Commodore Kalianna Nicholotti - The Best of the Best

Marissa Jeffrey

Feb 2, 2023, 1:21:47 PM2/2/23
to USS Excalibur-A – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG
((The Round Table, USS Excalibur - A))

There was something to be said about a gathering of officers and crew who had been forged by the fires of chaos and turned into a true family. Though different backgrounds, races, and mindsets, they had come together to overcome some impossible odds. It was those odds, and the moments of success in putting them to rest, that she now wished to recognize and celebrate.

As the dishes were cleared from the table, and fresh drinks were delivered, Kali looked out expectedly and remained so until the conversations hushed and all eyes fell upon her.

Nicholotti: First, let me thank all of you for the parts that you played in getting our officers home. It wasn't easy, and at times, it seemed like there had been a complete breakdown in everything, but we made it. We made it because of your innovations, your integrity, and your committment to your duty, and your fellow crew.

Kali paused and took a sip of the drink that had been set before her. This time it was an orange and red thing in a similarly slender glass that mixed in ways not unlike a nebula.

Nicholotti: To that end, I'd like to take a moment to recognize some of you. There's no need to come around, but if you'd stand when your name is called and recieve your ribbons.

Glancing next to her, Kali stood and indicated for her first officer to prepare the first set of small wooden boxes. Kali cleared her throat.

Nicholotti: First, let us take the time to welcome our two newest officers from Starfleet Academy, Ensigns Jones and Jovenan. Your successful transition to the fleet is hereby recognized and you are both awarded the Starfleet Academy Graduate ribbon. It is a pleasure to have you aboard.

Jovenan/Jones: Responses?

The raven-haired commodore smiled at them both.

Nicholotti: You can remain standing. Commander Adea, Lieutenant Silveira, Ensign Nayavi, and Lieutenant Yellir, please join them.

Kali waited a moment before continuing.

Nicholotti: When things went decidedly sideways and the impossible loomed, not a one of you gave up. None of you stopped and said that there wasn't an answer. On the contrary, you all assisted each other and made the impossible into a possible, giving the ship and your fellow crewmates a chance to survive. It was by your creative approaches, and courage to execute unknown ideas, that helped us make it through. For all that was done to get us on the other side of certain destruction, I am more than proud to present to each of you the Innovation Ribbon.

Adea/Silveira/Nayavi/Yellir/Jones/Jovenan/Any: Responses?

Lowering her head ever so slightly, she allowed their crewmates time to congratulate them, for the boxes to be handed out, and for each of them to take their seats again before continuing.

Nicholotti: Over the course of the trying times, more than one of you have stepped up and proven to be the best of the best. Starfleet is better for having you in that uniform. Lieutenants Dakora and Yellir, and Ensign Jovenan, if you would.

She gestured for them to stand.

Nicholotti: Conspicuous shows of gallantry, without thought to your own comforts or even lives, speaks volumes to the kind of caliber of officer you are. Ensign Jovenan, for taking the risks necessary and making sure vital information got to the bridge allowing us to find and mitigate issues regarding the Daisy, and Lieutenants Dakora and Yellir for the actions taken to locate and remove the sabotaged replicator core, and avoid much more damage and potential fatalities on the ship, I hereby present to you the Good Conduct Ribbon.

Dakora/Jovenan/Yellir: Responses?

Nicholotti: Commander Niac will also be awarded this ribbon, though we will have to mail his to his new duty station.

Kali nodded to Addison and the boxes began to make their way around the table.

Nicholotti: Ensign Jovenan, please remain standing. Lieutenant Seta, please join her.

Offering a bit of a smile to the counselor, Kali found herself looking forward to the next sit down she had with her. There was something different about this counselor that she hadn't had with the one prior. Actually, she usually found herself running from them, but Seta seemed different. Perhaps that would mean good things as they continued their trek through the stars.

Nicholotti: During the crisis that plagued our diplomatic guests, it was you who found the breakthrough that allowed our medical teams to save the representatives. This simple act averted wars. Counselor, even outside of your area of expertise, your guidance and input was invaluable, and Ensign, even as a brand new Academy graduate, your knowledge and taking of calculated risks saved many, many lives. It is with pleasure I present you both with the Lifesaving ribbon.

Jovenan/Seta: Responses?

At this point, Kali took a sip from her dwindling drink and set it back down as the table refocused on her once more.

Nicholotti: Ensign Bean. You are a constant source of inspiration and your contributions to what we've done, what we've overcome, and our overall success cannot be understated. I am proud to present to you the Captain's Commendation for everything you did, and all of the ideas and actions you contributed to our latest survival.

She smiled, her crystalline eyes settling on him as he received the box in which the ribbon resided.

Bean: Response?

And now, to the heavier recognitions.

Nicholotti: Commander MacKenzie and Lieutenant Dakora, it is a relief to have you both back aboard. ::Beat.:: Your loyalty to the uniform and your drive to protect and find answers has never wavered, and that is clear in the actions leading up to the recent events. You went through quite a lot, and while I prefer to limit these, I am still honored to service with officers such as yourselves. I hereby present you both the Purple Heart for the injuries sustained during your trip and the Prisoner of War ribbon for the circumstances surrounding that.

A look of pride and maybe a bit of sorrow danced across her face. But in a flash, it was gone.

Nicholotti: Your actions were within the highest standards of Starfleet officers. In addition, I present to you both the Starfleet Medal of Commendation.

MacKenzie/Dakora: Response?

Kali smiled to them both.

Nicholotti: Finally, I'd like to recognize Commander MacKenzie. For the past two years she has been unwavering in her committment to this ship, this crew, and her position as First Officer. I'm proud to serve with her, and honored to present her with the First Officer ribbon.

Taking the last box, she handed it to the woman next to her.

MacKenzie: Response?

With that, Kali took and raised her glass. The drink was almost gone, but then again, there was always more where it had come from. She snuck a glance to the bartender before smiling to her officers.

Nicholotti: To the best of the best. You all.

Any: Responses?

TAG/TBC

--
Commodore Kalianna Nicholotti