[Denali] Ensign Elonat - One step forward, two steps back.

Elonat

Mar 16, 2023, 5:31:33 PM3/16/23
to Denali Station – StarBase 118 Star Trek PBEM RPG

((Upper Operations, Anchorage, Denali Station))

Once the two arrived at the console, Elonat turned fully to the Commander, and lifted their empty hand in a Vulcan salute—Hoping that in doing so, they could at least improve Stelek’s impression of them.

Elonat: I am pleased to make your acquaintance, sir. ::lowers hand::

The two shake hands.

Stelek: Likewise.  I know today was not an expected first day, but I have come to expect the unexpected in Starfleet.  ::gesturing at the console:: Thoughts?

Elonat: In addition to calibrating the biofilters, I am wondering if it would be possible to remove radiation during the conversion from energy to matter as well. Given that radiation is a form of energy, perhaps we adjust parameters there to bar its ability to pass through the transporter? If that were to work, then a greater portion of the biofilters could be committed to reducing the impacts of the radiation.

Stelek cocked her head to the side. Elonat wondered if that was a good or bad sign.

Stelek: We would require some way to dampen the radiation, we might be able to use some low level EMP field generators typically used for orbital construction, if we knew the specific wavelengths and power distributions.

Elonat felt their whiskers impulsively twitch as they listened, thinking about further ways to proceed. Without familiarity with the commands and technical processes, all they could provide the Commander with was data. They pulled up a report of the more detailed analysis Captain Oddas had displayed earlier.

Elonat: This is the range of wavelengths the radiation is being recorded at. ::They turned their PADD so the screen faced Stelek.:: I am still unable to identify the material source. Will this be sufficient, Commander?

Elonat watched intently as the Commander transferred the report’s information into the terminal. They recognized some of the inputs, at least. That boded well for the refresher Elonat planned for themselves once they were free.

Stelek: I believe so. ::tapping controls to display a filter envelope::   If we can position the EMP Field generator with this filter, will the radiation be attenuated to sufficient effect?

Elonat: Yes, sir. We could beam the field generator to the sites and begin transporting the individuals there shortly after. ::a pause:: Perhaps the generator should be started before transport, so instructions would not need to be relayed?

Stelek brought up the map from earlier.

Stelek: The transporter would typically be the most straightforward option, but the generators sometimes fail when beam in powered on and the radiation is making it hard to establish data connections - which we would use to power it on remotely such during orbital operations.

If transporting was off the table, then it seemed teams would need to be sent in; Taking signal boosters to those stuck in the hotspots, along with the field generator. Elonat looked at the map, most of the heavily radiated areas had nearby parks—except for one. Three tall buildings stood around it, leaving only one side clear. Establishing an EMP field there could potentially be tricky, depending on the circumstance.

Elonat: Then a team to deploy the generator would need to be arranged. ::they point to the area with buildings:: Are these currently in use? If the radiation is impacting systems, the generator has the potential to as well—Though temporary.

Stelek: Response.

Elonat: ::a nod:: Well, all that is necessary would be to gather personnel and equipment to send in, correct?

Stelek: Response.

Elonat: Yes, Commander.

Elonat copied the information needed for the EMP field generator’s activation. The Worene dipped their head in farewell before they left to perform their new task. They were glad they had chosen to make their way to Ops instead of waiting for the situation to settle before reporting for duty.

TAG, END for Elonat

((OOC: Since the mission’s supposed to be wrapping up tomorrow, I thought this would be a good spot to end at!))

Ensign Elonat

Science Officer

Denali Station

D240003E14