Fleet Captain Oddas Aria: The Little Ceremonies of the Great Things We Do

Nicholas St Gabriel

May 8, 2023, 3:51:52 PM5/8/23
to Denali Station

((Aria's Apartment, Anchorage, Denali Station))

Aria excused herself from the little group she was conversing with and made her way to the de facto head of the room, near the balcony, open-air and roughly perpendicular to the food and other bits that made it a party.  There was a small table set up, not a podium, she hadn't wanted to take the formality that far.  On the table was a series of small boxes with pips and ribbons in neat rows and columns.

After taking a sip, she placed her drink in a discreet location.  Luckily, her fear of this part of the job didn't require that level of lubrication.  Also, for the thousandth time, she thanked the Prophets her memory didn't require her to try and refer to notes while performing this duty.

After a moment, the crew began to quiet down - either difference to Rank or her, possibly the same thing.

Oddas: Thank you all for coming, I know formality is not always comfortable, but sometimes it is necessary.  When we come through something trying, difficult, and testing what it means to be a crew, formality can serve to remind us that we are part of a larger whole, part of a mission, and part of a crew that has our backs when we really need them to.

She paused to look at the expectant faces.  It was getting slightly easier to address a crew, more in her element, but she was sure she was happier when it wasn't necessary.  She smiled at them and took a deep breath.

Oddas: Our recent trials mean, of course, we can not only meet anything head on, but that we will be successful.  ::smirk:: But also, that we are making enough of a difference to piss off all the right people.  ::beat:: As a mentor of mine says, I can think of no better compliment.

As she said it, she remembered Cada saying that about the General - Aria's own mother.  She was sure a counselor would have a field day with that story.

Oddas: It seems only right that we recognize you, the people who made all of that happen.  In that vein, I am awarding the entire crew the Innovation Ribbon in recognition of all the amazing efforts you took to protect the station, our city and the Ring from what could have been disastrous effects of the asteroid attacks.

She paused to let the crowd react, and take a deep breath herself.

Any: Response

Oddas: Of course, a group on the ground had to perform extra duty to deflect the incoming asteroids in order to keep the worst of the damage away - and they did so, going above and beyond.  For their efforts Captain Fairhug, Ensign Forsyth, Lt. Neshala, Ensign Raimor, Ensign Elonat, :: quickly :: and Captain Oddas, have been awarded the Good Conduct Ribbon

She hoped the face she made rattling off her own name crossed her lips - the truth was the idea of her own name on the list was not a pleasant one, it just came on the list she had received back from Starfleet Command when she had submitted the original list.  Still she applauded along - proud of all the others.

Any: Response

Oddas: It turned out, of course, the asteroids falling on us were not random, but part of a larger attack.  Thankfully, the crew of the Eagle - in particular Commander Falt, Commander Kendrick, and Ensign Freck, were able to repel the attackers - earning the distinction of the Operation Safe Harbor Ribbon

She paused, and applauded, smiling along.

Oddas: Additionally, this incident highlights how complicated this posting is, how many moving parts - literally - there are and how any of us can be called to take on extra leadership responsibilities at any point.  With an attack underway, Commander Falt did not hesitate to take his job seriously, take leadership of the Eagle, and perform his duties exemplary.  Because of this, he is awarded the Leadership Excellence Ribbon.

Any: Response

Aria took a moment to catch her XO's eye, nod and applaud enthusiastically - she was proud of the officer, he did good work and she was excited to see him continue in his career.

Oddas: Out in space, it turns out some of the asteroids hit the platforms above us responsible for the Day, Night, and probably other things.  Luckily, we had an intrepid team that was able to go to the platforms, ascertain the damage, make repairs, and make some very helpful explorations in the process.  Commander T'Lea, Commander Dekas, and Ensign Kettick are hereby awarded the Explorer's Ribbon for their amazing work.

Any: Response

She gulped and applauded, looking from one to the other, offering them each a smile and a nod of congratulations.

