Ensign Hiro Jones - Second Chances

notyourfrog

Nov 30, 2022, 1:01:50 PM11/30/22
to USS Excalibur-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG
((USS Excalibur-A, Shuttlebay 1))

Hiro thanked the shuttle pilot, and stepped into the shuttlebay. Holding the strap of his duffle slung over his shoulder, he looked around the cavernous room. It was much like every other shuttlebay he'd been in, but there was a distinct difference this time. HE was different now from who he'd been when he'd last reported for duty. Closing his eyes and taking a deep breath of the scentless air, he let the moment permeate his consciousness. The overwhelming sense of gratitude he felt for this opportunity filled him as he inhaled, and on the long, slow, measured exhale, what was left was a resolve completely new to him. He had always been incredibly ambitious, but *this* resolve was not one fueled by a desire for personal achievement, but by an externalization of consciousness. He was here to help whoever needed it, however he could.

With a smile, he reached up and touched the single pip at his collar. Its solidarity reinforced the fact that this was a second chance. Not a shot at redemption - he didn't believe in such things, but a chance to learn from the past and do better from the present going forward. With a shrug to adjust the duffle, he walked purposefully into the Excalibur's corridor.

Jones: oO ok, let's see ... I need to check in with the XO first, then I can drop my bag and head to sickbay. Oo =/\= Computer, where is Commander MacKenzie? =/\=

Computer: =/\= Commander MacKenzie is currently on Deck 4, would you like guidance? =/\=

Jones: =/\= That would be lovely. Yes please. =/\=

Hiro followed the lights at his side until finally rounding a corner and spotted the Commander. He hadn't been poring over the ship's personnel files by any means, but he'd done a little research, just so he didn't feel completely wrong-footed on his first day. Walking up to the officer, Hiro cleared his throat softly to announce his presence before saying

Jones: Excuse me, Commander MacKenzie?

MacKenzie: Response

Jones: ::holding out his hand in greeting:: I'm Ensign Hiro Jones. I've just arrived, and wanted to check in with you first thing.

He adjusted the duffle on his shoulder again. Why hadn't he dropped this thing off before reporting? Maybe it hadn't been the best call, but it's the one he made. No bailing out now.

MacKenzie: Response

Jones: Yes, sir. ::he reached around to the outside pocket of his duffle where he'd stowed the PADD containing his orders. He was grateful for the foresight so he didn't have to sift through his meagre possessions in front of his new XO.:: Here you are, sir.

MacKenzie: Response

Tag/TBC

Ensign Hiro Jones
USS Excalibur-A