Lt. Cmdr. Geoffrey Teller - Save the Last Dance

Geoffrey Teller

Apr 19, 2020, 2:30:11 AM4/19/20
to UFOP: StarBase 118 - Duronis II Embassy
((Grand Ballroom - Embassy of Duronis II))

MacKenzie: ::sarcastically, to Teller:: You look parched…

Teller: Doctor, as I recall your exact words were 'you need to relax before you drop dead.'  I am simply trying to follow your orders with the vigor they are due.

As if on cue, Major Parker & and his wife joined the party.  He bellowed a friendly greeting and waved to a nearby table.

Parker: COMMANDER TELLER! WE HAVE WHISKEY HERE!!!!

Teller: Pour at least three fingers for me, Major, and I'll join you shortly.  Need to finish making a few introductions.

As Teller stepped aside from the swelling crowd for a moment, he tried to take the pulse of the room.  People laughed and toasted in small groups while others talked energetically, retelling events from the storied history of the installation.  Teller caught fragments of a conversation about a rogue android run amok, and of tense negiogations with the nearby Zalkonian regime.  The energy was positive and infectious.  Turning back, he realized that Flt. Cpt. Kells and Ambassador Brell had found one another and made polite introductions.  Geoff grabbed a unknown but pleasant smelling morsel off a passing tray before rejoining the conversation.

Kells: (with a smile) We'll be very lucky to have you.

Brell: I am looking forward to a bit of adventure.

Teller: As are we all, sir.  And if it's not out of place for me to say so, I think we can have a bit of fun along the way...sirs.

The three of them moved towards the bar, joining a small crowd that had gathered to congratulate Ambassador Turner on her new appointment.  Glasses were refilled, raised and drained in celebration as their newly appointed Chief of Security, Lt. Cmdr. Krindo Pandorn, appeared from out of the boisterous crowd.

Pandorn: ::smiles:: Evening everyone. Are we ready for the future?

Turner: :: smiling excitedly:: Yes, a new beginning. Have you met your new CO?

MacKenzie: Captain Kells, may I introduce the Thor’s Chief of Security, Commander Krindo Pandorn.

Kells: Delighted, Commander. I'm glad to know the Thor's crew will be under your capable watch.

Pandorn: It is an honor, Captain Kells. ::shakes the hand::

Turner: HQ cared enough to send us the very best... Huh? where did I hear that before? :: grins:: If you all will excuse me, I see someone I need to speak to before they get lost in the crowd.

Kells: Of course, Admiral. Good to see you again, and I'll see you tomorrow.

Brell: Lyldra is here somewhere, and looking for you Toni, I hope to catch up later as well.

Pandorn: Responses

Around them, the party had continued to fill out until he could no longer easily see from the bar to the far wall.  A few groups had begun to dance to the lively music that seemed to come from everywhere at once.

Teller:  Looks like a good turnout.  Nice to give this place a fine sendoff.

It was heartening to see so many people, old and new, mingling freely.  To one side, he even noticed their pair of Vulcan Ensigns, doing their best to look like they weren't having a good time.  As they were waylaid by their newest Marine, Geoff's attention was caught by MacKenzie's voice.

MacKenzie: So, boss – what’s the plan? Briefing with the senior staff in the morning?

Kells: (slightly mischievous) I shouldn't say, without the other department heads present...but, yes. I'll beam up to the Thor with Commander Teller and Lieutenant Garcia and then we'll be underway. Once we are, I want a senior staff meeting to discuss this (beat) unusual assignment.

Geoff smirked.  There was something about their new COs attitude that was quickly winning points with him.  He seemed...intrigued, by the mystery before them.  Eager to get at the problem and bend it to his will.  Excited by the prospect of the unknown.  A real explorer.

Teller: Be good to get back out into space, sir, and I'm confident the crew is eager to get back on mission.

Pandorn: Responses

Brell: It should be interesting to say the least.

Kells: They certainly are, but maybe this one even more than most. Starfleet saw fit to assign the Thor, after all.

Teller:  It still amazes me how much reach the QSD gives us.  When Doctor MacKenzie and I were posted in the Shoals, ships couldn't exceed warp five. It was a bit like living in the early NX days of Starfleet.  Now I'm going to have the chance to cross the Federation in a few days.  Really makes me wonder what's next for us.

Pandorn: Responses

Dar: Evening. :: she chuckled. :: apologies I didn't realise I was interrupting senior staff members.

Brell: Dar Elandra, back in Starfleet? It has been a long long time.

Teller smiled at their Bajoran security Ensign.  She had been with Major Parker when Teller had delivered the news of the sudden reassignment and he'd hoped for the chance to follow up with her.  She had just been joined by her son, who was now going to be joining them aboard the Thor.  Teller couldn't imagine how difficult it would be to maintain a family life as part of Starfleet, and deeply respected the people who managed it.  He made a mental note to reach out personally once they were underway to make sure they were settling comfortably.

Dar: response

Teller: ::smiling::  Guess it's true what they say, it's a small Federation.

Pandorn: responses

Brell: We were both stationed here in what is now another time. Under Rocar as part of the old embassy’s staff.

Dar: response

Kells: response

Evans: =/\= Doctor MacKenzie, please report to the Medical Center immediately. =/\=

Addison bowed slightly to the group.

MacKenzie: Duty calls - I’ll see you all in the morning.

Geoff smirked as he watched Addison leave the room before turning back to the party.  The music was in full swing, as was the service at the bar.  Speeches were made, extolling the bravery and dedication of the men and women who had served as part of this command.  Memories were honored of fallen brothers and sisters, of ships lost and of battles hard fought.  It was poignant.  It was triumphant.  Tears were shed, cheers rung out and for hours, the celebration shook the very foundations of the building.

Eventually, like All Good Things must inevitably do, the celebration came to an end.

[End]

Lieutenant Commander Geoffrey Teller
Executive Officer
Duronis II Embassy & Support Flotilla