Lt. Commander Anath G'Renn - Linara Medicine 101

1 view

Anath G'Renn

Jul 31, 2021, 12:31:26 PM7/31/21
to sb118-con...@googlegroups.com

((Primary Sickbay Facility - Deck 12, USS Constitution-B))

Sickbay was nice and quiet. Anath was leaning against a biobed and working on paperwork, not really paying attention to her surroundings. She didn’t hear the doors open or see someone approaching from the entrance. Then she heard the sound of a metal jingling and heavy footfalls and looked up just in time to see a very pale woman wearing dark tinted goggles standing right in front of her.

Queen: I am here for a check up.

The abruptness of the statement not prefaced by any kind of greeting caught her off guard. She did not recognize the new visitor to sickbay and couldn’t recall having any appointments scheduled. At least not on her calendar. It was possible that she had an appointment with some other medical officer that she could redirect her to. But before she could check that she would need a name.

G'Renn: Ah, of course. ::Anath couldn’t recall any scheduled appointments on her calendar and was already opening the medical record database on her PADD.:: Your name?

Queen: My name is Queen. Doctor Spears performed a surgery on my lungs a while ago and instructed me to regularly come for a check up.

Anath entered the name Queen into the medical record database and waited for any results. It only took a moment for the file just titled “Queen” to appear. Part of her wanted to question if that was actually her given name or if it was just the only name the ship had on record, but it wasn’t really her business. There were no scheduled appointments for her in the sickbay scheduling system, so Anath could handle it herself.

G'Renn: In that case please have a seat. Pick any biobed that you’d like. ::She was already skimming through surgery notes.:: Big picture, would you say the surgery has improved your condition?

While Queen spoke, Anath started the basic diagnostic scans that started most appointments using the biobed’s sensors. A follow-up appointment for a specific surgery would require a bit more detail and focus on the lungs, but a basic set of medical scans could give an immediate indication of any major problems. One eye watched the scan results appearing onscreen while she simultaneously continued to read the surgical summary and notes from Doctor Spears in the record.

Queen: I was a gas miner on Zeltion IV for five years, which had damaged my lungs. ::She explained even though the doctor would be able to read that in her medical file.:: My breathing has been improved since then.

That matched what she had gleamed from the records so far. It was certainly enough for her to conduct a routine follow-up visit. As she closed the surgical notes she caught a glimpse of the species name at the top of the page. Linara. She was not very familiar with that species, but had read some basic information in some of her background research during her trip to the Constitution.

G'Renn: Excellent, and you are a Linara according to your medical records?

Queen: Correct, I am Linara. Have you met my people before?

G'Renn: Not in person ever. I’m very new to the region, only transferred in a week ago. With everything going on I’ve only had time to do some light reading on Linara medicine and physiology.

It only occurred to her after she was finished talking that admitting a complete unfamiliarity with a patient’s species might not inspire confidence. Humanoids were like other humanoids in a lot of the broad details, but there were still substantial differences even between related species like Vulcans and Romulans. Learning more about the medicine of local species in the Marchlands was near the top of her to-do list.

Queen: Response

G’Renn: Don’t worry, pretty much all of my assignments so far have taken me to various unexplored frontiers. Being a quick study for learning the medical needs of new species is something of a speciality of mine. Besides, I have your previous test results to compare to. At the end of the day the main difference between species on these tests are what numbers are considered normal. ::Anath opened her tricorder and prepared to get a more detailed scan of her lungs.:: Slow, deep breaths please.

She held the tricorder steady and watched the readings carefully with each deep breath. There was nothing immediately alarming in the readings.

Queen: Response

G’Renn: How would you describe any current breathing difficulties?

Queen: Response

Despite all of the advanced diagnostic technologies available, one of the most important medical tools was relying on feedback from the patient. A tricorder could detect activity in nerve cells or in the pain centers of the brain but the patient could describe the location, quality, and intensity of the pain and provide additional diagnostic insight that a tricorder just couldn’t provide.

G’Renn: Initial scans all look good. I’d like to do a closer examination of any residual scarring in the lungs. ::Pause:: If I recall correctly Linara have an extreme light sensitivity. I assume that’s the reason for the goggles. Do you take anything regularly to help with that? Any medications?

Her hands were a bit full, otherwise she would have just checked the record for herself.

Queen: Response

Lieutenant Commander Anath G'Renn, M.D.

Medical Officer

USS Constitution-B