Oddas: Finally, if I could get Commander Dekas and Ensign Forsyth to approach.  ::pause:: Against my orders, mind you, these two - along with Sgt. Hesan found themselves injured during the line of duty, accomplishing the mission of keeping the station, the city, the Ring, and most importantly, their crew safe.  For that, each of the three has been awarded a Purple Heart.

Aria approached the Ensign first and presented her with the small box containing the Purple Heart, shaking her hand.

Oddas: Thank you, :: beat :: Don't do it again.

Forsyth: Response

Aria chuckled sofly, moving on to the Aurelian towering over her.

Dekas: Response

Oddas: That's right.

Aria handed over the small box and cuffed him on the shoulder before returning to her former place and joining in on the applause.

Any: Response

Oddas: Captain Fairhug, Ensign Freck, Lieutenant Kettick, and Ensign Forsyth to the front, standing tall.

She framed it as an order, rare for her, but it never hurt at this moment to give things a little gravity.  Besides, she could argue this was the moment the formality was reserved for.   When the four were waiting in front of her, she motioned to her XO for the two of the small boxes, each containing a single hollowed out pip.

Of course, her own heart was beating like crazy, and she could feel a sharpness there she did not like.

Any: Response

Oddas: Mister Freck, Mister Forsyth, I have been receiving some disturbing reports from your departments - reports that you have not been performing your duties, commiserate with your rank.  In order to remedy that, let the record show that on this stardate you are both are hereby promoted to the rank of Lt. Junior Grade, with all the rights, privileges, and responsibilities thereto.

Aria smiled wide and moved over to each, pinning the hollow pip first to the Feringi, and the to the Human officer.

Oddas: ::shacking a hand:: Congratulations!

Freck: Response

Oddas: ::shaking her hand:: Good work, Lieutenant.

Forsyth: Response

Oddas: ::smirking:: Good luck. ::motioning for the next box:: Lieutenant Kettick, the Engineering Department has told me you are doing excellent work, tonight's ceremony is proof of that, as is your Chief's reports and recommendations.  Accordingly, you are promoted to the rank of full Lieutenant.

Again Aria pinned a pip to a uniform, this time replacing a hollow pip with a full, and shaking the Remillian's hand, nodding congratulations as she did so.

Kettick: Response

Oddas: Next, is Captain Fairhug.  I am promoting you back to your previously held rank - Lt. Commander.  Additionally, I am charging you to take control of the Security Division. I know you will do great, Lt. Commander Fairhug, Chief of Security.

For this particular promotion, she simply handed the newly minted Lt. Commander the box with the appropriate pips, there not being a reason to make the swap out for an officer that had help the rank before.  Still, she gave him a warm handshake, biting the inside of her cheek as she did so.

Oddas: Thank you, Commander.

Fairhug: Response

Oddas: ::returning to her spot and holding up a hand::  Just a few minutes more.  Before I turn you over to the XO, who I know has a special presentation of his own, I want to say thank you again.  A very wise officer I served with once told me we have ceremonies for things that are important - births, weddings, deaths, awards - precisely because they are important, and we ignore them at our own peril.  I didn't quite know what he meant at the time, I was angry at something else, but in command I know that what he was trying to tell me was that it's the little ceremonies like this that allow us to look at each other, at ourselves, at the things in our lives and say "you matter, I matter, we matter and what we do matter".

She paused and let in sink in before continuing - trying no to let the gravity escape her even as she wanted to escape the spotlight.

Oddas: What we are doing matters, not just for those out there ::nodding toward the city, the Ring, the Wilds, and beyond:: but to each other.  Savor it, enjoy it, and remember it for many years.  Thank you.

Any: Response

Aria motioned toward the XO to let him take the floor, subtly taking multiple deep breaths and calming her nerves.

Falt: Response

TAG, TBC

Fleet Captain Oddas Aria

Commanding Officer