are you usually the second to arrive?

Garou seemed slightly caught off guard— it’s rather clear he didn’t quite expect to see Hallia of all people taking the reigns on this particular day. But she held her pleasant smile at the man, but the two continued speaking and soon enough, the rest of the roster caught up.

Hallia gulped, preparing to say her little hello’s and hand off the current tasks for today to everyone.

To Be Continued…

Lieutenant JG Hallia Yellir

Acting Chief Engineer

USS Excalibur-A