JP: Major Hannibal Tiberious Parker and Fleet Captain Aron Kells," Honor before Glory, Part Two."

KENNETH COTTON

Apr 19, 2020, 3:03:17 PM4/19/20
to UFOP: StarBase 118 - Duronis II Embassy
(( Marine Gym ))

The Fleet Captain stood right in front of him, giving him flashbacks of boot camp with Gunny “Hard Ass” Hardaway, the only being in the universe to ever give Hannibal pause. Kellis spoke...

Kells: You’re perilously close to insubordination, Major. In fact, I think you’ve crossed that line already, but since I recognize that this is an emotional time for everyone, I’ll give you a second chance. At ease, put on a shirt, and explain to me what you’re talking about.

Parker: Yes, Sir...

Hannibal had been insubordinate before, and Hannibal did not fear a court martial, but neither did he want one. Plus, there was also the possibility that the Fleet Captain was completely unaware of Hannibals’ situation here, that Starfleet had just thrown Kells into the fire, coated with kerosene. Grabbing his Starfleet Marine tee shirt off the bench, which still held the six hundred pounds he had been lifting, and throwing it on, Hannibal once again faced the Fleet Captain, and began to speak…

Parker: Before you arrived Captain, I commanded a battalion of Marines and a starship. Since then, I have been relegated to commanding a platoon on board a starship, a starship headed out to the Menthar Corridor. I’ve done nothing to deserve being removed from command, or losing my battalion. In fact, my record shows I have done the impossible with the improbable. Perhaps you can explain to me exactly what the hell is going on? As a Fleet Captain, certainly you must understand how this looks to me, how I interpret this as a dishonor and insult to my record.

The good news was Kells was listening, really listening, to what Hannibal had to say. That was important. He has known brass to listen, but not hear, to order, but not explain. Such was the life he chose. This was not one of those times. Hannibal looked into the mans’ eyes, his ears attuned to the Fleet Captains’ words…

Aron sighed. He understood Parker’s position, and he sympathized with the major’s commitment to his honor. But, still, Aron shook his head.

Kells: I don’t see it that way, Major. You see this as a demotion, but I see it as an important sideward move. You’re a key member of this crew, and Starfleet’s reassignment sees value in you staying with them.

Parker: I have been, and will always be, an excellent Marine, Captain…

Kells: I don’t doubt that, Major. Your service history is long and much-decorated.

Parker: I’ve always gone where they sent me. I’ve never refused a mission or assignment, no matter how dangerous or impossible. And I’ve come through every time.

Aron met that with a deep nod.

Kells: Go on.

Parker: I can only go by what I feel, Captain, unless there is something else driving the decision making. That is what I want to know…

Kells: Is it the region itself you object to, Major? I believe your service history says that you’ve served in the Menthar Corridor before, haven’t you?

Parker: Yes...I’ve been there before, with Captain Tallis Rhul, on board the USS Mercury.

That brought a smile out of Aron. He had never known Tallis -- or, rather, he’d only known the Bajoran captain by reputation -- but the two were forever connected:

Kells: I inherited his command. The Mercury was the first ship where I served as a CO.

But not the last. He’d been through some sticky situations following the Mercury’s decommissioning, but had returned to the Corridor to inherit command of the Garuda from Cassandra Egan Manno, who had been promoted to fleet captain, and then had transferred the Garuda’s crew to the Invicta. Still, he remembered the Mercury very fondly indeed.

However, it appeared that Parker did not.

Parker: It’s not the most friendly neighborhood, with the Cardassians and Tholians having their own agendas, the destruction of Astrofari One. A strong deterrent should be in the region.

Kells: For as long as we remain there, yes. I don’t expect it to be longer than this mission.

Hannibal and his Marines have always been that deterrent, and it looked like that would be his role once again. Sticking out a massive hand, Hannibal spoke…

Parker: Looks like I’m your deterrent, Fleet Captain….

Again Aron was taken slightly aback, but after a moment of surprise, he smiled again and accepted Parker’s offered hand.

Kells: I’m glad to hear it, Major. And I’m sure the crew will be glad to know that you’re staying with them.

Parker: Well Captain..my wife and I will do our best to serve.

Kells: I would also like to get your sense of how you and your marines might best serve a long-range explorer like the Thor.

Parker: Sounds like a plan. Once we get underway, let’s set up a meeting. We’ve got a weeks’ worth of travel time, give me time to figure out the best way to integrate the Marine into shipwide functions.

Aron nodded again.

Kells: I imagine it will be quite different from duty at the Embassy. We’ll be flying into regions where no one from Starfleet has ever gone -- and it’ll be your duty to see to our safety. It’s a tough assignment, Major.

Parker: Tough is my middle name, Captain...

Kells: In fact, I wonder if you would consider another position aboard the Thor. You could keep your marine rank -- but I suspect that the Thor will often find itself in unusual and potentially unique situations. In those cases, I think it would be beneficial if we were to have an officer dedicated to (beat) special circumstances.

Hannibal knew what that meant. Going into situations where traces of Starfleet or the Federation would be either undesirable or unwelcome, yet were vital to the safety of the ship and crew. Situations where he and his team had excelled. Situations of plausible deniability. Situations tailor made for the Shadow Team. Hannibal smiled as he spoke...

Parker: Another position, Captain?

Kells: Would you be interested in a post as Special Operations Officer?

It meant he was back to doing things he had done so well, things which were classified, deep in his element. His team was perfect for such things, and fortunately, all of them were on board with him. Hannibal spoke...

Parker: Count me in...

This time, Aron offered his hand for the major to shake.

Kells: Then I’m delighted to accept your service.

Parker: You got it, Captain...

END

Major Hannibal Tiberious Parker

Commanding Officer

Marine CO

USS Thunder-A/Duronis II Embassy

C238703HP0

&

---
Fleet Captain Aron Kells
Commanding Officer
USS Thor
V238208LV0
&
SB118 Captains Council Magistrate (so ask me anything!)