Flt. Capt. Kells: Night before

Tony Colella

Apr 17, 2020, 11:29:49 PM4/17/20
to UFOP: StarBase 118 - Duronis II Embassy
(( Ballroom, Embassy Grounds, Duronis II ))

Kells: And what do you think of the Thor?

Aron watched as the lieutenant's eyes widened with what Aron assumed was a warm, open smile.

Garcia: We’ve lucked out there, sir. She’s sharp, canny and nimble. A courageous vessel. :: Ben bit his lip in afterthought. :: Well spec’ed too – engines, firing power, sensors.

Kells: (eagerly) One of the finest ships, you'd say? Anything else?

Garcia: Gremlin free. Propulsion systems are flushed and calibrated; you get a clear A off the warp core with a tuning fork. :: Ben smiled mischievously. :: We have Commander Pandorn and Ensign Sirok to thank for that.

Regular Roshanaras, Aron assumed -- which was to say he remembered the names Garcia mentioned from the engineering manifest. Roshanara was, of course, one of a kind -- but he expected that Garcia's praise wasn't lightly given. After all, he was in charge of helm and ops in addition to his duties as second officer, and if there was any duty post that expected a lot from a ship's engineering team, it was HCO.

Kells: Then I'm sure they'll be up to keeping us running, no matter where we go. (beat) What about the crew, Lieutenant?

Garcia: A mixed bag. :: Ben touched the back of his neck. :: For a good chunk, like me, it’ll be their first reassignment. On the flip side, there’s a couple who are on the nth assignment of their career.

Kells: (slight nod) I've been there myself. I'm still there, thanks to this move. But if there's one thing we know how to do as Starfleet officers, it's keep up with change, right?

Garcia: Change … :: Ben stressed the next word. :: … is our stride, captain.

Garcia offered a toast.

Garcia: The Thor, her crew and their success.

Aron raised his glass, too.

Kells: Hear, hear.

He drank deeply and, as he did so, noticed a familiar face -- Teller, flanked by a human woman and a large Bolian man. His next destination, of course.

Kells: Lieutenant, will you excuse me?

Aron offered Garcia a quick smile and nod, and took his leave. He needed to make the rounds tonight, and as the Embassy's and now the Thor's second officer, he expected Garcia needed to, too.

He approached the group of three as Commander Teller drained his drink. The Bolian man smiled at Aron as he approached, but it was the human woman who spoke first.

MacKenzie: ::nodding:: Fleet Captain Kells. I’m Doctor Addison MacKenzie, Chief Medical Officer. It’s a pleasure to meet you – your reputation precedes you… Captain Rahman speaks very highly of you.

Aron tipped a wink at Teller. There was a camaraderie between Teller and MacKenzie he could see, and he suspected that they'd both served together for a while under Roshanara.

Kells:  Good to meet you, Doctor. I suspect you're one of the best if you survived Roshanara. (beat) Were you with her in the Shoals?

MacKenzie: Yes, I served as a medical officer with her on the Veritas for about a year before I transferred here to the Embassy. I’m very much looking forward to embarking on our next mission.

Kells: (fervent) I'm lucky to have you, then. (indicating Teller; earnestly) Both of you. I know how difficult Roshanara is to please, and how you both must have worked extraordinarily hard for your ranks.

Oops. Too intense. Aron had only had a small glass of champagne, but that was plenty for someone who didn't drink often. He shut his mouth, but was happy to discover that he hadn't metaphorically wept all over the group too badly.

MacKenzie: ::sarcastically, to Teller:: You look parched…

Teller: Response

Brell: (To Kells) I am looking forward to seeing the Thor in action, it will be my first time aboard a Vesta class as part of its crew.

Kells: Mine as well. (beat) And if you don't mind me asking, sir, who are you?

Aron didn't recognize the man from the Embassy's most recent active service record, but that didn't necessarily mean anything -- except that he might have been away.

Brell: Response

Kells: Ah, Captain! It's a pleasure to meet you. Your reputation precedes you -- I knew you served here as an ambassador recently. You're shipping out with us on Thor?

Brell: Response

Kells: (with a smile) We'll be very lucky to have you.

Brell/Teller: Responses

Their conversation had moved slightly with the ebb and flow of the crowd, and it now found them nearest to the bar, where a couple of new faces awaited. Aron knew Admiral Turner, of course, and the admiral sat beside a human man whose Aron recognized as Commander Pandorn, assigned recently as both the Embassy's first officer and chief of engineering, and now serving as the security chief.

Pandorn: ::smiles:: Evening everyone. Are we ready for the future?

Turner: :: smiling excitedly:: Yes, a new beginning. Have you met your new CO?

MacKenzie: Captain Kells, may I introduce the Thor’s Chief of Security, Commander Krindo Pandorn.

Kells: Delighted, Commander. I'm glad to know the Thor's crew will be under your capable watch.

Brell/Teller: Responses

Pandorn: It is an honor, Captain Kells. ::shakes the hand::

Turner: HQ cared enough to send us the very best... Huh? where did I hear that before? :: grins:: If you all will excuse me, I see someone I need to speak to before they get lost in the crowd.

Kells: Of course, Admiral. Good to see you again, and I'll see you tomorrow.

Brell/Pandorn/Teller: Responses

MacKenzie: So, boss – what’s the plan? Briefing with the senior staff in the morning?

Kells: (slightly mischievous) I shouldn't say, without the other department heads present...

He glanced around the crowd. It wouldn't be hard to gather them -- he saw Garcia across the floor at first glance -- but he wanted them to enjoy themselves, too.

Kells: ...but, yes. I'll beam up to the Thor with Commander Teller and Lieutenant Garcia and then we'll be underway. Once we are, I want a senior staff meeting to discuss this (beat) unusual assignment.

MacKenzie/Brell/Pandorn/Teller: Responses

Aron nodded and then drank to the sentiment.

Kells: They certainly are, but maybe this one even more than most. Starfleet saw fit to assign the Thor, after all.

MacKenzie/Brell/Pandorn/Teller: Responses

Tags! and TBC!

---
Fleet Captain Aron Kells
Commanding Officer
USS Thor
V238208LV0
&
SB118 Captains Council Magistrate (so ask me anything!)