NPC Mary Daniel — A reason to start over new

Yogan Yalu

Feb 15, 2023, 6:41:34 PM2/15/23
to USS Excalibur-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

(( Executive Officer’s Office, Deck 1, USS Excalibur-A ))

Mary had high hopes of being allowed to leave the ship with the baby and start her life anew on some distant planet. She believed it was the right thing for them both. But she also knew that MacKenzie was difficult to impress and was never double-crossed twice. There was one more thing Mary could say, but she had held back because she feared that speaking it would manifest it into reality.

Daniel: I know that you and Commodore Nicholotti are the reason I am here and not in some penal colony. I know that it is your trust that I must earn back. And I know that it may be some time before I do. ::beat:: Or that I might never. But that doesn’t mean that the baby has to suffer just because of me.

MacKenzie nodded. Mary didn’t dare get her hopes up, but influencing the opinion of someone she admired lifted her mood.

MacKenzie: I have to say, I agree with you there.

Daniel: I would love nothing more than to raise the baby on Caldos. But if you don’t think I am ready to go, I would like to request the baby be sent to his grandparents, the Kuppasoops. It would break my heart to be separated from him, but if I must stay here, I would sleep better knowing the baby was safe and being taken care of.

Mary Daniel, infamous accuser of witches, was no stranger to pleading her case. This time, however, she didn’t have a courtroom of idiots eating out of the palm of her hands. Addison MacKenzie wouldn’t be so easily swayed. The commander folded her hands and tapped them on the desk several times. Mary felt her heart pounding in almost perfect sync with each tap. Finally, MacKenzie spoke.

MacKenzie: I’m prepared to grant your request…

Daniel: Oh, thank——

MacKenzie: On one condition – you must seek approval from the child’s father.

Mary wasn’t stupid. She hoped that the stars would align such that she could be allowed to be on her Mary way with no further obligations. She knew that wasn’t realistic. From a purely pragmatic perspective, MacKenzie wouldn’t let her go without ensuring every “t” was crossed and every “i” was dotted. Mary had screwed over Excalibur too many times to expect anything but “by the book” treatment.

MacKenzie’s condition left her both elated and worried.

Daniel: And if he——

Mary didn’t finish the sentence. MacKenzie sat back in her chair and answered as if she had.

MacKenzie: Well, if he objects or wishes to petition for custody of the child, that is within his right. Either way, I don’t think you or the child should be forced to remain here on Excalibur any more.

Daniel: I understand. Thank you, Commander. When we arrive at Deep Space 224, I will speak with Ensign ch’Yves. Thank you, also, for everything you’ve done since I came aboard. I wouldn’t have become the person, the real person, I am without all of you.

Mary stood and left the office. She’d cleared the hurdle, but another now awaited her. Sauerkreemin ch’Yves would get to decide whether she left Excalibur with a child to raise, or whether she would step out into the galaxy alone.

Tag / End scene for Mary

Mary Daniel
Civilian passenger and ex-holonovel murderess
USS Excalibur NCC-41903-A
D238804DS0