JP: Greaves, Alieth, Sirok - JP: Vulcan (and a Greaves) Gossip - Part 2

Wes Greaves

Apr 18, 2020, 1:11:19 PM4/18/20
to UFOP: StarBase 118 - Duronis II Embassy

((Grand Ballroom - Federation Embassy in Til’ahn))

Sirok nodded at Alieth's claim, then sipped his juice. At that moment, Lieutenant Greaves appeared beside them.

Greaves:  Whoa whoa, don’t get too crazy now you party animals. ::Wes joked as he approached::.

The Vulcan doctor noticed how the crowd opened to reveal their fellow Academy Graduate, and the last member of the trio that had arrived to Til'ahn on Captain Portenzia's ship.

Alieth: The consumption of ethanol has confused you, Mister Greaves. Mister Sirok and I are Vulcans and our species is not related to any fossil or living creature known as ''party animal'.

Sirok simply raised a slight eyebrow, one of the few easy expressions that could be seen on the Vulcan.

Greaves: Come on, you both went to the academy, you’ve surely been around humans long enough to have heard that idiom before.

Alieth: and enough to learn to ignore your species' predisposition to ambiguous language.

Although the Vulcan woman's words could easily be interpreted as a scolding, her eyes sparkled briefly when her gaze shifted to the Marine's, revealing a point of light humour in them

Sirok: Curious name for an animal, I had heard of the clown fish but not of this "party animal"

In my case I spent most of my time studying, my contact with humans was quite limited.

Greaves:  ::Feigning exasperation:: No, it doesn’t have to do with an actual animal.  It was just a joke ya buzz kills.

Alieth: ::Raising an eyebrow:: I have not pulled out a phaser YET, Mister Greaves, do you suggest that this is the appropriate time to do so?

Still unperturbed, Sirok shook his head and looked around for that possible "danger".

Greaves:  Oh come on, now you’re just messing with me.  I know I must have said buzz kill around you before.

Sirok: In my case I spent most of my time studying, my contact with humans was quite limited even my roommate was a benzite. I don't know many of your colorful idioms yet.

Alieth: Indeed you have done it, Mister Greaves... but it is also important to verify that you have not lost your marbles.

One of the corners of the doctor's mouth curved upward only minimally. But the expression was so subtle and short that it was hardly noticeable.

Greaves: Lost my… Ahhhh ::pointing at Alieth and shaking his hand in the air::  now we’re talking. Alieth can throw down, we’ll get you there Sirok…

Wes paused slightly with a grin on his face and continued with his best vocal impression of a monotone Vulcan.

Greaves:  I mean to say that Doctor Alieth has caught onto some idioms used commonly in standard and in a short period of time it is likely you will learn to interpret them as well.

Sirok: It is logical that over time, as I hear more languages, I will learn their meaning and use. Although I do not think I will personally use them unless there is no other option. :: He stared at him for a moment.:: And if you want to try to speak in a more correct tone you should try to compress your mouth impressions even more and I recommend a more upright posture, it will avoid unwanted inflections.

Wes released a hearty laugh, now being fueled slightly by the effects of his rapid alcohol intake in the past half hour.

Greaves: I'll keep that in mind if I ever have to portray a Vulcan with your level of stoicism, although I think my ears are a bit stubby to pull that role off well.

Sirok: I am considered one of the most emotional in my family. They describe me as exuberant. :: He said it with his usual robotic tone.

Alieth: Mister Greaves, you should know that Ensign Sirok belongs to a prominent family on Vulcan. He and his relatives are an example to us all.

Greaves: You don't say. Interesting. How'd you end up in Starfleet instead of working for the Vulcan authorities?

Sirok: My brother fulfills the duties of my family better than I could, which is why I chose another path.

Once again, an evasive answer on the matter. Or more correctly, the minimal amount of information required to avoid prompting further discussion. Alieth glanced at the dark-skinned Vulcan, and he returned her gaze calmly, evidently uninterested in pursuing such inquire direction. Even if her curiosity about the matter was still strong, Alieth opted to look at the human and let the issue for later.

Alieth:  We were doing a detailed analysis of what we had learnt or fathom regarding the present officers, in order to share valuable information about them. ::Looking intensely at the Marine:: JOPA business, so under its regulations

Greaves: Oh, count me in! I'd love to hear some of your observations! I still haven't even met half the staff.

JP Written By:

2nd Lieutenant Wes Greaves

Marine Officer

USS Thor NCC-82607