JP Lt. Commander T'Lea & John Kendrick: Mister Saxophone (Part I)

Jon Van Pelt

Dec 24, 2022, 4:51:45 AM12/24/22
to Denali Station

((Kendrick’s Apartment, Level 40, Soldotna))

The door to his apartment opened, and for a moment John seemed unsure whether to step inside. The last time he was here was sometime before the previous Awards Ceremony that was held at Möbius. It was also during that night that Katrina had found him unconscious in some back alley.

He still didn't know how he had ended up there. What he did know was that Katrina was very disappointed with him. She even asked him to move out - well, not literally since he never officially moved in with her - but it was obvious she wanted to put their relationship on pause. So she had asked him to spend his nights back at his own place. But then the explosion happened at the White Spire and everything changed. John and the rest of his team were whisked away to another part of the Ring by the alien transport system, but the rest of the Station - including Katrina - feared they had been killed in the explosion.

The fear of losing someone clearly put things in perspective and as soon as he had been rescued, Katrina had welcomed him back with open arms. All was forgiven - or at least it seemed so. But there were moments, when he looked into her eyes, he could see that glimmer of doubt. Something happened that night at Möbius and until she was able to unravel the mystery, it would remain a ticking time bomb underneath their relationship.

Realizing he couldn’t stand in the doorway forever, he stepped inside.

As the door closed behind him, he immediately spotted the case on the dining table. The case that had been sent over here by the Universal Trading Company, the transport company run by his family. He still didn’t know what was inside. Truth was he didn’t want to know either. He had contacted his family a little over a year ago, but they hadn’t replied to his message. So, he had decided to move on. But here he was, staring at the case, facing his past once again.

And then he spotted it, lying on the floor. A small card. It wasn’t there the last time he was here. Someone had come to his apartment. He felt his heart skip a beat as walked over to the card  and picked it up. As he flipped it around, he froze as he read the words on the card:

“Let music guide you back. Love, mum.”

So someone had opened the case. But who? Who knew about the-

T’Lea.

T’Lea had brought him the case after it had been accidentally delivered at her place. He felt an anger slowly building up inside of him.

She knew this was a personal matter, yet she didn’t care and forced her way in to satisfy her curiosity.

John stepped over to the dining table, picked up the case and marched out of his apartment.

((T’Lea’s Apartment, Level 40, Soldotna))

John stood at T’Lea’s apartment, holding the case in one hand while he banged on the door with the other.

Suddenly the door opened.

T’Lea stood there, a bit surprised to see John in her doorway.  It was a first – him coming to see her, and she was genuinely glad to have his company, especially after having been released from the medical clinic not three hours ago.  It was nice that he would take the time to check in on her.

T’Lea:  This is unexpected.  Come in?

She stepped aside and gestured in, but he did not budge. That’s when she noticed the expression on his face was not one of concern, but anger.  He wasn’t here for her well-being.  No, his emotional state and slightly red skin tone indicated that something had upset him.  So why was he here?  Was it for comfort?

Ah-ha!  So he came to T’Lea in a time of crisis, not Pelley.  That had to mean something significant right?

Kendrick: You just couldn’t help yourself, could you?

T’Lea wagged her head a bit confused by the statement.  Clearly, she had not fully understood the source of his anger, which apparently was directed at her.

Why the hell was he angry with her?  She wondered briefly, and then it hit her.  The bond.  He figured out that she had broken their bond.

She wagged her head again, sorry, but not sorry.  No, in fact she was kind of getting mad herself.

T’Lea:  How did you know?

Kendrick: So you won’t even bother to come up with some excuse? ::scoffs:: I don’t know if I should be offended or relieved.

T’Lea:  You left me no choice, John.  What was I supposed to do, leave it alone?  Pretend that it didn’t exist?

Kendrick: No. Of course not. But don't you think it should’ve been up to me to decide what to do with it, huh? It’s my life, my decision. Not yours!

T’Lea:  You self-righteous idiot.  You think this is all about you.  That you’re the only one involved.  It affects me too, John.  And just like you, I made a decision and I stand by it.

He felt his cheeks getting red. The arrogance! It was just preposterous!

Kendrick: And how the hell is my family sending me a damned case with god knows what in it, any business of yours?

A frown etched ever-so delicately across T’Lea’s smooth Vulcan features.  Her head titled just a fraction as if realizing, embarrassingly, that they were not talking about the same thing.  Her eyes and attitude shifted toward caution.

T’Lea:  Wait.  This isn’t about the… Wait. What are you talking about?

Kendrick: You know damn well what I’m talking about.

He pushed the case in her arms, and she nearly dropped it out of surprise.  She didn’t recognize it until she saw the Universal Trading Company logo.  It was the mystery cargo that had accidentally landed at her apartment.

T’Lea: This is what you’re upset about?  Your shipment.  You think I did something to your package?

Kendrick: Think? You just admitted you broke into my apartment to take a peek!

Oh, now that was rich!  Did he really think so little of her that she would go around committing petty crime!  She didn’t know what offended her more, the fact that he suspected her, or that she would do something so paltry.

She shoved the container back at John, not caring if he dropped it, and then grabbed him by the collar and yanked him into her apartment for a private conversation.  The hall was not exactly void of occupants, and Yael may or may not have been home.

T’Lea:  You.  Sit down and tell me what happened.

He plopped down on the couch, still not entirely sure how he had gotten here. Had she really dragged him inside? It felt like the tables had been turned and now he was the one being interrogated. He didn’t like it. Not one bit.

Kendrick: You broke into my apartment, that’s what happened.

She pointed a stern finger at him and interrupted.

T’Lea:  Uhn-uhn.  I said tell me; don’t accuse me of something you suspect, Officer Kendrick.

He reached for his pocket and took out the card his mother had written for him and held it up in the air.

Kendrick: This card. Looks familiar, doesn’t it?

She swiped it from him for a closer look.  It was nothing she had seen before.  The note was from his mother.  The words were simple and sweet.  He was lucky to have a mother that clearly cared about him.

T’Lea: It is a common cardstock, yes, but other than that I’ve never seen it before.  Sorry.

Sorry to burst your bubble to be more precise.

T’Lea:  Is this your only piece of evidence?

Kendrick: That’s not the point. That card was inside the case. The case ::pointing finger:: you opened.

With a grieved sigh she wagged her head at his theory. All she had to do was remain in control of her emotions and not become entangled in his tantrum.

T’Lea: You are mistaken.  I have only entered your apartment one time, when you invited me in.

Kendrick: Come on T’Lea. You expect me to believe that? You are the only one who knew about the case!

She flicked the card at him.

T’Lea: Why the hell would I obsess about your personal cargo?  As if all I think about is you, and your mail, and your girlfriend?!

So much for staying calm.

Kendrick: ::shrugs:: Because you were curious? ::scoffs:: Maybe you thought my parents had sent me some kind of ancient weapon you could add to your collection? ::waves his hand:: How the hell should I know?

He was crazy!  That was the only sane rational answer.  The man was dancing-chicken loco!

TBC

===

Lieutenant Commander T’Lea
Historian and Archaeological Officer