Lt Lazarus Davis - could have been a xeno-sociologist

1 view

Davis, Joshua Lazarus

Oct 18, 2021, 1:52:56 PM10/18/21
to sb118-con...@googlegroups.com
(( Tengoku No Mon, Starbase 104 - Backsim ))

Queen: That is a ... big question.

Davis: I like big questions.

The Linara leaned back and let out some air as her mind tried to find an answer.

Queen: To be honest with you, I never thought about that. I am not used to look far into the future. ::After all it could have ended any day. Even though she had been here for a while already she still had to get used to having more chances of having a tomorrow, a next week, month or even year. But she did have one realisation.:: I wouldn't want to follow my parents' footsteps of Engineering. While I feel it's my duty to help now, I don't really have interest in the field. Other than that I don't know what options I even have. So I would most likely look around, try out things here and there to find what I want to do. Maybe it's music, maybe it's dance, or breaking things for stress release. Maybe none of the above or all of it. I don't know yet.

Davis: Yeah, I could totally see that for you.

Queen: Which part? Where I break things or the one where I don't know yet if I may not actually do it?

She waggled her head back and forth with what sounded like an attempt to laugh and Lazarus joined in with a chuckle.

Davis: The part where you said you’d explore, see what’s out there. You’ll fit right in around here.

Queen: I have to admit that I have realized I slacked a lot since coming on board. Getting used to the new environment, people, lifestyle ... it was overwhelming. It still is. But as I mentioned I started to get back to my mission. But I also wish to find my place in this society. And I will work on figuring that out and will find the answer to what to do in the progress.

Something he learned in xeno-sociology is that the Federation can seem confusing to people used to scarcity. Sense of place or purpose was often determined by fulfilling societal needs, but the core Federation planets are all essentially paradises. There are no societal needs that an individual needs to be responsible for, per se. Work needs to be done, no doubt, but it effectively populated by people that are intrinsically motivated to do the work. So few people need to work that all the work gets done by volunteers. There are a few outliers, but that’s basically how the system works. So how to find purpose when there is no purpose?

Davis: You’re an explorer, just like me. Just like all of us on this ship. I think you’ll fit in great.

She might be exploring her own psychology, but what’s the difference?

Queen: My turn then, you are an attractive successful man. Why were you not mated before we met?

His heart skipped a few beats, hearing her call him attractive and successful. He did start her on the “big questions.” He earned this...

Davis: Well, ah, it depends, I guess on what you mean by “mated.” I haven’t been married before, and don’t have any kids. But I’ve… been around.

Queen: ?

Davis: Oh, that is to say that I’ve had several sexual partners. So in that sense, I’ve mated.

Queen: ?

Davis: Right, right… :: no avoiding the question :: I’ve gotten close a few times. I’ve never left someone at the altar, but I’ve broken off engagements before. It used to take me a while to listen to my gut. :: He reached across the table to clasp his hand over hers :: Now, I know what I’m doing.

He looked up to meet her gaze, and smiled warmly, giving her had a gentle squeeze.

Queen: ?

——
Lieutenant Lazarus Davis
Chief Science Officer
USS Constitution-B
Podcast Team Facilitator
IDIC team member
ASDB team member
C239510LD0
(he/him, character)
(they/them, writer)

“I wanted to prove the sustaining power of music.” – David Bowie