JP - Lt. Cmdr. Addison MacKenzie & Capt. Roshanara Rahman - Visit from a Friend

Addison MacKenzie

Apr 5, 2020, 9:00:04 AM4/5/20
to sb118-...@googlegroups.com
((Medical Center - Embassy of Duronis II))

Addison sat perched behind the large rosewood desk in her office, her gaze focused on her computer screen. There had been some recent research published by Starfleet Medical containing new surgical concepts that might assist with her long-term patients across the fleet. While downtime was certainly not plentiful as a medical officer, MacKenzie preferred to use her time to keep up on the latest.

In fact, she was so captivated by the latest material, she barely heard the knock on her door.

MacKenzie: ::mumbling, without lifting her gaze from the screen:: Come in.

A familiar face peeked around the corner in the form of Captain Roshanara Rahman. Turning her attention to her surprise visitor, Addison smiled and rose to greet the woman, suddenly very conscious of the deep purple bruises covering most of her face and neck.

MacKenzie: Well, if this isn’t a pleasant surprise! What brings you to this side of the galaxy, Captain Rahman?

Rahman: Dropping off an old friend… I can’t stay much longer, but I figured if you found out I was in the neighborhood, I might incur some fury.

If the differences in Teller’s appearance from when she last saw him were readily apparent to her getting off the runabout, seeing Dr. MacKenzie now recovering from injury immediately changed Roshanara’s warm smile into a concerned frown.

Rahman: Are you all right to see me? I don’t want to disturb you if you’re… recovering still.

MacKenzie’s hand brushed against her throat as she tried to offer a reassuring smile.

MacKenzie: I had an unfortunate run-in with some Romulans. My captors were… not kind.

Roshanara nodded somberly. She’d had her own run-in with captors before in the course of her duties, in her case, a nasty Orion pirate who’d introduced her face to the blunt end of a rifle one time on Nygel II.

MacKenzie gestured to the chairs meant for visitors, even though she already knew the answer to her impending question.

MacKenzie: Do you care to sit?

Rahman: Oh, I’m afraid my schedule won’t allow it. I have to catch up with a slipstream transport to make it back in time to Cait Spacedock.

MacKenzie: Fair enough - you’re a long way from home and I’m sure they’re ready to have you back on the Veritas.

Rahman: Still, I wanted to see how you were doing.

The bruises partially answered that, although perhaps not exactly how she’d hoped to see MacKenzie in her new assignment.

MacKenzie: ::raising her palms and smirking:: Oh, I’m no worse for wear - I’ve certainly seen far worse.

The Kriosian chuckled.

Rahman: So have you gotten used to running your own department yet?

MacKenzie: It’s been interesting… The physicians here are some of the best I’ve seen, and we’ve received some recent graduates who’ve also proven to be quite capable. It’s been interesting, but I’ve really enjoyed it.

Rahman: I still remember my first day on the job as chief engineer back on the Mercury. It was… eventful to say the least. But I’ll tell you something, there are days when I do sincerely miss it. Being down below decks, just worried about my own team of goldshirts.

MacKenzie: No doubt that your concerns these days are… considerably larger.

Rahman: Just be warned, Doctor. Once you get that chief’s office, it can be hard to give it up. Enjoy it.

MacKenzie smiled slightly before cocking her head.

MacKenzie: I don’t know, Captain - the chair’s pretty comfy...

Roshanara nodded, and she let the moment linger before looking back out the door for a moment.

Rahman: Well, I really should be heading off...

MacKenzie: If I can ask before you go, how’s Commander Blake? I’ve been keeping an eye on her medical reports...

Rahman: Oh, yes, Commander Blake. You’ll be happy to know the operation appears to be a success. Dr. Zhou along with Dr. Dassa Alexander-Dalton have been continuing to oversee the commander’s physical rehabilitation. Needless to say, though, she’s had a long journey since the operation itself.

MacKenzie: ::sarcastically:: No doubt furthered by her penchant for following doctor’s orders.

Rahman: You know the commander. Being told to take it easy… is probably the hardest thing for her to do. You should contact her. I’m sure she’d appreciate hearing from you.

MacKenzie: I’ll do that.

MacKenzie nodded at the welcome news of Blake’s stable condition. She took a moment to enjoy the presence of her former commanding officer’s presence before offering a smile and a handshake.

MacKenzie: Good to see you again, Captain. Have a safe journey home.

Roshanara gripped MacKenzie’s hand and smiled back. Despite the bumps and bruises, the doctor had changed as well since she’d left Veritas, that much Roshanara could clearly see now, just like Mr. Teller. Both were now a little more mature, perhaps even a bit hardened by a life in Starfleet since they’d first come to her as fresh ensigns out of the academy. To say goodbye in the service was less a farewell as it was a passing of the torch. Dr. MacKenzie would no doubt help guide the young officers who came under her command as chief medical officer, and no doubt she’d do it well.

Rahman: And may pleasant journeys await you yourself, Doctor. I have a suspicion this won’t be the last time we see each other. ::She winked.:: And next time, I’ll bring the whole ship with me.

MacKenzie: I’ll hold you to that, Captain.

Rahman: Just call it a good job guarantee or something like that…

The captain’s face turned stone-cold serious.

Rahman: Don’t ever tell him I said that.

Addison shook her head insistently.

MacKenzie: Absolutely not, ma’am.

Rahman: Good. I have a reputation to maintain after all.

The two women shared a chuckle before the captain returned to her runabout and took back to the stars, leaving Duronis II and her former officers--now treasured friends.

[End]

---

Lieutenant Commander Addison MacKenzie, M.D., Ph.D., FASFS

Chief Medical Officer

USS Thor

V239601AM0

&